Help! Has anyone had recent vet advice about taking dogs to Southern France/Italy? (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
I've searched in these forums and other sources but am very confused. We will be taking our dogs to Northern Italy and Southern France in mid May for about a month. We want to do all we can to protect them against all the nasty things they could get. It seems that Milbemax should cover them for the worm type things- including lungworm (I think that may be a quite recent change - I read that Advocate was the only product to prevent lungworm but I think that's out of date????) and Advantix (which we use against ticks in UK) should protect against fleas, ticks and sandflies. But - I've read about a Spanish vet recommending Advantix and Cardotek and Scalibor collar. I'm not sure UK vets prescribe Cardotek (I think Milbemax does the same) and I don't know why the Scalibor collar would be recommended if you are already using Advantix. Other sites say that you shouldn't use Scalibor and Advantix together. Can anyone help! Many thanks.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our UK vet recommended a Scalibor collar and the French vet when we had Stanley wormed for the return trip also recommended and sold the Scalibor collar.
For protection against sand flies and ticks.
Found the Scalibor collar about half the price of the vets online.
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Orchid288

Free Member
Mar 26, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, my vet has advised a scalibor collar as well as the best thing for the sandflies. Are they an issue all over France / Spain or just certain regions?
Jo

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Where as I do believe that the Scalibor collar is the best protection, do watch your dog like a hawk when your first put it on.

Some dogs to have a bad reaction to them, as ours did. Although she was fine with it last year, this year she couldn't tolerate the collar and wouldn't stop scratching her neck, I saw a red raw patch on her neck I took it off her. Luckily we had some Advantix in the van too so we are applying that monthly at the moment.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, my vet has advised a scalibor collar as well as the best thing for the sandflies. Are they an issue all over France / Spain or just certain regions?
Jo
Not so much in Normandy and North Brittany but the further south you go the more like they are to be a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use advocate monthly as normal and additionaly a scalibor collar a week before we leave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back