Help!.. Getting towed off pitch - Peterboro (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Useful thread this, no pun intended. I must find if I have a towing eye and check it fits and everything is lubricated which should be. :)
Yes. I have a towing eye, it was in the roll which has the jack. Probably need to buy a strap to do the towing with now.:D

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Well I just made an "attempt" to escape....

Got a good run-up... Managed a good fifty yards or so... To finally grind to a halt five yards from terra-firma!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Never been stuck since I fitted the Toyo m&s tyres so thought getting off at Chester would have been a doddle, well it would have been if the handbrake calipers hadn't decided to stick on :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If one leaves one's towing eye in situ, the little cover which conceals the aperture from prying eyes, will just continue to dangle down on it's little retaining thingybah (until it most likely breaks off - or is helped to do so by some itinerant ne'er do well) and mar the sleek lines of one's front bumper.

So one has replaced one's own in the case provided, underneath one's front passenger seat !

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
If one leaves one's towing eye in situ, the little cover which conceals the aperture from prying eyes, will just continue to dangle down on it's little retaining thingybah (until it most likely breaks off - or is helped to do so by some itinerant ne'er do well) and mar the sleek lines of one's front bumper.

So one has replaced one's own in the case provided, underneath one's front passenger seat !

One doesn't have a flappy bit...

Got pulled off soon after my last post...
Bus is back on the drive now

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Long enough and lubricated !!
Isn't motor homing fun !!
Mitch.... :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Only trouble with leaving it permanently in situ is that next time you're on a muddy field and need towing off you can bet some 'old oik' will have nicked it to use on theirs 'cause they had only got a little one!!! :LOL:

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Only trouble with leaving it permanently in situ is that next time you're on a muddy field and need towing off you can bet some 'old oik' will have nicked it to use on theirs 'cause they had only got a little one!!! :LOL:

But..!... When it's in... How would one establish or know... If it's a better fit than the useless thing one has in one's hand?.... :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
But..!... When it's in... How would one establish or know... If it's a better fit than the useless thing one has in one's hand?.... :D
Us ladies would use our knowledge of such things to be able to determine if it was big enough ... experience dear boy is a wonderful thing! :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Common problem on A Class vans, one of the first things I did when I took delivery of my van was to check the towing eye was correct, shouldn't have bothered should have known Hymer would get it right.:)

Last edited:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
watched a few tuggers and euroboxs being towed off on sunday morning, myseld and the rv parked near me just drove off.
big trye marks left on the grass, but didnt get stuck.:imoutahere:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
watched a few tuggers and euroboxs being towed off on sunday morning, myseld and the rv parked near me just drove off.
big trye marks left on the grass, but didnt get stuck.:imoutahere:
We were parked just in front of the RV's and most of them left without any drama.

This one got stuck parking up on the Thursday but managed a self rescue with his hydraulic jacks and some planks of wood.
image.jpeg

Martin

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Back in 2010 we bought a new Watertrail Chieftain only to find out the wrong towing eye was supplied when I rang the dealer (Clownhills) the reply was pop in on your way past and we will take a look I would have loved to but could not get towed out of the field total tossers I did manage to order one from a local Fiat dealer near to the field which arrived the next day but a lot of running about at my expence and Brownhills said I should have checked it was right before using the van I do not think I will buy from them again:(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Back in 2010 we bought a new Watertrail Chieftain only to find out the wrong towing eye was supplied when I rang the dealer (Clownhills) the reply was pop in on your way past and we will take a look I would have loved to but could not get towed out of the field total tossers I did manage to order one from a local Fiat dealer near to the field which arrived the next day but a lot of running about at my expence and Brownhills said I should have checked it was right before using the van I do not think I will buy from them again:(
Watertrail Chieftain :X3:(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Ground anchor and electric winch for the summer then? Wettest on record etc etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back