Help.......I have a problem with my lap top (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks for viewing......I have a laptop that I want to pass on to my grand kids. It has all it's faculties and runs Vista.
My problem is that it wont connect to the server......same with Firefox and IE. It has a good network connection of which I have tried others but I cant get on line. Any help would be appreciated.:thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
hammer.jpg

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Bottons...

What error messages are you getting?

Are you using wifi? hard wired?

Can you ping?

ShiftZZ

(PS, may have been better posted in Computers).. No doubt someone will come up with the answer, but more info required...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Bottons...

Can you ping?

ShiftZZ

(PS, may have been better posted in Computers).. No doubt someone will come up with the answer, but more info required...
Thanks I will get back in a couple of mins:thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Bottons...

Can you ping?

ShiftZZ

Error message..... Unable to connect
Firefox cant establish a connection to the server at google.co.uk
The site could be temo unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few mins.
If you are unable to load any pages check your comp network connection.
If your com is protected by a firewall or procy, make sure that Firefox ispermitted to access the web.

Using wifi
Not sure about ping but will try.
Ta

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How do you ping while not being on line?
I am using another lap top on the same wifi without any problems.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
you dont have a connection to the internet if you have used with the wireless router before it should pick it up,,if not you will need to put the code in for the new router,,,,if using through a link up cable,,it should just connect..if trying through a wireless router make sure your wireless button for connection is enabled ..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'm no expert but will try a few obvious suggestions that you've probably already tried.....

Are you connected to your wireless router?

Do you need to put in a code to access the wifi router - and if so is it both in AND correct?

Have you tried to connect using another connection (say at McDonalds)?

Are you in range of the router? The older devices didn't have the same range as the newer ones. The laptop I use picks up wifi out in the garden - my old laptop doesn't, I have to be within about 3 metres of the router for it to work.

Other than switch everything off (laptops and router), wait 10 minutes and switch it all back on again I can't help much.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
also try resetting router,,,not by turning off and on, but by pressing the reset button...

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Also I've just been reminded that some wireless routers will only allow a set number of device connections.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm no expert but will try a few obvious suggestions that you've probably already tried.....
Are you connected to your wireless router?
Do you need to put in a code to access the wifi router - and if so is it both in AND correct?
Have you tried to connect using another connection (say at McDonalds)?

Are you in range of the router? The older devices didn't have the same range as the newer ones. The laptop I use picks up wifi out in the garden - my old laptop doesn't, I have to be within about 3 metres of the router for it to work.

Other than switch everything off (laptops and router), wait 10 minutes and switch it all back on again I can't help much.
Thanks yes I Have gone through the checks and rebooted. I can confirm that I have a good wifi connection with the correct pass number. I have used this laptop for some time through the same wifi connection so in theory it should work will keep trying.:thumb: Thanks

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
also try resetting router,,,not by turning off and on, but by pressing the reset button...
Thanks but the router is 100% with other devices and is showing a good signal connected to the problem unit.:thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
try a hard wire, just to see if that works.
I'll try that a bit later but in theory it is displaying the perfect network connection. I have changed over to my 2nd network connection with the same problem, sort of eliminates a problem with the wifi signal....I think:Blush:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I'll try that a bit later but in theory it is displaying the perfect network connection. I have changed over to my 2nd network connection with the same problem, sort of eliminates a problem with the wifi signal....I think:Blush:[/QUOTE

Not being a fully fledged techie and geek, I suspect its either the settings on your wifi card, or a faulty one... Try the hard wire later, that may work and eliminate the wifi bit...

Besides that, I am struggling, there are plenty on here who are far more capable than I...

Good luck..

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
try turning off laptop and back on again,,sometimes hard drive need to re configure settings...

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'll try that a bit later but in theory it is displaying the perfect network connection. I have changed over to my 2nd network connection with the same problem, sort of eliminates a problem with the wifi signal....I think:Blush:[/QUOTE

Not being a fully fledged techie and geek, I suspect its either the settings on your wifi card, or a faulty one... Try the hard wire later, that may work and eliminate the wifi bit...

Besides that, I am struggling, there are plenty on here who are far more capable than I...

Good luck..
Thanks shifty I will give that a go a bit later when I have completed all my daily chores.:Smile:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Chores must be done by now buttons.. have you paid the cleaning lady and gardiner yet ?

Get the maid to serve you ice lemon tea on the lawn.. ::bigsmile:

:winky:

Settle back and have a read here.. Microsoft Answers.. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/troubleshoot-problems-finding-wireless-networks
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks Jim I will give that a go shortly when I'm done:winky: Looks promising.
Did I tell you about the iced coffee that I had while on holiday. Absolute tat, made me feel quite sick.:Smile: As a non smoker you would be wise to give it a miss too.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back