Help! Gas locker door won't open (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Our gas locker has two push button catches: the top one has the lock integrated into it, the bottom is just to release the catch.
lf77b.jpg

The top one has always been a bit temperamental, but it seems to have totally given up the ghost now and we can't get the door open. When the lock is locked then you can't push the button in. When its unlocked normally you push the button in and it releases the catch. It seems that the catch isn't releasing when we push the button in now. Also, the button sometimes stays pushed in instead of springing back out.
I've found instructions on how to replace the lock & catch mechanism, but that assumes you can get the door open in the first place :(
Any ideas how we can get this open? Preferably without breaking the door!

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
You could try a load of WD 40 on both catches to see if they will release.
At the bottom of the inside of the locker there will be a vent to allow any (heavier than air) gas to escape. This may be in the form of one or more circular holes (mine are 8cm dia) with mesh on them. if you could remove the mesh this may allow you access to the inside to release the catch.

IMG_20170618_111112.jpg

On ours there is a metal protection plate under the hole which is attached by 4 screws. Take this off and it reveals the ventilation mesh, again attached with 4 screws

Sods Laws states of course that your gas bottle(s) will be positioned over the holes!!

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
You could try a load of WD 40 on both catches to see if they will release.
At the bottom of the inside of the locker there will be a vent to allow any (heavier than air) gas to escape. This may be in the form of one or more circular holes (mine are 8cm dia) with mesh on them. if you could remove the mesh this may allow you access to the inside to release the catch.

View attachment 169293

On ours there is a metal protection plate under the hole which is attached by 4 screws. Take this off and it reveals the ventilation mesh, again attached with 4 screws

Sods Laws states of course that your gas bottle(s) will be positioned over the holes!!
It is possible to force the door open, but you will break the small retainer for the catch, another should be supplied with a new lock

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Try putting pressure on the door, as if you are forcing the door closed, in the area of the catch as you try to unlock it.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all - will try some of those and report back.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
As @Johnnyb says, I used to have a caravan locker door do that on me and by pressing the door in and operating the catch it used to open.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Sadly its still stuck firmly shut :(

We've tried pushing the button in as far as it'll go - it just stays in there and doesn't pop out again, but no sign of it releasing the catch.

Pressing on the frame/door whilst trying to open also doesn't help.

Going in through the gas drop out won't work either because they're long and thin (no way to get an arm in), besides the latch is right at the top of the door so its too far to reach anyway.

Have tried WD40 on the lock (though the lock its self is not stuck) but there's no way to access the catch itself to spray them too.

The only thing I can think of is to take the lock barrel out and poke around in there with a screwdriver in the hopes that I can release it that way.
We're supposed to be going away in a couple of weeks for a weekend....luckily there's nothing critical in there (well apart from the ramps - let's hope we find a level pitch!).

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This occasionally happens on a couple of my locker doors - caused by something sticky contaminating the catch, the lock itself being fine. I've usually managed by giving the button a hefty shove but if it's stuck, it's stuck. Can't see any way of releasing it without some form of damage unfortunately, but if you do succeed clean up the catch surfaces thoroughly with some form of sticky stuff remover. Don't think removing the barrel will help.

Sorry, I'm not much help.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Probably no help whatsoever but it does look as if someone's had a go at something before on your photo, can you give it a bang with a hammer or screwdriver or something , might release something, or try turning the whole lock , something is going to have to give better the lock than damage to the door.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Probably no help whatsoever but it does look as if someone's had a go at something before on your photo
The lock has always been like that - possibly rough handling by a previous user (its an ex-rental vehicle).

The button pushes in fine and you can hear a click but it just doesn't release the catch. Also, it doesn't always pop back out again afterwards. So it sounds to me like the button isn't disengaging the catch properly and/or that one or more of the internal springs has bust. The internal workings are plastic so possibly they have twisted/worn away. If it can just get it open then I can remove the whole assembly and have a look

Can you not get at the hinge pins and knock them out ?
That's a good suggestion but sadly they aren't accessible - they're sunk into the frame of the door so there's no exposed ends.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I'm just wondering, with the hot weather we are having, is it possible that the seal has stuck to the door? I have needed to apply a little more effort to open our hab door a couple of times lately.

J

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I'm just wondering, with the hot weather we are having, is it possible that the seal has stuck to the door? I have needed to apply a little more effort to open our hab door a couple of times lately.

J
No, its been stuck since we were away a couple of weeks ago when the weather was slightly warm - certainly not hot. We couldn't get it open when we were packing away on the Sunday morning to come home, I wasn't too worried as when we've had problems before we've always managed to get it open a while later. This time is different though - the lock button isn't popping back out properly so I think there's something gone wrong inside.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just wondering if the actual catch is one that twists or a yale type thing.

Could you get an old credit card or similar in between the catch and the frame and either push the bar out of the way - or spring the catch?

Otherwise it might be a screwdriver and hammer on the lock to break it which might not be too clever if something goes wrong.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The times we see on here vans being broken into and then something like this happens and we can't get in the things ourselves:((n)

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Just wondering if the actual catch is one that twists or a yale type thing.
You unlock it with the key, then you push the button in (either with key still in or the key out). From what I can tell, pushing the button is activates a couple of plastic levers inside that in turn release the latch. I actually have a pdf of instructions of how to replace it which shows the inner workings - I'd post them here but I haven't yet worked out how to upload a pdf.

Could you get an old credit card or similar in between the catch and the frame and either push the bar out of the way - or spring the catch?
Yep that's the next thing I'm going to try....just need to find a suitably-sized bit of plastic. Its a shame our old neighbour has moved - he was a locksmith and had sheets of mica to do exactly this. Its not going to be easy to get past the rubber seal to actually locate the catch, but its my last hope :unsure:

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I watched a locksmith in France get into a van. The couple had locked themselves out. He levered the window a bit and then inserted an inflatable bladder. When it inflated there was enough of a gap to knock the lock open. He managed it with no damage done. Just a suggestion.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am just in Hampshire @DM23 wherabouts in Hants are you?

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
ITS OPEN!!!!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
I've never been so happy to see the inside of my gas locker LOL

Was starting to lose hope - we had a go with a couple of old store cards last night but didn't get anywhere. With the lock barrel out you could see inside that everything was wonky - which confirmed my belief that all the little plastic bits had come out of alignment.

Decided to give it another go today...wondered if I could get a couple of long zip ties around the back of the catch, but whilst fiddling with them I noticed that the door was opening a bit further than before and I could now see the pesky catch (though I still couldn't get anything in there to release it). A frustrated yank later and one of the screws holding the lock mechanism back plate came fully out allowing the it all to fall apart and finally open. No damage to the door, just a new lock & catch needed :D2

I am just in Hampshire @DM23 wherabouts in Hants are you?
We're just off the M3 in Fleet.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Great when you get there ain't it? Well done, I was thinking you might be close enough for me to pop round but I can see I'm not needed now.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Oh yes indeed.....and thanks for offer (y)
Just need to source the spare part now!

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Update...no spare part needed :) All the bits looked to be in good condition (apart from the backing plate which is a bit bent on one side - but that's just cosmetic). Looks like it all just became mis-aligned inside - have put it back together again (with a couple of mods to stop things shifting too much) and it works perfectly.

Also took the bottom latch apart to check it as the sticky-out bit didn't stick out as much as the newly-put-together top one. When I loosened the screws and peeped inside it looked like some of the springs on that one were about to pop out...not sure if that's coz I'd loosened the screws or whether that one was about to break too. Didn't want a repeat of this saga tho - think I'll take them apart and check them periodically now....just to be on the safe side!

Total cost = £0 (y) (if only all fixes were so cheap LOL)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back