Help - can I have a combo oven (1 Viewer)

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Hi, we are just in the process of taking delivery of a new motorhome in Italy. We were promised that a gas oven could be fitted but it turns out that this may not be possible :mad: due to various space and technical issues.

One alternative might be to fit a microwave/convection combo oven and I would appreciate any advise about whether this is likely to cause any issues with power draw, batteries etc.

I presume that there would be no major issues using this when we are plugged into mains however, what about when we are off-grid? We have 2 x 120 Ah batteries, 2 x 160W solar panels, and of course the alternator if we needed to boost power while we are unplugged. Based on typical specs, such an oven might consume about 1300W in either microwave or convection/grill mode. Can one of you tech experts out there estimate how long our batteries could run this beast, and would drawing such a high current damage or shorten the life of the batteries and if the inverter would be up to the job?

Thanks for your help - we will need to discuss this with the dealer in the couple of days to work out the best way ahead.

Cheers Alan and Ruth

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
It will kill your batteries over time (and not that long either). It's not a route I would take. If you really need an electric oven then a portable generator is the only answer I think

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The start up power of a microwave can be up to double the rated power so to run off an inverter only the smallest ones are practicable. Even an 800 w one will draw 66 amps running and could be up to twice that on start up, you would need at least a 1600w inverter to cope. Normally only using a microwave for up to 10 min, batteries will cope with it but the high current draw will shorten their life.
As for mains depends where you are camping, in Italy hook ups can be as low as 3 amps, in France 5 amp is quite common.
As for using the alternator a good way of wrecking your engine, CAT & DPF.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Goes to show we are all different which is good. Use the oven in our van all the time , can't fault it , takes a bit longer than a house oven but does the job.(y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We use our gas oven in the van too.

I've been without a fullsize oven in the house for quite some time, the Regulo went on the gas stove a while ago. As we have a decent sized Combi microwave as well anyway and there's usually only 2 of us, it suffices. However - if I want to cook anything big - eg a joint or two at Xmas when the family are descending or a huge catering sized lasagne in the turkey tin - or anything temperature critical - it's done on the drive in the moho oven LOL

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV it will fry your batteries in no time and replacing them won't be cheap so for me it would be a no-no.

It might be better to think about what you want to use the oven for and then see if there are alternative ways to do it ... what sort of stuff do you expect to be cooking?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I use our gas oven quite a bit, also handy for keeping things warm whilst other things cook on hob or whatever!
I can't imagine an electric oven in a van would be useful unless you never intend to be without EHU, also to my way of thinking a microwave is not an essential bit of kit either!
We live in our van, we use CLs/CSs a lot and in France we use the Aires, the only time we are on EHU is in the winter and then I only use a slow pot or a Remoska. Recently got a MrD pot-very useful!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We had an oven in our last van but now we dont.
I use one of these on the hob and use it outside and at home. We've cooked all sorts on it

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You may be able to use the microwave bit of the combi oven for quick ready done meals, but the normal heating part will be next to useless. It will flatten your batteries before it has even reached the correct temperature with an inverter.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The straight answer to your question is no.

But, unless the van is a special of some kind, I'd be very surprised if a gas oven couldn't be fitted. Almost all the continental converters offer "British spec" versions which include ovens so it's more likely that the van has already been built and the cost of adapting is "creating a technical problem".

My advice, reject the vehicle BEFORE paying/taking delivery and insist on getting what you ordered. It's quite likely you'll have to wait whilst another vehicle is available to your specs but I anticipate that you will be dissatisfied because of this problem and will likely "move it on" within a short space of time if you don't.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have a full cooker in the motorhome, gets used extensively, especially in the winter, also have a remoska, ditto.
Friends have just changed to a motorhome from a california, no oven and they are not bothered (he is a chef), but do have a rmoska and a cadac, intend to take a small microwave too. There was a microwave in the van we have now, when we viewed it, asked for it to be taken out, used van, this was done, pleasantly surprised to find the microwave in the van garage when we picked it up. Now waiting in garage at home for our home one to pack up. oops shouldn't have said that.

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Thanks for all of your valuable input and answers my main question about the viability of the combo unit.

We will request that they go back to the original specification agreed and figure out how to install the oven. It is going to cost us a lot of cupboard/drawer space but for us having an oven for the next two years travelling around is a requirement.

At least we are in the motorhome now and have started our European adventure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back