Help help help me please, how do I by-pass my lap top passwords. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a number of old laptops that are still in good order but no idea of what the passwords are. I have Win 7-8-10 that I don't want to loose much of the content of. I have read about password cracking cd's like NTpasswd but do they really work. I really don't want to loose any of the content. Is it possible. Thanks.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Perhaps one for you Gromett although I do realise Windows is not your bag ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have a number of old laptops that are still in good order but no idea of what the passwords are. I have Win 7-8-10 that I don't want to loose much of the content of. I have read about password cracking cd's like NTpasswd but do they really work. I really don't want to loose any of the content. Is it possible. Thanks.
You can always crack open the laptop with a lump hammer.........

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If they are Apple laptops they are worth saving. Old windows laptops are doorstops at best, or if you can get in; it might still have enough power to be a fax machine (y) . :D

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If they are Apple laptops they are worth saving. Old windows laptops are doorstops at best, or if you can get in; it might still have enough power to be a fax machine (y) . :D
Umm these are good laptops not your normal run of the mill apple jobbies. My problem is I get a new one and file the previous one away without recording the detail. With the memory not being as good as it was and all that, I Look for something then think, I know where that is but alas entry is barred....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Umm these are good laptops not your normal run of the mill apple jobbies.

If you don't have the passwords you won't get to the data. But you will if you do as the gasman advises above Just remove the drive. Buy one of these and you'll be able to read all your data and you'll have a handy backup drive for your new laptop (y)

Amazon product ASIN B07D2BHVBD

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As long as it is the Windows password you've forgotten I understand there are ways and means - someone will know how. I'd think demounting the drives should work.

But if it's the BIOS password forget it - impossible to break.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Try this, it worked for me a few years ago.

The hidden Admin works :) Also if you have a windows account you can reset through that I think - but don't ask me how. After the last time I forgot the password on my old pc and reset it I wrote it on a sticky note and stuck that on the keyboard. Not the full password but all in the correct case and all letters where I also use numbers so at least I had a clue :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A couple of options.
1) recover data by plugging hard drive into another computer (won't work if you have enabled encryption)
2) use a bootable linux usb stick, then use the file explorer in Linux to copy the files. (best method as you don't need to take lap top to pieces.

Once you have the data you can either then use a Linux cd to run a windows password reset.
OR
Just do a clean install.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
As described, booting using a Linux USB stick, or putting the drive in a caddy, will get you access to the drive folders. One problem you might have is not being able to see inside user folders, if that's where you keep your data. So you'll need to be able to crack the user password in that case.

Actually what you want to do is RESET the user password, to a new password. That is easier, and there are methods to do this. This is more permissible than cracking a password, which can allow access without the user being alerted. When the password is reset to a new one, the user will know next time they log on.

I know it's being wise after the event, but maybe take the opportunity and start using a password app like LastPass, which stores all the passwords you want in encrypted form on the web. You can get them back on any computer or phone browser if you know your one single master password.

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A couple of options.
1) recover data by plugging hard drive into another computer (won't work if you have enabled encryption)
2) use a bootable linux usb stick, then use the file explorer in Linux to copy the files. (best method as you don't need to take lap top to pieces.

Once you have the data you can either then use a Linux cd to run a windows password reset.
OR
Just do a clean install.
Thanks Gromett I will have to decipher the instructions then see what I can do... (y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you don't have the passwords you won't get to the data. But you will if you do as the gasman advises above Just remove the drive. Buy one of these and you'll be able to read all your data and you'll have a handy backup drive for your new laptop (y)

Amazon product ASIN B07D2BHVBD
Thanks Gasman and Jim I now have a few options to start....(y)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Save yourself the bother of trying to crack the forgotten password.
Take the hard drive out, get a USB adapter / cage for it and plug it into another PC.
Tehn run a free utility called Recuva on it and take off what you want...
Make sure you have enough space on the working PC to save all the files if they are large one..

this is the adapter you need to plug the bare hard drive into.
Amazon product ASIN B004JO1Z52

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Save yourself the bother of trying to crack the forgotten password.
Take the hard drive out, get a USB adapter / cage for it and plug it into another PC.
Tehn run a free utility called Recuva on it and take off what you want...
Make sure you have enough space on the working PC to save all the files if they are large one..

this is the adapter you need to plug the bare hard drive into.
Amazon product ASIN B004JO1Z52
Thanks HandyAndy that looks like an option too..... (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If Windows laptop remove hard drive and get a drive to USB adapter (sata/ide) and plug it into your present laptop.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
If you want to leave everything intact then you can download a linux based password reset cd. I have used one several times and it only takes 5 mins to reset the admin password to blank. Youy can then reboot and access the disc as usual.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Last time I attempted to open an old lappy it was so old the inbuilt system battery was dead so everything had gone anyway.
the BIOS battery may be dead, but the data is still on the old hard drive

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How did you get on with it?
To be honest I have not yet made a start, I have a couple to do, one being a lap top and the other being an extremely powerful desk top gaming pc. I am still open for any help you can give I want to have some sort of confidence before I get stuck in. Thanks for asking..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back