LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not used it for ages ... lettuce cooks quite well without it.

Tried to light it this week ..and nothing. There was a small explosion at one point as though it was igniting after an air block but it went straight out again... suspect air blocks therefore.

Shall I turn the oven gas on without lighting the oven and leave it for a few minutes to see if it unblocks? The gas rings on the hob work fine.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Have you checked that you haven't isolated the oven on the gas taps?

gas taps.jpg

I wouldn't turn the gas on and leave it!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have you tried to light it using a lighter or similar.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Have you checked that you haven't isolated the oven on the gas taps?

View attachment 214499

I wouldn't turn the gas on and leave it!

Hi Janine .. no it hasn't been isolated ... I checked that in case the autogas people had done it when fitting filler unit. I should have checked the bloomin oven when they did it in case there is a fault in the fitting I guess. Just didn't think. :(

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Could be the thermocouple.

Is the ignition working? We had an issue a couple of years ago. To light the oven you had to ignite the gas and hold the knob in for a few seconds = trouble was that as soon as the knob was released the gas went out. It was a problem with the thermocouple.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Joy it shouldnt be possible to leave the gas on at the oven without holding in the knob in inthe ignition position...
Keep doing that for a few minutes with the ignitor running or an ignition source present.. it sounds like air in the pipework to the oven...
Hopefully it will eventually light..
If it doesnt do that within a few minutes of trying you will need to turn off and get someone to have a look.. if the hob is working dont think it can be a big problem..
Andy.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Is it the Smev one with the oven burner at the bottom rear of the oven and the grill burner
in the centre of the oven roof ? Try lighting the grill to see if that fires up and remember to keep the knob pushed in as you light it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Joy

Don't just leave it on and not trying to light as you might end up with an oven full of gas, now thinking about that don't you have to push something in and then turn it to light as it should have a flame failure safety device so that would not happen or help to purge air.

If you have had work done on the gas it could well have air in the line but should not take long to purge through so just keep trying to light it.

And watch your fringe.

Martin

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks all. Yes.. I have to hold it in to keep gas flowing .. or not, as is the case. I will keep trying .. and will google thermocouple just in case... Yes the hobs work fine.

Thank you all again. (y)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Janine .. no it hasn't been isolated ... I checked that in case the autogas people had done it when fitting filler unit. I should have checked the bloomin oven when they did it in case there is a fault in the fitting I guess. Just didn't think. :(

If the autogas people had messed up you'd have no gas getting through at all to anything - they wouldn't have any need to touch the cooker.

Is it an "all in one" cooker in your van, or a completely separate oven and hob on different gas feeds? If it's "all in one" then you can rule out gas feed problems if the hob works. If you're holding the oven knob in you should be able to smell the gas coming through. Can you see the ignition sparking?

A common problem is the burner getting food debris on it which can stop it igniting - a little brass wire brush is ideal to give it a gentle clean - shine a torch in and have a good look.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If the autogas people had messed up you'd have no gas getting through at all to anything - they wouldn't have any need to touch the cooker.

Is it an "all in one" cooker in your van, or a completely separate oven and hob on different gas feeds? If it's "all in one" then you can rule out gas feed problems if the hob works. If you're holding the oven knob in you should be able to smell the gas coming through. Can you see the ignition sparking?

A common problem is the burner getting food debris on it which can stop it igniting - a little brass wire brush is ideal to give it a gentle clean - shine a torch in and have a good look.

Separate oven ... couldn't smell gas.

I will try again later today and see what happens. TY.

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
The principal of a thermo couple is, two dissimilar metals, when joined together then heated, produce an electric current.
The current can then energise a winding around a soft iron core which produces a magnet effect so when the FFD button is depressed a metal disk attaches to the magnet which allows the pilot gas or the maintenance rate of the burner to stay on, the tip of the TC must be in a flame, here endith the lesson, ( what a load of tosh, it's has light rain here In Benidorm, i'am just passing the time away), it seems like the last bit of pipe needs purging
Best of luck, Alan

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Crash sensor activated maybe?

Simply reset the little green centre spot on the sensor - normally located close to your gas cylinders (push in with a key or small screwdriver)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Being a blonde !!!!!