Help, mains charging ...

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by St.Cyr, Nov 1, 2009.

1. St.Cyr

St.Cyr

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. We have an 80w solar-panel charging 2 leisure batteries. (Starter batteries NOT connected to solar-panel) - If we wanted to charge-up the batteries with a mains charger, at home, would we have to disconnect the panel while using the mains charger? Thanks for any advice! :thumb:

2. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

Ratings:
    +1
    No, your van should be wired so that when you are on hook up [ mains connection ] your batteries [ALL] should be charged from your on board battery charger and when fully charged the charger will be turned off automatically and solar panel should have a regulator to stop any more charge reaching batteries until required.:thumb::thumb: on some vans ,and my ex Eura Mobil was one ,you could switch the battery charger manually,but on my present Hymer all is automatic.:thumb::thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,568
    No, you can charge your batteries from any source, simultaniously.:thumb:

4. St.Cyr

St.Cyr

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks!! :thumb:

5. The Wallace

The Wallace

Ratings:
    +2
    St.Cyr, you don't say whether your conversion is wired as per a modern motorhome (when the above advice applies) or if you intend just connecting a free standing charger to your battery.
    Depending on the make/wiring of your solar panels there could be issues with the latter method.
    If in doubt consult your solar panel instructions.

6. St.Cyr

St.Cyr

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi. As far as I can see the solar-panel just charges the 2 leisure batteries. It has not been altered at all since we acquired the van ... Was just wanting to check that I wouldn't damage the solar gubbins by charging with a normal mains charger - thought may be best to disconnect the solar panel while using the charger ... Not having done the conversion ourselves it's taking a while to suss out the electrics!

Thanks for all the help so far!! :thumb:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +27,568
    my 120w panel is connected to the mains charger output (12v) wires and i dont disconnect the panel when on hookup.

cant see any difference between a standalone charger and the onboard mains charger as the solar panel will have a blocking diode (possibly 2) to stop any current returning to the panel.

8. St.Cyr

St.Cyr

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks very much for the help! Just wanted to charge up the leisure batteries with a mains charger - to help out the solar-panel while the days are short and dull, without blowing anything up! Obviously we could disconnect the s/p while using the stand alone charger - presumably when it's reconnected it'll just resume working as normal ... ?

:Smile:

9. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite

Ratings:
    +18
    :Cool: NO. I have been doing just that for the last 2 days bringing my batteries back up to full charge so I can then equalize them with the Solar Controller. :thumb:

10. St.Cyr

St.Cyr

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks, that's reassuring. :thumb: