Help identifying positive and negative please. (1 Viewer)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
The box and the plug are sealed that's why I me stumped :(
I'll dig out my multimeter. (y)
Just get a new spare jack plug correct size from Maplins along with some new cable and make your own 12vdc lead. Once you cut off the transformer lead on your new unit the warranty is void.

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
But without a hole how would you slide it onto the cucumber?
Hmmm, condoms on cucumbers, that's either a waste of a condom or a waste of a cucumber of a little bit odd sort of a sex life. :whistle2::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Badknee

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just get a new spare jack plug correct size from Maplins along with some new cable and make your own 12vdc lead. Once you cut off the transformer lead on your new unit the warranty is void.
All done now thanks (y)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Electronic device manufacturers don't usually make their own power bricks, they buy them in. Every power brick I've ever seen has centre positive, outer negative. Of course, this one might just be the exception...

Another point worth making is that the device uses a 12V regulated supply. That's 12.0 volts give or take about 0.2 volts. The leisure battery voltage will vary anywhere from 11.5V to 14.5V, depending on whether it's being charged or not. Depending on the design, the device may well be damaged by this variation. Not necessarily immediately, but eventually.

If it's only used when you're not on EHU and the engine is off you'll probably get away with it, unless you have a solar panel too.

I'd suggest you use a DC-DC regulator. It will take probably 11 to 18V as input,and send out a nicely regulated 12.0V. Get one that can supply the amps required, it will be written in very small writing on the power brick label.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Positive. +

1409959005359_wps_21_Nigel_Farage_Leader_of_UK.jpg

Negative. -

David-Cameron-Sad-1-700x432.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
bought a freeview recorder at the weekend so that we can load it up here and watch when away. I was expecting it to be 230volts which is ok but delighted to find its 12v.

Now the question, I want to cut the transformer off the power cable but wondering which might be the positive and which the negative?

Any ideas please as its not colour coded?

View attachment 111637
I'd be interested to know which recorder you bought, sounds like it could be useful.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back