Help, eberspacher not working on 12 volt (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I am testing out my new to me Murvi Morello. The heating works fine when hooked up, but when I switch it on, on batteries it won't kick in. And then it switches off the control panel. After 2 attempts I get a message to charge batteries. I don't think they are flat though.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
They do need some power,just an idea..Have you tried to start it working with the engine running,you will have a bit more power to draw from.
JUST an idea.. Also,they do need servicing/using regularly,to keep them on song,so perhaps.
Tea Bag

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It does sound like your batteries are low...
The only way is to check the voltage when the heater is going through its start up... ie under load with no charging source...
My hydronic heater has a cut off at 10.2V and will eventually lock out after so many attempts... Can't remember how many it is
Ta andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Agree with teabag. Try starting it with the engine running as they do draw a lot of power on startup. Also check wire contacts are clean and good. If it starts OK on hookup then it's either flat batteries or voltage loss.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Is there no meter giving the leisure battery voltage?

Hi DBK, that was the odd thing. The meter shows the leisure battery voltage at about 11.2, and then it drops to 10.2 and nothing works for a bit but then the battery voltage improves, and lights work again.

Update - I tried it again, after running it on hook up for ages, and it fired up first time on 12 volt. so i think it may have been that it hasnt been used for a while, or the batteries werent fully charged.

Thanks for the tip about using the engine for more power on start up Teabag and Snowbird. I will try that next time I have an issue.

I only have one leisure battery, and I dont know how old it is, or whether it needs to be replaced. Chester will be the test next weekend.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Oh, and I need a new kitchen tap, this one came off in my hand! Clearly, I am stronger than I thought! Still, one advantage of a compact and bijou van, it is no effort to fill up the kettle from the bathroom one, and transfer to the bigger kitchen sink for washing up.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your voltages are way too low. It shouldn't really drop below about 12.2 and ideally be above 12.5

If it's been down to 10 or so it suggests the batteries might be goosed.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Yep, the batteries are the problem. 12.8 when charged, and 12.4 when getting flat. With the engine running, or on hookup, you will have more like13.2v. Ebers and webastos shut down with less than 11v.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My leisure voltage is 12.8 volts. The heater on yours has a sensor to stop the heating element glowing but not getting hot enough to fire the fuel and causing an internal fire. Run the engine and see what happens then.. We had a fleet of lorries with these and if the thermostat was set too low they heater was off on off on and in the morning the batteries would not start the lorry. The element use a lot of current like the glowpugs on an older diesel did, basically a short circuit in a tube. If it did fire up with a weak glowplug there would be acrid white smoke pouring out and muck up the whole heater.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds like you need replacement leisure battery to be honest !!
If the van came from a dealer get them to replace it post haste !!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We had a fleet of lorries with these and if the thermostat was set too low they heater was off on off on and in the morning the batteries would not start the lorry.
I think I read somewhere that the latest models have changed the system specifically to avoid this issue. Instead of shutting down completely when the cab is up to temperature, they go into a sort of idle mode, rather like a gas pilot light. So overall they use a bit more diesel but a lot less battery power.

Slightly ironic really, as modern gas heaters have gone in the opposite direction, using battery powered igniters rather than pilot lights. But then propane is much easier to light than diesel!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hi @meakwooders , did you get your heater and/or battery problems sorted?

If the battery(s) were low, it could just be that they need replacing, or there might be a problem with the charging system, in which case you will soon have the same problems all over again even with new batteries. :(

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Our Eberspacher pulls about 9 amps to start it for a few seconds but only uses about 0.5 amp when running slowly so it works best if you can find the sweet spot for it to stay on. The heavy current draw at start up will show up any weaknesses in battery or wiring.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Update.

Well I travelled up to Huddersfield to Wellhouse Leisure. They diagnosed a stuck relay, which prevented one battery charging properly. It seemed to solve the problem, although I did explain what had happened before, the control panel shutting it all down etc.

So I drove back to Taunton for work and then down to Cornwall for the excellent Murvi meet!

On the way back, another issue arose. I found that the van lost power when accelerating up hill. A bit hairy trying to join the A30, and also when overtaking a lorry.

Wellhouse authorised me taking it to a Fiat dealer for diagnostics. The only one with availability within a week was in Weston super Mare! So, a mobile mechanic came out, plugged in the computer,, and reported no codes.

His assessment is that the EGR valve needs cleaning or replacing, also that I need 4 glow plugs, as it never starts first time. Also the radiator was empty!

While waiting for the mechanic, outside the B and B, I was chilly so I put the heating on! Five minutes later it shut itself off, saying "charge the batteries". So that issue is not quite as fixed as we thought.

Wellhouse want to take the van back,so they can investigate the engine fault, and sort out my eberspacher heating ( I wonder if the control panel has a gremlin, or a teenage attitude problem) Millie is 13 years old!

I am very disappointed, as I had planned to move out of the B and B and back into the van next week. I prefer my own space. Still, I am grateful Wellhouse are taking responsibility for the problem.

Oh well, I am sure we will get there eventually.

Thanks for reading. Hope it is interesting for those of you who tried to help.

Karen

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Karen I really think your batteries are goosed. I gave two batteries with 200ah between them and mine will run for 2 days (admittedly webasto not ebers) and still be running when I drive off. I do often start it outside the house before I drive away though so might not be working very hard

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd be most concerned about where the radiator water has gone & has it done anything to the engine ?

Reactions: DBK
Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I have the same problem,fitted 2 new 110 amp batteries , still does it,start engine up,once heaters up and running,turn engine off and will stop and start all day,I think the cable size may need increasing,common fault on Murves so I gather from the last meet , CF parkinson carried out a full service as well around 12 months ago costing £200 , spoken to them about it, and they said they would have it back and try and sort

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not many motorhome converters seem capable of wiring anything up properly.
Diesel heaters cause them the biggest problem.
They seem to hate having to put in thick enough wiring and the correctly rated connectors to supply the large startup currents without resulting voltage drops.
9 out of 10 diesel heater faults raised on Motorhome Fun seem to be down to crap wiring and poor batteries.
Ours runs 100% reliably and has done for years following rewiring of the heater's supply.
Prior to thaT, it was the same old story of low voltage faults when the batteries were nearly fully charged!

christa32

Free Member
Aug 25, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
actively looking
Exp
Ours runs 100% reliably and has done for years following rewiring of the heater's supply.

Hi Jonandshell,

Wondering whether there's anyone you'd recommend to look at wiring issues in a campervan? I'm looking to buy my first campervan and since the electrics are anthat seem to go wrong, I'd love to have someone look at my prospective purchase first... but if as you say many of the converters get it wrong themselves, wondering who I could find who would be any better to do a pre-purchase once-over.

Thanks!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back