HELP ~ any legal eagles out there? (1 Viewer)

Bugbox

Free Member
May 5, 2013
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Bespoke built 7.5 t Merc
Exp
Am thinking about he legalities of having a vehicle wrapped in another companies graphics so it would help pay for the upkeep of motorhome when travelling around. This would sponsor the upkeep of the unit.

Are their any legal eagles out there who'd know if taxation class would need to be changed from Private/HGV to HGV because of this and if an operators licence would then be required.

Concerned about being stopped by VOSA and vehicle impounded. Motorhome is already very conspicuous because of unique shape...

:Smile: Suggestions appreciated...

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Am thinking about he legalities of having a vehicle wrapped in another companies graphics so it would help pay for the upkeep of motorhome when travelling around. This would sponsor the upkeep of the unit.

Are their any legal eagles out there who'd know if taxation class would need to be changed from Private/HGV to HGV because of this and if an operators licence would then be required.

Concerned about being stopped by VOSA and vehicle impounded. Motorhome is already very conspicuous because of unique shape...

:Smile: Suggestions appreciated...

I think Mr HMRC will want his part of the income....:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's only advertising , I don't see why that would affect taxation class ..however..

some sites ( notably the CClub ) have a rule that bars 'sign written' vehicles..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't know.

Why not ask VOSA?

You will need to declare the income though including the servicing costs that the sponsor would pay as a bebefit in kind or something like that. Dont know much about tax though.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
agree with ScotJimland and its not just the cc sites that ban signwritten vans and commercial vehicles.

Here are some other questions that may need answering - dont know whether you have considered these

Would it be regarded as a commercial vehicle technically it would be advertising a business therefore technically a business vehicle????

What would you answer on is the vehicle used for business purposes???? Should the answer be yes???

When going abroad would the advertising attract HM Customs and Excise and make you more liability to the vehicle being thoroughly searched????

May be more hassle than its worth???

Apologies if it seems I am putting a damper on what seems to be a good business deal for you, but better us funsters bring up questions than you have it all done and end up not being able to use it where and when you want to xxxxxx

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Many years ago there was a scheme that adverts could be put on specific cars. My chum had a new original mini and it carried an advert for Durex on the small family car!
Nowadays taxis have ads. How many of you have the number plates with the name of the supplying garage on them or a rear window sticker with a firm on it?
The CC banning sign written vehicles is one vestige of the old style club when it was expected to have a bowl of fruit in the van window,even when nobody's sick! or dressing for dinner!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I think Mr HMRC will want his part of the income....:Angry:

Only if you pay income tax, us pensioners with our higher tax allowance try not to. :ROFLMAO:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
The vehicle will be classed as a business vehicle if you are earning from it. It will have to have business insurance or use for business on the policy.

I will assume you will be hiring via a management company - the same laws apply either way - but makes it easier to explain.

If you are going to sub hire via a company that wants their name on your vehicle, you will need to ensure the vehicle is properly insured by them whilst on hire (or being used if not hired)

Your own insurance company need to be made aware of the arrangement and sgree to it - adding business use to the policy.

You will need to register as self employed for this second income, and fill in a tax return. Treat yourself as a business, sub letting to another business and you will have your rear end covered.

OP
OP
B

Bugbox

Free Member
May 5, 2013
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Bespoke built 7.5 t Merc
Exp
Thanks Funsters,

Gives a lot to think about...
Will be in touch with VOSA and DVLC for opinion and get answer in writing in case of dispute.
:thumb:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Don't expect too much from VOSA (now DVSA - Driving & Vehicle Standards Agency by the way) or DVLA. I guarantee their last line will be "The above is only an opinion, ultimately only the courts can decide."

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
First thing that springs to my mind is depreciation when you come to sell..

The sun will soon fade any of the body parts that are not wrapped/Sign written... :blush:

I expect your insurance will go up, as you will have to declare what you have done, and it will not be classed as standard..:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back