LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the fan kit is a bit ott expensive when you see its just a 12v computer fan and a thermal switch

not done it on this van yet but on others I have fitted a computer fan to the top vent pulling hot air out and wired to a switch by the fridge. the fridge only needs help in hot weather, so not often in this country. my method and parts costs under £10.

a quick fix that helps if you dont have a fan is unclip the fridge vents when its really hot to increase airflow. just remember to put them back in properly before leaving site to keep road dirt out

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
the fan kit is a bit ott expensive when you see its just a 12v computer fan and a thermal switch

not done it on this van yet but on others I have fitted a computer fan to the top vent pulling hot air out and wired to a switch by the fridge. the fridge only needs help in hot weather, so not often in this country. my method and parts costs under £10.

a quick fix that helps if you dont have a fan is unclip the fridge vents when its really hot to increase airflow. just remember to put them back in properly before leaving site to keep road dirt out
gowing to try that once i put it back in tomorow
i have sum computer fans

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have just bought a new fan £6.99 from Maplin and thats for a 120mm one. The previous one was a lot smaller and didn't work too well.

Had an interesting problem while in France a couple of weeks ago. It was very hot and SWMBO though she would turn the fridge up (Dometic auto fridge, the tall one with the separate freezer).

She did this and the fridge started getting really warm rather than colder. I turned it back to the 5 o'clock position and it cooled down again (2-5C in the fridge and -15C in the freezer). It seems that with this type of fridge, putting more energy in when the temperature is high can be counterproductive because of the extra heat round the back. A fan is a good idea as it shifts the excess heat away from the heat exchanger on the back. I prefer a manual switch as you only need it when its really hot.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011

Any chance of a photo of your modifications. Colin has been talking about fitting a fan to our fridge and due to lack of time would welcome a fairly quick option. We had to remove the vents the other weekend to help the temperature, although we ended up putting it on the gas by the end of the day as it seemed to cope better. The following day there was more of a breeze and it worked fine on hook up. Just goes to prove that a fan will help.
Cheers
Sandra

Sorry have just re-read your post and realise you haven't done the mod on your current van.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Sandra, although not done the mod yet on this van, its not at all complicated

take top vent out
cabletie a 90mm computer fan in place behind fridge
ensure its set to blow out of vent (normally has an arrow on the side of fan)
cut off plug if fitted connect some 2 core cable to wires
route the cable via a switch
connect to 12v supply to fridge permanent live, or a nearby 12v source
refit vent and test

simples really

cheap fans can be found on ebay from about £2

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Sandra, although not done the mod yet on this van, its not at all complicated

take top vent out
cabletie a 90mm computer fan in place behind fridge
ensure its set to blow out of vent (normally has an arrow on the side of fan)
cut off plug if fitted connect some 2 core cable to wires
route the cable via a switch
connect to 12v supply to fridge permanent live, or a nearby 12v source
refit vent and test

simples really

cheap fans can be found on ebay from about £2

Just to check I am understanding this correctly. The fan is fitted to draw the air through rather than blow it at the fridge? Did you fit a separate switch so it can be isolated when not needed? Was one fan enough?
Many thanks for your help. I will try and find the parts tomorrow ready for Colin to fit on Saturday, he's been working away all week and will be most of next so has very little time for maintenance on the van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
by setting the fan to blow out of the top vent in turn it sucks air in the bottom vent. for most cases one fan will do or if you really want to, fit 2 but they do shift quite a bit of air

an isolator switch is essential or the fan would run constantly. just switch on when needed in hot weather

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Right here is my shopping list for today-
90 mm computor fan
2 core cable (might have this already)
Isolator switch

Milk
Eggs
Dog food.

Anything else?

Thanks for your help,:thumb: will let you know how we get on.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Right here is my shopping list for today-
90 mm computor fan
2 core cable (might have this already)
Isolator switch

Milk
Eggs
Dog food.

Anything else?

Thanks for your help,:thumb: will let you know how we get on.

Bog roll?
Better still beer. can never have too much:ROFLMAO: and you need to test the beer locker modifications are working properly:thumb:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have 2 fans in our top grill. I have a few spare fans with me at the Knutsford show. Were on stand 84

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Jus to update. Colin fitted two computor fans to draw air through the back of the fridge and it worked a treat. We only had to have the fans on a couple of times to give it a boost but we have them now for future hot weather.
Thanks for the tip TheBig1 :thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
and mine!!oh and has anybody adapted there on board water tank to use an ordinary aqua roll as its a pain to have to keep getting a hose to fill up not to bad if your near a fill up point,so I don't know if there was a way of doing a conversion or is there a easy way ?

Use a watering can, one fill in the morning and one in the evening is usually more than enough.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back