Help! I've killed my computer (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
No way would I want to use a tablet all the time ... give me a proper keyboard any day!

I agree - I like a ‘proper’ keyboard too.

On my laptop, the cd drive died with a windows update and the screen has now failed. With all the external plug-ins, it’s now no more than a storage device but I still like it better than my phone or tablet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
... give me a proper keyboard any day!
Much easier to be a warrier with one!:active::whistle:
And agree, partition the drive with OS in one and data in the other.(y) Unless you're multi-booting where you have a partition for each OS and one for data.:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Much easier to be a warrier with one!:active::whistle:
:D ... being a typist I can be a very, VERY fast warrior too! :sneaky::D2

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Finally brought the computer back to life. After running the recovery the computer worked. Then after I had set it all up, it failed again. This time I was able to get into the boot menu and I rebooted it from the rescue memory stick. A complete reboot and it's working fine so far. I've not rushed to do a full set up this time. I'll finish it tomorrow if it's still behaving.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
PS I still like a "proper" computer. Tablets and phones are ok but for real work I'll take a computer every time. I even have on on the TV instead of a "smart" TV.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My machine went crash again a couple of days ago (I'm still away) so the wife got my mate in. We're not sure how but he eventually got it into the recovery process and all was working again.

Until today. It's going to have to wait for me to go home now. Fortunately it's still under warranty so a trip to Curry's is on the programme.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
My machine went crash again a couple of days ago (I'm still away) so the wife got my mate in. We're not sure how but he eventually got it into the recovery process and all was working again.

Until today. It's going to have to wait for me to go home now. Fortunately it's still under warranty so a trip to Curry's is on the programme.
If you can reboot it yourself you may be able to save your data. If you take it back to Currys everything will be deleted.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I had an issue with My windows 10 'home brewed' desktop and eventually narrowed it down to a driver issue with a video card that MS decided they or the vendor would no longer support after one of their updates! New £30.00 video card and voila happy PC! The symptons were sporadic blue screens for no apparent reason with various different error messages.

Not so easy, nae impossble, to replace video cards on laptops but it is worth checking driver versions with the manufacturer's website. If you have a laptop that 'fails' for this reason and want to keep it Linux is the way to go. I have three aincent laptops running Linux waiting to go on ebay for spares running linux with no issues.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sods Law! The missus just told me that she has just tried it again and it fired up without problems!!!!!

Doncha just luv electrickeryonics?

Edit - spellchecker just accepted that word ??????????

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a Nas drive with two hard drives running mirrored raid for data, so if one drive fails the data is intact on the other drive.

Still not foolproof, last Nas drive electronics failed. Although the discs were OK nas drives run a version of Linux OS. Even though they were windows files I couldn't access them from a Windows computer it was a right PIA getting my files back.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Sods Law! The missus just told me that she has just tried it again and it fired up without problems!!!!!

Doncha just luv electrickeryonics?

Edit - spellchecker just accepted that word ??????????
Back up anything you want to keep in case it fails again

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I am a bit anal about data. I save everything to an external hard drive and also back up to a USB stick then once a month I back up to another hard drive. I've had a computer for years and once lost everything. Back in the old days I had a zip drive for back up. It had 100mb per disc.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have a Nas drive with two hard drives running mirrored raid for data, so if one drive fails the data is intact on the other drive.

Still not foolproof, last Nas drive electronics failed. Although the discs were OK nas drives run a version of Linux OS. Even though they were windows files I couldn't access them from a Windows computer it was a right PIA getting my files back.
Could you have taken the hdd out of the nas, connected it to your Windows machine and run a "trial" version of Linux from cd \ usb on it to access the files? Just asking 'cause thinking about going down the nas route but not sure on an "integrated" unit or a Pi with hdd's attached.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could you have taken the hdd out of the nas, connected it to your Windows machine and run a "trial" version of Linux from cd \ usb on it to access the files? Just asking 'cause thinking about going down the nas route but not sure on an "integrated" unit or a Pi with hdd's attached.
That's what I did, still had trouble and new Nas drive wouldn't recognize the discs. Found a Windows program in the end that allowed access.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Back up anything you want to keep in case it fails again

I keep all my data on external drives so not too worried about data loss. Just be a bit of a pain reloading a few extra programmes I use

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back