LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We could do with a bit of help camping in Florence for the Italian Job.

Michelangelo. Camping International, two sites.

Are these our only options ? Has anyone first hand experience of any of these ?

Thanks,

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Camping Michelangelo was great when we stayed there!
It's a lovely walk down the winding footpath to the Arno and then across a bridge to the centre.
You can get the bus back which stops right outside the site.
Lots of folk from all round the world, and a really friendly atmosphere.
It was quiet too :Smile:
There were complaints about the toilets, but I didn't use them! They may have improved them by now though.
The pitches are rather small, so if your set-up is on the large side, you might find them tight.

The following year we stayed at Camping International at Certosa - a bit further away, but plenty of buses into the city, plus two swimming pools. All facilities were good, but it came at a price!
Hope this helps :Smile:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Hi Brian

Florence - lucky chap, my favourite city, though the senior partner prefers Venice. Lovely place. First time we went, we had the room with the better view- the one above the one where E M Forster wrote his novel, overlooking the Arno. ( Forster was as bent as a nine-bob note - a close friend of mine was at Kings, and everyone had to avoid his clutches, even in his advanced years).

My favourite Flrence line was in one of the Palaces, where the guide book had the memorable phrase "Passing through Room XVI, we reach Room XVII, where..." and the room so causally dismissed had several paintings that would have had a prime place in our National Gallery. Don't forget the bridge of the Arno, where troops in 1945 raon through the attic ontop of the bridge to get behind the German defenders... and so on and so on - the Campanile, the Cathedral itself, the markets, the food*, oh, have you a spare seat??? We'll be there one day.

Cheers!!

PS, not speaking much Italian, I used a mix of Latin and French. First night, the food in a restaurant was cold. I tried to say I was hungry , and it was cold. "Ma famme, e frigido". Back came the reply, in sort of English, that my matrimonial problems were my affair!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We stayed at Michelangelo, wonderful to look over Florence and walk into town. It's a while ago but I do remember that our pitch was nothing like level,
have a great time
violet

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
PS, not speaking much Italian, I used a mix of Latin and French. First night, the food in a restaurant was cold. I tried to say I was hungry , and it was cold. "Ma famme, e frigido". Back came the reply, in sort of English, that my matrimonial problems were my affair!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....just in case you still don't know what you said, here it is: My wife is frigid:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....just in case you still don't know what you said, here it is: My wife is frigid:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Just love this one, thanks Frankie:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lesley

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Brian. Camping Michaelangelo has got to be the best campsite. I agree with allie sommerville. The view overlooking Florence is simply breath-taking. And it's just so incredibly conveniently situated - a short walk down the hill or buses that run from outside the campsite. Fun restaurant/bar as well, also with magnificent views. We had no problem with the toilets. They were the squat-type but clean. Finding a level pitch can be a challenge but then we were there in July so it was packed...shouldn't be as much of a problem in May.

allie sommerville

Free Member
Dec 30, 2009
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Hi Brian. Camping Michaelangelo has got to be the best campsite. I agree with allie sommerville. The view overlooking Florence is simply breath-taking. And it's just so incredibly conveniently situated - a short walk down the hill or buses that run from outside the campsite. Fun restaurant/bar as well, also with magnificent views. We had no problem with the toilets. They were the squat-type but clean. Finding a level pitch can be a challenge but then we were there in July so it was packed...shouldn't be as much of a problem in May.

A further reason to stay on the Michelangelo:
We were there for the San Giovanni celebrations in June, and they let off the fireworks just along the road on the Michelangelo Piazzale.
Spectacular only just about covers it - fireworks with the backdrop of Florence, overlooked by a copy of Michelangelo's David - what more could you want? ::bigsmile:
Also there is the jewel-like San Miniato del Monte (?) chapel just a little way from the site and across the road - beautiful.
I would say this was the most convenient site for a city centre in all the places we travelled in Europe, and was really quiet - a recommendation in itself!

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll bring this thread up when we are contemplating the next site in May.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back