Sep 28, 2017
Audenshaw Manchester
Funster No
MH
Compass 180 Rambler
Exp
2017 Just started as Retirement looms in August
Joy
I'm in agreement with others regarding may need new battery,you don't say whereabouts in the country you are but I would give these guys a call from my experience they no everything this is to no about MH Electrics
Falcon Technical
Website
Directions
3.3Broken Link Removed: Hill Farm, Northwich Road, Dutton, Warrington WA4 4LE
Broken Link Removed:
Open ⋅ Closes 5:30PM
Broken Link Removed: 01928 759239

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have not heard from Joy @movan today so she is either OK now or she has frozen to the spot overnight, and we are all sat here waiting for news from her(y)

Martin

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Everything seems ok at the moment ... looks like the gas fan blower was making the 12v cut off. Will keep you informed should anything change. :) xxxx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Everything seems ok at the moment ... looks like the gas fan blower was making the 12v cut off. Will keep you informed should anything change. :) xxxx

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
So come on Joy, what has been the outcome or are you frozen solid in some lay-by ?

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Still holding back on putting blower on until I get to Chester .... so that I have people around me who can tell me where I am going wrong. ;)

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
For info. My leisure batteries are 1.5 years old and i checked the acid levels and found some of the cells were very low with the acid below the top of some of the plates.
Went to my local car shop and bought demineralised battery fluid and topped them up.
The acid bubbles off as the batteries are charged.
That was only after 1.5 years old. If you are on the road using them daily then some of the cells could be dry.
If this is the case then you will need to try and top them up before buying new ones.

Cheers.
Chris.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Still holding back on putting blower on until I get to Chester .... so that I have people around me who can tell me where I am going wrong. ;)
Will my brother be acceptable?

tool.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The acid bubbles off as the batteries are charged.
That was only after 1.5 years old.
This is not normal. When charging a lead-acid battery, the charge current changes the chemistry of the plates. After this is done, and the battery is fully charged, any further charge current will split the acid into gases, which is what the bubbles are.

If your batteries are always bubbling, you need to think about possible overcharging. Maybe the charger is faulty. Intelligent chargers are not very expensive nowadays, compared to the price of a leisure battery.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
As afar as I know the LPG sold in garages for cars to run on is a mixture of Propane and Butane and perhaps others, The refinery changes the mix depending on the likely temperatures. Some countries are perhaps more familiar with this than others. NO you cant siphon LPG back out!

One other point that hasn't ben raised in this most interesting thread is the ability of the control panel to shut off if it encounters low battery volts, I never trust these automatic systems- they can be too clever by half. Can I also say that the "acid" (electrolyte) in the battery doesnt change much but its the water that is driven off in the charging process, thats why you only top up with demineralised water.
Last point. Simple alternator check, start engine at low revs, switch on headlights and any other vehicle load especially rear screen heater if fitted and look at headlights. As the revs gently rise you should see headlights brighten as the alternator cuts in, bear in mind that if battery is low the alternator might cut in at very low revs. By the way its not a "lump of metal" its a winding but I agree that nothing really happens until its revolving

It can all be quite frightening and a steep learning curve, heaven help an impractical newby!

Mike

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It can all be quite frightening and a steep learning curve, heaven help an impractical newby!
Or in my case (when the alternator died) the AA man. Yippee for breakdown cover!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Joy.
I had to order 2 new leasure batteries whilst in Spain.
I used TAYNA battery suppliers who sent me a pair of 100 AH marine and deep cycle leasure batteries, sealed lead acid, delivered to my van (inSpain) for £187 including carriage !!!!
They weighed 24kg each and the carriage was £31..
I thought that was a very good price. And they arrived in 4 days !!!!
Great service and great batteries.
I hope your problem doesn’t come to it, but if it does, I can recommend TAYNA.
No, I don’t get any money for this. (Cheeky bugger)
Much love Joy.
Mitch and Jenny. xx

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I don't know .. I just call it lpg.

You are showing off cos you know more than me. ;) :)
Hi Joy, I rarely put my five pennyworth in these days because whatever I say someone always seems to be waiting in the wings to shoot me down in flames or criticise my advise/remarks, the lpg you are using would be PROPANE if acquired in UK as all UK lpg IS propane abroad it is a mixture of butane/propane. As has been previously mentioned if your refillable bottle is low then it will not "gas off", also whilst a lot of well-meaning funsters have suggested your leisure batteries seem to have given up, I have never had a leisure or engine battery give up after just 3 years ,but again that is down to how you look after and use/maintain them and also if you "understand" them. Remote diagnosis is always hit and miss so without being "on site" to do various checks etc, it can be difficult if not impossible to give an accurate diagnosis. the "clicking" you can hear from the heater is possibly the heater trying to ignite which is using your battery power, BUT whilst it is not igniting the burner because of the aforementioned low gas problem, the fan is running whilst it is waiting for the burner to try and ignite, thereby pulling your battery power to a point where your batteries are "cutting out" your 12v supply. I hope all this is not to confusing as I am only trying to illustrate your problem in the simplest of terms, I don't think it's a serious or necessarily an expensive problem, but I am intending to be at Chester food festival and will explain things more simply to you. Hope this helps, keep warm , will look for you in Chester.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Can I just add a further two pennyworth. The reason that propane is used is because of the temperature at which it becomes a gas. Inside the cylinder it is a liquid contained under pressure. As the cylinder warms due to atmospheric temperature the liquid boils and some of it becomes a gas, just like a kettle boiling and giving off steam. With propane this starts at -42 deg C, with Butane at -1deg C So you get propane in gas form at a lower temperature than butane. Hence in warmer southern Europe you may well get a mixture of the two gases whereas in the colder north, where we are, its all Propane.
Take a look at a cylinder that is supplying gas on a cold day and you will see on the outside a frost line showing just how much liquid is inside.
Hope this helps
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back