LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Help please! Went to the motorhome today to check the engine started and realised that my waterproof, hanging up, was saturated. The water has come from the ceiling which was soaking ... it must have been a downpour as the coat was soaked as was the floor.

The wet ceiling spread from the wall right up to the roof window ... is it possible that it could just be the sealant round the window that has gone? The main wet part is over to the side of the roof, but I guess that water finds it lowest level so hopefully it is just running down to there from a small leak. I had no way of looking on the roof and will have to sort somewhere out to get up there and look but if prepared might stop panicking.

If not this what else could it be please, and will it be expensive?:Sad:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Help leaks again

:Sad:Help please! Went to the motorhome today to check the engine started and realised that my waterproof, hanging up, was saturated. The water has come from the ceiling which was soaking ... it must have been a downpour as the coat was soaked as was the floor.

The wet ceiling spread from the wall right up to the roof window ... is it possible that it could just be the sealant round the window that has gone? The main wet part is over to the side of the roof, but I guess that water finds it lowest level so hopefully it is just running down to there from a small leak. I had no way of looking on the roof and will have to sort somewhere out to get up there and look but if prepared might stop panicking.

If not this what else could it be please, and will it be expensive?:Sad:
It's possible that some snow could have blown under your Heki and caused the water ingress or you could have a dodgy window seal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
more than likely it's the roof light seal has failed.

needs sorting fast if its coming in that much.

as a temporary fix take some gaffa tape up there and once thoroughly dried off it will seal until you can make a proper repair.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Joy by roof window I take it you mean a roof light / vent ?
Until you get up there and check it could be as simple as roof light seal which needs removing drying/ cleaning and resealing to (depending on type of roof on your van) roof joints needing sealing :Doh: Best tocheck where the water has got in before we start to give you bad news and worrying you :winky:Will give better advise once we know what caused the problem :thumb: but it needs sorting sooner rather than later- try a temp seal with gaffer tape or something because they have forcast more rain,or even get up there and dry reseal around the edges of roof light.You can always clean it up later if you make a mess.Not ideal but better to stop water getting in :Smile:
terry
edit Snap John as I was typing hehee
edit 2 if unsure dry/gaffer tape the joints across the roof as well -noticed you have an Eldiss so assume you have ali roof

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Thank heavens for gaffa tape! Mine's festooned with the stuff, until I get her in the dry and fix things! Most of it is 'just in case'.

Movan so hope you manage to get up there and get yourself sorted! I hate water leaks - they are such a worry.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't panic. Oh, you have.

Fingers crossed, with the weather we've been having, you could have got a local lake round your roof-light that allowed water to rise to the vent level.

Mine will do this if there is enough rain, it's at an odd angle and the wind blows hard. It's only done it twice in many years.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Hekis are prone to leaking as they are so large, and the body flexes as you drive.

You need to get a temporary seal around as soon as possible.

Don't use Gaffa, as it won't last long. Use some UV Stable repair tape - looks like a large roll of sellotape. That will cure for now, and last until spring. If you can, park you van on an angle to aid water flowing off the roof.

Here you go - http://groceries.asda.com/asda-esto...e=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=351005

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Joy,

Definately park it on an angle so the rain will not settle on the roof and leak in,

Drive it up some levellers or a plank with bricks underneath and get some heating going inside to dry it out.

Good luck

Peter

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:thumb:Thank you all so much for your replies. I am phoning up today for an appointment to have it all sealed round the window. Wish I could save money by doing it myself but maybe I will in the future progress to this.... but you have put my mind at rest ... so not panicking now. Thank you.:thumb: Joy

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Insist it is removed and resealed - no bodging!

When it has been done, and you are home, remove the grill around the outside, as it will aid the frame drying out.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
DO NOT go to the place the penguin went to to get his motorhome checked he took his van in as he had an oil leak ,the workshop man said go a walk around the town and come back in an hour.He went in the icecream parlour and had a big glass full while he waited and made his way back to the workshop.The workshop man said to the penguin"you have blown a seal" the penguin said " its icecream honest" as he furiously wiped his mouth.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I keep some of this in The MH in case of emergencies,but can be a bugger to get off,when you do permanent fix.
Link Removed

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
Ive also bought a tube of Carafax non drying bedding sealant which would be a good temporary fix but easy enough to clean off for a repair.Can you not stick your head out of the rooflight to have a nose around at the mastic joints?

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Ive also bought a tube of Carafax non drying bedding sealant which would be a good temporary fix but easy enough to clean off for a repair.Can you not stick your head out of the rooflight to have a nose around at the mastic joints?

You carnt ask a lady to that man:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back