Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
:(I've been away for over 2 weeks now and the fridge has been working on a mixture of gas and electric without any problems. The last week purely on gas. Noticed yesterday that it didn't seem as cold so turned it up. Got up this morning and the fridge is no longer cold and everything has defrosted in the freezer.
Any ideas would be gratefully received

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No gas is fine, fridge is lighting ok, everything but the temperature shows its working

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This will probably sound bonkers, but mine sometimes doesn't work the colder I try to set it, might be interesting to turn it to a half way setting and see if it improves (y), although I don't think mine has ever actually defrosted

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you still got your vent covers on Clive? That would make the fridge less efficient at this time of year. We have also found that when the weather is warm the fridge works better if turned down rather than up.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Two suggestions

Remove external winter vent covers if fitted

Is the van level?
Needs to be within 6 degrees if level or the coolant can't circulate

Hope this helps

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I had that problem last summer in France. Spent a couple of hours on an aire, dismantling the burner and cleaning the jet, then all was fine.
(Don't poke anything through the jet - just blow it and brush away any soot.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When the weather is very warm, you'll find there is a sweet spot for your flame . Turning it high on max cooling can often result in it warming up. Turn it down a notch and experiment to find that sweet (coldest) spot on the dial. Sounds crazy but it works.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you want to properly service your fridge its not to difficult to do

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No all the vent covers are off. The sweet spot on mine is 2 lights. Now I'm dressed, didn't want to frighten the locals I've taken the bottom vent off and definitely have a nice blue flame. I've had problems with the terminal block before so I've taken that off and sprayed with switch cleaner. Just a waiting game to see if the burner keeps running and the fridge gets cold again

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When the weather is very warm, you'll find there is a sweet spot for your flame . Turning it high on max cooling can often result in it warming up. Turn it down a notch and experiment to find that sweet (coldest) spot on the dial. Sounds crazy but it works.
Not any more - at least not on a Thetford and probably not on Dometic now. The gas now has a thermostat.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We first noticed the fridge was not great while in Croatia.
The rest of the family went off and I took it apart to see what was what
Lovely blue flame and it all looked spotless.
When we finally got home I ripped it down again and this time removed the burner out and cleaned it all up until it shone.
Also used a proper 'jet pick' and cleaned the tiny hole in the restrictor valve that feeds the burner
When I put it back together I immediately noticed the difference in the sound the burner was making..
Much noisier !
Fridge worked just fine after that.. I now strip and clean the thing at least once a year

I never really noticed the drop in performance until it was quite bad.. It is a slow process I guess and just creeps up on you..

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
and ive just realised he didnt mention testing the gas connection he had disturbed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
why would you put the burner back and then clean the flue way so any carp falls on the freshly cleaned burner

You think folk keep fish up the flue ? No wonder so many people have problems !!!

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
When we finally got home I ripped it down again and this time removed the burner out and cleaned it all up until it shone.
Also used a proper 'jet pick' and cleaned the tiny hole in the restrictor valve that feeds the burner
When I put it back together I immediately noticed the difference in the sound the burner was making..
Much noisier !
Fridge worked just fine after that.. I now strip and clean the thing at least once a year

I never really noticed the drop in performance until it was quite bad.. It is a slow process I guess and just creeps up on you..

What model fridge is it?

Mines a RM7270 and not working on gas (just started another thread).

Any tips?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Makes no odds Pete.. They are basically all the same mate..
I have sorted out identical issues in various fridges from both Dometic and Thetford

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
@Jaws
I've got the fridge out and the burner in my hand. Looking through it should it be completely clear on the centre hole?

I can see a very fine mesh. (Burner jet 43 according to the parts list?)

Thanks in advance

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Cheers guys. All working again (at least it's alight at the moment.

I've ordered another jet to keep as a spare.

Thanks again

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Just an update.

I've fitted the new jet, all fired up. Now got to wait to see if it gets cold (the old jet that I wiggled a pin into worked but wanted to use the correct size so watch this space)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If it fails to cool down sufficiently, I would check your flue, it may have too much soot in there which will need removing.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Only chilling slightly at the moment. Going to leave it over night to see what happens

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Is the flame size meant to visibly alter when you turn the temperature control (like a hob)?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Much noisier !

Ive had exactly the same experience and you can clearly hear the difference between a partially blocked jet and a clean one. the clean one has a slight roar.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
image.jpeg

I was rather surprised by the lack of mention of sweeping in the servicing video. Having just removed a heap of soot with this "pull-through" that no amount of waggling with a screwdriver would have removed, it seems a fairly serious omission.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back