HELP...... Fridge not working (1 Viewer)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Our frdge has just lost all power.

Came back from a trip to the shops and there is no power to the fridge. No lights no nothing

Checked all hab fuses........all ok

Full shopping in fridge including beer

Any body any ideas.......... @Techno your an expert on fridges

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Try it on gas - see if it is OK - then start engine and try it on 12 volts - see if it is OK that way you narrow it down to where the problem exists.
If it works OK on Gas & 12v then find the 230v fuse supplying the fridge - it will be separate from the 12v hab fuses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Suppose a silly question but have you tried gas? Are you on EHU? If so, check to see if tripped out. Did that in Germany when put kettle on.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If no internal light in fridge working then you have lost the 12 volt supply to the control circuit of the fridge. ( Lets hope bulb not gone or door switch faulty....)
Can you remove vent at rear of fridge and use multimeter to check if you have volts there.
Remrmber it is not the heavy 12 volt wires for chilling fridge when driving but the thinner ones for the control circuit of fridge. If no 12 volt there your problem is external to fridge, ie the supply wires. If you cannot find the fault run some new wires from 12 volt supply, fused at 3 amps or less to bypass your fault. If you do have 12 volt at rear of fridge fault is n the fridge. Most fridges ( all?) Need the 12 volt for the control to work on mains, gas or 12 volt.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
For goodness sakes people, Bobby said there is NO POWER TO THE FRIDGE, NO LIGHTS OR ANYTHING! Being level or not won't affect power to the fridge will it? I understand you're all just trying to help but giving misleading advice is counter productive.

Bobby, if there is no 12v power to the fridge then something has failed somewhere in the supply line, fuse is the obvious so I'd suggest you check them again with a tester, only last Thursday I had a van in with an electrical fault, customer had "checked all fuses" but the fault was an open circuit fuse, it looked ok but when tested with a Digital Multimeter had no continuity. If the supply fuse really is ok then something somewhere has broken the circuit, could be the main power switch on the fridge or it could be an earth wire has failed due to corrosion or rodent activity. It would also be helpful to give some details of your motorhome and fridge, make model and year can go a long way to speeding up a diagnosis.

D.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Very good replies. However if he had a multimeter or access to one or knew someone that had one and could read it, isn't it possible he'd have tried that before posting on here?
I suppose for a lot of owners a multimeter is a bit of must have kit. I have a gadget for putting against a wall to see if there are any studs or electrical wires there. Proudly bought it a decade or so ago and it's still sat in its box it came in because I honestly don't feel competent enough to start knocking my house about. I'd rather pay someone who has the skill and knowledge to do it. In Bobby's case, I'd be in the dark (sorry about the pun) because I don't have a multimeter, volt meter or ampere analyser and if I did, I wouldn't know what to make of it. I do my job because I know what I can do and get paid to do it professionally so I get a professional in to do the things I can't.
I hope you get it sorted Bobby or B & Q are still open.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
For goodness sakes people, Bobby said there is NO POWER TO THE FRIDGE, NO LIGHTS OR ANYTHING! Being level or not won't affect power to the fridge will it? I understand you're all just trying to help but giving misleading advice is counter productive.

Bobby, if there is no 12v power to the fridge then something has failed somewhere in the supply line, fuse is the obvious so I'd suggest you check them again with a tester, only last Thursday I had a van in with an electrical fault, customer had "checked all fuses" but the fault was an open circuit fuse, it looked ok but when tested with a Digital Multimeter had no continuity. If the supply fuse really is ok then something somewhere has broken the circuit, could be the main power switch on the fridge or it could be an earth wire has failed due to corrosion or rodent activity. It would also be helpful to give some details of your motorhome and fridge, make model and year can go a long way to speeding up a diagnosis.

D.
Thanks for your reply Dave, i have a Dometic RM 8401 I have changed the fuse which was ok just as a makesure, i have taken the vents off the back and made sure the multi plugs were fully engaged.
I don't have access to multi meter as i am on a ths, very frustrating.

It is in a Swift escape on a 63 plate

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for your reply Dave, i have a Dometic RM 8401 I have changed the fuse which was ok just as a makesure, i have taken the vents off the back and made sure the multi plugs were fully engaged.
I don't have access to multi meter as i am on a ths, very frustrating.

It is in a Swift escape on a 63 plate
@Bobby22 . If you did have a multimeter, would you know what to do with it. Hey!!!! Maybe it's just me who can't read one but obviously I'm not the only one not to have one. I feel for you Bobby. You never said whether you tried it on gas.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
@Bobby22 . If you did have a multimeter, would you know what to do with it. Hey!!!! Maybe it's just me who can't read one but obviously I'm not the only one not to have one. I feel for you Bobby. You never said whether you tried it on gas.

If there's no 12volt power to the fridge then unless its a very old unit he won't be able to try it on gas will he? Hence my previous reply!

D.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Thanks for your reply, i do have a multi meter but it is in the garage at home. I do know how to use it but murphys law and all that.
I can't, as Dave says, try it on anything as it won't power up to change over.
Hoping it is something silly, and not totally goosed.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007

D.
Sorry :(

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for your reply, i do have a multi meter but it is in the garage at home. I do know how to use it but murphys law and all that.
I can't, as Dave says, try it on anything as it won't power up to change over.
Hoping it is something silly, and not totally goosed.
Ah must be just me then. I should get a multimeter to sit next to the gadget for seeing if there is electric cables or studs in wall. They say they're workhorse in a pair on Antiques Roadshow.
Over my lifetime, I've got dozens of useless things or things I thought are must have that I'm just not impressed with. Loads on sites rave about the Double Skillet. Well SWMBO liked the look of it best part of 10 years ago but decided it wasn't for using and it's still in the original box. Brand new. Hee hee. I'm not the only one who bought something that I ended up not using. Anyone else out there done that?

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Ah must be just me then. I should get a multimeter to sit next to the gadget for seeing if there is electric cables or studs in wall. They say they're workhorse in a pair on Antiques Roadshow.
Over my lifetime, I've got dozens of useless things or things I thought are must have that I'm just not impressed with. Loads on sites rave about the Double Skillet. Well SWMBO liked the look of it best part of 10 years ago but decided it wasn't for using and it's still in the original box. Brand new. Hee hee. I'm not the only one who bought something that I ended up not using. Anyone else out there done that?
EX51SSS, If you would like to learn how to use a multi-meter there are plenty of tutorials on you-tube.
You can buy one for around £10 from Toolstation. Once you learn how to use it you will wonder how you managed all these years without one. :LOL:(y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
EX51SSS, If you would like to learn how to use a multi-meter there are plenty of tutorials on you-tube.
You can buy one for around £10 from Toolstation. Once you learn how to use it you will wonder how you managed all these years without one. :LOL:(y)
Well I saw a tutorial about the other gadget and still in box. Watched all about the Double Skillet and so is that.
Other than testing the fridge and say sticking into holes to see if you might get a shock had you put a screwdriver in it, what would I use it for?
I'm seriously not DIY good. Over the years I've learnt not to touch things because where a job may be small, I can make it worse.
Here's a typical example, I had a loose floorboard in my bathroom (in other house) and I pulled the carpet back and noticed that exactly where you'd put your first step, it was lower. OK!!! I lifted it and noticed that there was 2 nails with chucks of wood. Well these chunks had broken off over the years. Bear in mind, I don't know how this should look anyway. Right, I can do this, so I got a piece of wood and hammered into place. Yes that worked to a degree but how long will that last? Put a stabilising piece underneath. Cut wood, measure twice, cut once! Brilliant. Tapped it under the new pieces of wood. Put floorboard down, perfect!!!!
Dead chuffed! Went downstairs for a cuppa to celebrate. OMG! Two little holes in the ceiling with small bits of wood sticking through.
Replaster ceiling required.
Another?
Having new carpet in spare room. Took carpet up and underlay. Brushed room clean. Noticed a gap around. That's why room was always chilly. Expanding foam! Went all round and worked superbly. Janet trimmed off excess next morning. Carpet fitted and room warmer. Fitted and forgot.
For about 5 years.
Janet in kitchen and noticed a leak from ceiling. We had a false ceiling because cheaper than replastering the two holes.
Phoned insurance company. Sent plumber within the hour. He replaced a broken joint. He said, looks like someone used expanding foam. It grows for years apparently. Oh dear said Janet. He said, it happens. As luck would have it, insurance sent builders couple of days later and they assessed and said, complete new ceiling AND new replacement false ceiling because colour wouldn't match. OK, a result but I keep away from trying to save a couple of quid these days. Get it done by someone who knows what they are found.
BTW. I've got a Swan neck swivel table to go in the moho. Got the fittings (not the top yet) and extra upright holding one. Any competent person want a job to fix it in PLEASE? I do pay.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Dave. Is right. Modern fridges (the van is on a 63 plate so 2013 then?) will not work in any mode without a 12v regulated supply. It is not unknown for a power surge to "zap" the regulator either!. A small 12V Bulb and a short length of wire bridged across the supply wires will tell if the unit is getting a supply?. Which is how we did it before small cheap Multimeter's showed up!, (My old "AVO" was the size of a couple of bricks and just as heavy!).

Try Here For Wiring diagrams :- http://td.dometicgroup.com/_pdf/2890318_e_10s_web.pdf (aprox Page 53 of 208 for English!

Pete

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ex51sss, if you're such a non DIYer why did you feel the need to offer advice in the first place?

D.
Because I was trying to be helpful. I can see a problem and I can usually work out a solution but I don't have the skill or competency to follow it through. It was obviously not good advice but I don't think it's worth being hassled about. OK, I admit I don't know but at least I tried to help rather than just ignoring someone in obvious distress.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ex51sss, if you're such a non DIYer why did you feel the need to offer advice in the first place?

D.
Ah right. Would you prefer guys and girls like me not to proffer advice. At least I didn't make fun of bobby because he'd got no power or give an absolute inane response.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Ah right. Would you prefer guys and girls like me not to proffer advice. At least I didn't make fun of bobby because he'd got no power or give an absolute inane response.

Exactly what is your problem? You yourself said you are not DIY savvy, the "advice" you gave was wrong, so I just wonder what made you think you could give any advice in the first place. I work on motorhomes every day and see lots of fridges with problems so I do have a fair idea of what might be wrong usually. I'm not very money savvy so I don't offer financial advice. Who made fun of Bobby or gave an inane response? I must have missed that post.

D.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Exactly what is your problem? You yourself said you are not DIY savvy, the "advice" you gave was wrong, so I just wonder what made you think you could give any advice in the first place. I work on motorhomes every day and see lots of fridges with problems so I do have a fair idea of what might be wrong usually. I'm not very money savvy so I don't offer financial advice. Who made fun of Bobby or gave an inane response? I must have missed that post.

D.
I don't have a problem. I asked if he'd tried his fridge on gas. I honestly didn't know you had to have a 12v supply. I didn't suggest putting it on level ground. There are dozens of posts and threads where members give dubious advice or deliberately wrong sometimes in a funny way sometimes not. So, because you are THE man, I won't answer any other posts that need help whether the advice is correct or not. I bow down to your superior knowledge and intellect but please let others know thst their advice is as unwelcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Ok, I'm not DIY savvy or competent but don't align that to stupidity. My response may have been stupid in your opinion but at least it ruled that out and I found something out so not so stupid after all. I appreciate you are a motorhome mechanic/technician/consultant and sell round helpful good guy but please don't get into the situation of lambasting people who are just trying to help. It didn't cause harm and you did come along on your charger to rescue the situation.
Would you prefer me to send you the stupid and sometimes dangerous responses on here in case you miss them?
I thought this was a FUN site. I realise that members don't correct others on their grammar or punctuation or spelling, well I think the same should go for the professionals amongst us. Why not have a special page where you and other professional motorhome fixers can reply in confidence to people in distress. I'd keep out of there until I had a problem. I'd also be willing to pay for advice. I know virtually nothing about the workings of a motorhome but I have professional people I trust and pay to keep my motorhome in tip top condition.
I'm an expert in my field and a couple of others but I don't like getting my hand dirty by messing about under bonnets and tight places. My guy has a substantial garage for service, repairs, and MOT. I have had a top quality habitation check every year and do everything expected. If you go on that system where you are writing to people who give out advice but they haven't got the correct qualifications, take time off, I can find thousands. If any of this offended you, I sincerely apologise. I will apologise sincerely to Bobby in case he thought my reply was valid and I'll desist on trying to be a good samaritan.
I suppose my problem is not being amateur, possibly knowing the answer but get lambasted for having the audacity to suggest but actually I've been right on a few occasions. Might be a fluke but I have been thanked on this and other occasions.
Anyway, I need my table putting in. Are you the MAN who CAN?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Mine works on gas without 12v :whistle:.
But then, it's old and has a manual changeover and you have to manually light the gas...
Sometimes new fangled automation isn't an improvement.
Got gas central heating? Won't work in a power cut. If you have a gas fire, you can be warm.
[sorry must be infected with the RetroFestival virus :rolleyes:]
Hope the fridge is soon sorted.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I don't have a problem. I asked if he'd tried his fridge on gas. I honestly didn't know you had to have a 12v supply. I didn't suggest putting it on level ground. There are dozens of posts and threads where members give dubious advice or deliberately wrong sometimes in a funny way sometimes not. So, because you are THE man, I won't answer any other posts that need help whether the advice is correct or not. I bow down to your superior knowledge and intellect but please let others know thst their advice is as unwelcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Ok, I'm not DIY savvy or competent but don't align that to stupidity. My response may have been stupid in your opinion but at least it ruled that out and I found something out so not so stupid after all. I appreciate you are a motorhome mechanic/technician/consultant and sell round helpful good guy but please don't get into the situation of lambasting people who are just trying to help. It didn't cause harm and you did come along on your charger to rescue the situation.
Would you prefer me to send you the stupid and sometimes dangerous responses on here in case you miss them?
I thought this was a FUN site. I realise that members don't correct others on their grammar or punctuation or spelling, well I think the same should go for the professionals amongst us. Why not have a special page where you and other professional motorhome fixers can reply in confidence to people in distress. I'd keep out of there until I had a problem. I'd also be willing to pay for advice. I know virtually nothing about the workings of a motorhome but I have professional people I trust and pay to keep my motorhome in tip top condition.
I'm an expert in my field and a couple of others but I don't like getting my hand dirty by messing about under bonnets and tight places. My guy has a substantial garage for service, repairs, and MOT. I have had a top quality habitation check every year and do everything expected. If you go on that system where you are writing to people who give out advice but they haven't got the correct qualifications, take time off, I can find thousands. If any of this offended you, I sincerely apologise. I will apologise sincerely to Bobby in case he thought my reply was valid and I'll desist on trying to be a good samaritan.
I suppose my problem is not being amateur, possibly knowing the answer but get lambasted for having the audacity to suggest but actually I've been right on a few occasions. Might be a fluke but I have been thanked on this and other occasions.
Anyway, I need my table putting in. Are you the MAN who CAN?
EX51SSS, I appreciated your input with my fridge problem. Sometimes even to bump it up to the top of a forum.
Sometimes i , with best intentions, offer my opinion on a way to fix things.
If it helps great if its wrong someone will soon let you know.

For everybodys info my fridge is now working.

The fridge just lit up and started working when my wife closed the door and has worked fine since.

I don't know what caused it or why it just started again..........but i'm happy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back