help me please (1 Viewer)

M

Martin/Gill

Deleted User
I want ot go to France in June in my motorhome with 2 adults and 2 dogs. Can anyone suggest the cheapest route and any further info

Motor home is 7 m long and 3 m high
Thanks

Martin and Gill

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
It all depends on where you live, where in France you are going to and for how long, and whether you are a member of the CC or CCP. With these two organisations you get hefty discounts on cross channel travel, I recommend the CC 'though others will disagree with me ! I always travel Dover - Calais as time is not a factor with me and I like to meander through France to get to Portugal ! Obviously if you live in the West country then Plymouth and Portsmouth or even Southampton come to mind but the costs rise significantly, there are horses for courses and how long is a piece of string !!!! other funsters will be along soon with more advice and information , all gleaned from experience..it is there to be gathered...Good luck with your travels.. :Eeek: :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Martin/Gill

Deleted User
thanks steve
regards martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Go to www.aferryto Google this and it will bring up a programe with all Ferry crossings, We recently traveled Dover Calais return with a similar sized van as yours and a ferry to quoted £54 return, I contacted the Camping and Caravan Club of which I am a member and got the same crossing for fifty pounds.You can be a bit economic with the truth on the size of your van when booking as we have never been measured and I usually lose half a metre when booking, we have never been measured at the Ferry Terminals.We traveled Sea France and came home right in the middle of the recent Fisher mens blockade and were given a free transfer to the tunnel, Well done Sea France.:thumb::thumb:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
We travelled twice to France in the last 6 months with 2 dogs and found the eurotunnel excellant you stay with the dogs and it only takes 25 minutes, Also with tesco vouchers you get 4 times the value which makes it cheaper than the ferries.
I would also recommend that you get your dogs vet checked a days ride from your crossing port to save time around Calais or similar
It always puzzles me why we have to pay for dogs on a site and why our continental cousins on site get a bit shirty if your pooch should attempt to lift his leg anywhere near there pitch. At Bontera park in Spain you have to sign a disclaimer that your animal will not wee or poo on site , i keep telling the old boy but all he does is wag his tail and still p--s where he likes:Doh::Doh::Doh:
Wanderer:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
air miles

A lot of my friends when they visit me use what another funster mentioned TESCO air miles....I have never had them and never used them (but I wished I had) they say sometimes it has only cost them a £3 to come over for 7 days, this is with 1 dog two adults and a Land Rover Discovery...ferry of coarse P&O Dover Calais. I always use the Tunnel to go back to England cost's me a lot of money....I get sea sick badly!!!
Motorhomers.......did you know that you pay £43.00 for a dog to travel form Calais to England on the tunnel but from England back to Calais return is free
Also did you know you can book two individual tickets without return Journeys and they are cheaper than doing a complete booking with outward and inward journey.......maybe its because of the £-euro !!

Me I am traveling back to England in the next 8 days returning 14 days later 2 dogs 2 adults 1 motorhome thro the tunnel..........
313 euros ....wish I had got TESCO air miles.
From a pleasant peasant born in Yorkshire now living in France …Mel

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Norfolkline are usually quite cheap and we use them out of preference for a couple of reasons, no coach parties and no foot passengers. i.e. no hordes of kids running round.
It is best to shop around, travel mid-week and during the small hours.

Best of luck

Rgds
Bill

R

roger loiselle

Deleted User
We came to France on March 1st. we travelled by tunnel, the extra cost, about forty five pounds, was well worth it, 25 minutes sit in the vehicle with your pets, cup of coffee and your there on and off easy.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Tesco vouchers are worth £2.50 = £10 in Eurotunnel costs.

Enough vouchers and you can travel for FREE:winky:

Tesco is where I buy all my diesel.

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
If you plan on making 3 return crossings within the next 12 months then the Sea France carnet is worth considering at £31 per crossing. You have to book 6 crossings (3 returns) however the benefit is that you don't have to book (after the initial crossing) from then onwards. You can just turn up anytime and they guarrantee to get you on within 2 sailings. It doesn't apply to bank holidays though and if you turn up on a bank holiday monday then you may get charged a fee.

It saves all the messing about working back for the 24 hrs wait and the ferry time after having the dog checked. We use Vets a days drive away from Calais - £15 last time and you can use your own frontline as compared with Calais Vets circa £50 a go.

It may be still worth considering even if you don't intend to make 3 return crossings as you can allocate 1 return to another person. £31 per crossing up to 8mtrs long and 3.2 mtrs high. Of course if you think you would use 5 returns in a year then the price comes down to £29 per crossing

just a thought

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Travelling with dogs, the tunnel is far the best. I booked well in advance through the CC and it was cheaper than the ferry.
This could be because of the toad as the tunnel don't seem to charge much for the extra length unlike the ferries.:Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We came to France on March 1st. we travelled by tunnel, the extra cost, about forty five pounds, was well worth it, 25 minutes sit in the vehicle with your pets, cup of coffee and your there on and off easy.
I trust the tea or coffe is in a flask as the gas bottle should be switch off whilst in the tunnel, elf and safety you know.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
TESCO vouchers

I have heard these vouchers mentioned by fellow travellers but not sure how it works. Can anyone help:thumb:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Sign in or register your clubcard Link Removed with the latest vouchers you can do it online all the details are there. Before you order you vouchers see how much you need for your crossing with Eurotunnel (we always book the cheapest one we can get last time it was £61 each way) then contact Eurotunnel to book your crossing , you then convert your vouchers (you can do this online) so for £61 you need to use £15 of clubcard vouchers, this will give you a £60 travel vouchers. You then send off the travel vouchers when they come + any extra to make up the balance so in my case I would need to send an extra £1 each way.

Then just turn up on the day you want to go & I have always gone on the next available train when I got there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back