Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Hi all

The first of many newbie posts no doubt.....thanks in advance for all your help! :)

I purchased a 1992 Hymer 544 recently and have been checking out how everything works.

For the gas supply, instead of small gas canisters stored in the outside compartments there is a large LPG tank which as been fitted underneath the chassis at the side. It's got a few taps on it but I'm not sure what they are all for.

The red handle with the pair of arrows on it seems to control whether gas is released from the tank and I gather the valve is open when the arrows are parallel to the direction of gas flow. So the picture below depicts the valve in the open position.

20120616_164107_1.jpg

20120616_164107.jpg

- What does the other red handle with AUF written on it do?
- What is the silver disc with small red button on it for? and what does the button do?
- There's also the black knob on the right hand side of the picture, what is this for?

Also, can anyone shed any light on how I can tell how much gas is left in the tanks.

Filling up? What's the correct procedure?

Cheers all!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
- What does the other red handle with AUF written on it do?
- What is the silver disc with small red button on it for? and what does the button do?
- There's also the black knob on the right hand side of the picture, what is this for?

Also, can anyone shed any light on how I can tell how much gas is left in the tanks.

Filling up? What's the correct procedure?

Cheers all!

Auf == Off, so is the isolator
silver disc is the pressure regulator to supply gas at a correct pressure
red button it to clear airlocks in the regulator
black knob is a hand wheel holding the cover on. unscrew to remove cover

probably find a contents guage under the cover

filling up...... dont until the tank has been checked to ensure that the rust hasnt compromised it

when its passed testing, drive to a garage that sells autogas lpg... turn off the valve to isolate low pressure side. follow instructions on pump, as in push into fill connector, turn half turn. use locking device on hose then hold button in on pump till tank is either full or reached your limit. let go of the button and disconnect hose, but be prepared for a loud release of some gas. this is normal. when done turn isolator back on

simple really

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Answers as above - might be worth checking that the filler connection is the correct type - undo the black knob, remove the plate and look for the brass connection - we used to have one on our first Hymer and the bayonet fixing was removable to replace with a european one.
If I remember rightly the gauge was under the cover as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Many thanks to you both for your informative replies. Very helpful.
I'll take the metal plate of and check for a gauge.

I guess best practice when driving is to turn the gas off. Where is this best done? Using the taps under the sink? The red tap on the tank or the red AUF tap on the tank?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had the same fitting on my 544 the red lever is the isolation switch for the BBQ take off to the extreme left,the tank shut off is under the over retained by the black knob,mine was a brass turn wheel. Everything else is correct but do check the tank
As for the filling point,mine needed an adapter in the uk,Calor depots had them and they only charged 5% vat when filling.
The best thing fitted,I filled up whenever I could an no heaving bottles around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Thanks for all the replies.

Took the grey cover off and as advised, there's a shut off valve and filling valve under there together with a meter indicating how full the tank is in %.

20120622_152311.jpg

So when I'm on the move and need to turn the gas off should I use the small red handle on the left with the arrows or the brass tap under the metal cover?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The red lever is only for the BBQ take of to the left as you look at it.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
looking at the filler on the right you may need one of these to fill in the uk.

Link Removed

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Going on the images provided, it looks as if the BBQ take off point "may" also be used to connect an external cylinder using it's own regulator, ie, like an "extend a stay" set up, but only after the main tank and regulator have been isolated, using the toggle valve and tank isolation valve.

A similar set up was already installed on our MH.

Regards,

Jock.

OP
OP
C

cmb

Free Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hmyer 544
Exp
Thanks for all the replies!

Went out this weekend and have been using the brass knob to shut off when moving.

I also managed to fill up and found the previous owner had left one of the adapters aba suggested in the storage drawers underneath. The tank was 20% full and I got 80% LPG for £30. Bargain.

Wild camping this weekend so I'll see how far the gas actually goes.

Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back