Help - how do I get BBC and ITV on Satellite??? (1 Viewer)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Can someone please help!!

2 days ago we could receive excellent BBC 1, 2 and ITV on our crappy little satellite receiver in a suitcase! (we were just outside Perpignon)

One moment it was coming in clear and well, the next it was gone and we can't find it again.

We have tuned into Astra 28.2E and have a really good signal, but can only (out of 382 different channels) find Sky news, BBc World, CNN and Eurosport. (in English)
We have all the Russian, Italian, French, German etc etc

Can anyone suggest what we are doing wrong??

Ginny

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp

2 days ago we could receive excellent BBC 1, 2 and ITV on our crappy little satellite receiver in a suitcase! (we were just outside Perpignon)

One moment it was coming in clear and well, the next it was gone and we can't find it again.

We have tuned into Astra 28.2E and have a really good signal, but can only (out of 382 different channels) find Sky news, BBc World, CNN and Eurosport. (in English)

Ginny

hi proberly dish no big enough when in europe the suitcase one ok for uk but need a bigger dish for europe:winky:

see here

ray

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Are you sure that you are still on the right satellite? As mentioned above it is very difficult to get BBC or ITV on such a small dish in the south of France. I use an 80cm dish and lose BBC and ITV around Barcelona. As you may know the Beeb and co do not transmit a very strong signal as it is only intended for reception in the UK. Most of the channels that you can receive down there are transmitted at a much higher power on a different satellite.

Phil.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Are you sure that you are still on the right satellite? As mentioned above it is very difficult to get BBC or ITV on such a small dish in the south of France. I use an 80cm dish and lose BBC and ITV around Barcelona. As you may know the Beeb and co do not transmit a very strong signal as it is only intended for reception in the UK. Most of the channels that you can receive down there are transmitted at a much higher power on a different satellite.

Hi Phil, I think you have hit the nail on the head. The signal we were using for BBC and ITV was much weaker than the one which is 'blasting in' at the moment, but we cant find the weaker signal, so I guess I have just made my case for buying a new system for the roof of the motorhome at Stratford!!

Will the automatic systems pull in BBC in Spain? or are we still going to have the same problem??

Ginny

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Sounds like your Digi Box has simply switched over from the north beam to the south beam. The only way to get it back is with a larger Dish. a 66 - 70 dish should have been ok to araound Barcilona, however the furthet south yo go the bigger the dish, upto a metre.

Footprints & Dish Sizes.

Don

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a couple next to us near valencia were using a 1.2mtr dish :Eeek:on a tripod to get bbc and itv.:thumb:
he said anything smaller was a waste of time.:Angry:

john.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Ginny

Hi Ginny
We never get BBC or ITV progs. down there, but on our Sky dgi box we can get a lot of different channels.
Are you using a Sky box or your other receiver?

Keith

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all your help and advice guys, the little susitcase dish worked fine for France, and we will have to 'make do' with Sky news, BBC world and Eurosport. We have lots of DVD's, and our current site has free WiFi, so we are happy.

It is interesting to hear that even the very expensive automatic dishes don't work any better than the little cheap, stick on the side of the motorhome ones though!

We decided against bringing the Sky receiver, I didn't really think the small dish would work and thought I would be better off recording my favourite Sky 1 programs for when we returned home.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Here's a thought, if Keith tunes in his satellite receiver first and then the Sky box, does that mean that we can receive the Sky programs even though we can't pull in BBC and ITV???

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Here's a thought, if Keith tunes in his satellite receiver first and then the Sky box, does that mean that we can receive the Sky programs even though we can't pull in BBC and ITV???

Yes Ginny you can get some of your Sky channels but you need a card for the slot on the Sky box. Sky will tell you you cannot take it outside the UK but lots of us do & it works. The problem with the Sky box is the tuning is very slow it will be much quicker with your other receiver but once the dish is set plug in the Sky box & then wait. It takes a while for the signal to get organized in the Sky box but you will get some channels. The other thing you have to do is change from the North beam to the South beam & Sat. for Caravens will explain how to do it, as well as lots of other info. HERE IS THE LINK
A trick I found from sat. for Caravans web site was to go to Sky news first and let it play for a while & it seems to drag other progs. in.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
We used the same reciever as you but with a 1.1m dish at benicissim during winter but still lost bbc and itv most nights around 5.30 once we managed till 8.00 pm

Steve

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Keith, Thanks again for the information, I have copied it and the link, we will definitely be bringing the sky receiver next time.

We had a nice surprise yesterday afternoon, do you remember Derek and Chris from Newark (he bought the suitcase system from another motorhome fun member) they are on their way up to France, whilst we are going further south. We had a lovely meal at the restaurant on the site, and raised a few glasses, some of them thanking you for your help with the satellite dish. Michael talked Keith through setting the dish up again, and they had their first tv for 3 weeks!!

Ginny

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back