Help me to choose a Thatcham 2-1 alarm please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by thewheelbarrow, Nov 8, 2018 at 7:23 AM.

1. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +21,135
    If you're not bothered about having a proper security system why not save yourself £300 getting an iffy one and change insurers, to one that doesn't have a Thatcham requirement :confused:?

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  2. thewheelbarrow

thewheelbarrow Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Most insurers require one.
    I was under the impression that a Thatcham Category 1 was / is a 'proper' security system?

• Love it Love it x 1
  3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,721
    But designed for cars, not motorhomes

4. thewheelbarrow

thewheelbarrow Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    The insurers don't distinguish between the two...
    They just want a proper 'Thatcham Cat 1' alarm...

5. Langtoftlad

Ratings:
    +21,135
    Your money, your choice.
    Outsmartthethief is another MH specific security system...
    https://www.606060.com/motorhome-security-13-p.asp
    Probably no better/cheaper than VanBitz but an alternative
    [I have the Strikeback & No Start ;) for my peace of mind].

6. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +8,721
    But you should. It is your motorhome the alarm is protecting.

Edit: BTW you did ask for suggestions and you got them, so should have no complaints. If you want to you can just ignore them.

7. nickvanbitz

nickvanbitz Funster

Ratings:
    +71
    May I suggest that you take a look at the following link, which takes you through our system:
    https://www.vanbitz.com/wp-content/...EBACK-EVO-FOR-MOTORHOMES-1018-inc-Growler.pdf
    This will also include the comparison chart I mentioned previous, but give you an understanding to our approach on motorhome security.

This equipment isn't Thatcham approved as far as I'm aware and a derived motorcycle alarm, with additions that aren't really suitable for motorcaravan applications (PIR/Pin Switch Bonnet detection etc).

8. thewheelbarrow

thewheelbarrow Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Langtoftlad - thanks for the suggestion. I shall try them also
    Peter - I have no complaints. I've asked for help. I've been given some suggestions. I'm trying to figure out if I should pay in excess of the insurers requirements, and if I do, what benefits that will bring.
    I don't want an 'iffy' one.
    I want a proper one.
    A Thatcham approved system, properly installed.

Gather the data, evaluate, make an informed decision.
    Simples.

• Like it Like it x 1
  9. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Ratings:
    +3,128
    Have a chat with Dave Newell. He has upgraded to Cat 1 both of the vans (Fiat) we have owned and done a fine job.

https://davenewell.co.uk

I would (if I thought we had a need) fit the Vanbitz alarm as it is easily the best on the market.

But we just needed to satisfy the insurers.

Also we live in a reasonably safe part of the UK and mostly stay on sites so never thought we will need the extra.

But don't forget your Funster discount. Request it on booking.

Been proved correct so far - Now that has tempted fate :D

10. Deneb

Deneb Funster

Ratings:
    +392
    It is, but what may be suitable for a white van is not necessarily the most suitable for a motorhome.

Security requirements for LCVs are not as onerous as for cars. Going away from the alarm system itself for a moment, Thatcham do not lay down a de facto standard set of security requirements for vehicles which must be rigorously followed. The security assessment consists of a list of items which are considered desirable, and each item is weighted by being given a certain number of points. The vehicle manufacturer obtains the necessary level of security to enable his vehicle to meet the requirements of the insurance group rating system by including whichever of those items he feels are most convenient for him to include in production whilst attaining the minimum required number of allocated points. Because for instance, Deadlocks are quite heavily weighted on the points scale, it induces manufacturers to include them as an easier way to attain their rating than by perhaps designing in several alternative options that each score lower and would be more inconvenient to insert into the production process.

However, unless your motorhome was built or converted in the UK from a base vehicle manufactured to UK standards for the UK market, the Thatcham vehicle security level is immaterial because vehicles built for other markets including much of Europe don't have to meet it, and the vehicle manufacturers often won't include items that they are not compelled to fit as a matter of course, because it eats into their profit margins.

I'm not certain, but from previous posts here and elsewhere I believe that Fiat campervan chassis and cabs supplied as back to back delivery for Alko or similar chassis to be added by the converter are also not supplied to meet Thatcham security criteria whatever the intended market (UK or otherwise).

So many motorhomes are built on base vehicles which do not meet the UK minimum security criteria laid down by Thatcham, which is in itself less onerous than the criteria for private cars.

In those circumstances, the price of a proper alarm/immobiliser and/or tracking system designed specifically for the motorhome market and costing around 1% or so of the cost of a new motorhome doesn't seem that expensive to me.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Langtoftlad

Ratings:
    +21,135
    As I have a vanbitz product ;), I've not investigated to any degree - I was put off by the myriad of "optional" extras :unsure: but I do know it's well recommended & well reviewed... and they do claim Thatcham...

Ps
    :D2:D2 auto correct changed 'vanbits' to 'bandits :D2:D2

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Deneb

Deneb Funster

Ratings:
    +392
    Off topic, but I remember typing a letter to Mount Vernon hospital which my spell checker changed to Mount Vermin. They seemed to take it well though ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. thewheelbarrow

thewheelbarrow Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Mike - DaveNewell no longer does alarms... fate has indeed been tempted!

Deneb - thanks for the comprehensive reply. Not convinced I can understand it all.... or the implications - but thanks anyway

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +692
    Another vote for the Vanbitz Growler with the non starter option, yes it is a lot of money but the Fun discount helps. If you are strapped for the extra £500 then do the box ticking exercise but be prepared to scrap it in a couple of years when you start to realise you should have gone for the extra.
    You may be very secure at home but it will not be at home all the time, I hope, so:
    • You stop at a supermarket which is a popular place for MH break-ins so you have to sit in the van while the other half does all the shopping? Because the average alarm will not deter the bad guys.
    • You have been stuck in traffic and are really tired and will never get to the site you planned to stay at. So you pull into a car park to sleep for the night. You only have a car alarm you cannot set it while you are moving about inside so you are vulnerable to break-ins and do not rest properly.
    • You get to your site, is it secure? I bet not, so you again can't set just the perimeter alarms.
    • I am sure you can think of many more.
    Getting stolen is an important point for the insurers, peace of mind while I sleep is more important to me. The growler gives me that peace of mind. We rarely stop in sites preferring small aires or the wide open countryside. As soon as we stop whether in a forest, camp site or a car park. The seats turn round and the perimeter alarm is set, we can then totally relax.
    I have no connection with Vanbitz but like the ten or so others above thoroughly recommend them to the point of taking the time to write about it. Another point, 10 years down the line if you still have the same van and you have a problem with the growler, I am confident Eddie and team will not be saying, "Sorry mate only guaranteed 12 months". In fact on my current Hymer we scrapped a perfectly good Hymer fitted alarm which was Motorhome specific to have the growler fitted because the other one didn't seem as good or as easy to use and I couldn't expand it to also cover all the windows. The Growler can be extended as much as you want from the basic spec.
    Whatever your decision, I hope you really enjoy your MoHo.
    Steve
    p.s. I insure in France and Insurance companies don't insist on an alarm at all, but I still fitted the best.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. thewheelbarrow

thewheelbarrow Funster

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks also OAT (Steve)
    I'm not sure that any alarm system will outperform any other in terms of a deterrent effect. I'd never heard of a growler (not in terms of alarms anyway... ;)), nor Toad, nor Sigma. I have heard of Thatcham, as, I suspect, most people, including would be thieves. So if a thief sees Growler on the side of the van, is he less inclined to go for it than if he saw Sigma? What does he think when he sees Thatcham and a flashing LED?

I accept the point re separate setting using a fob and I'll avoid a single key set / reset. The cheaper alternatives do allow zone setting, and they also allow a separate detector for the back of the camper so the perimeter is protected.

Lots of things to consider, but, I've not really read anything that would convince me to pay in the order of a thousand pounds for an alarm system.... perhaps I will live to regret it. Perhaps not. I shall return in due course and update my opinion.

Once again, thanks everyone - I really appreciate your views and opinions.