Help and Advice please selling motorhome and accessories (1 Viewer)

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, some of you will know that Stephen (the "ste" bit of steles) lost his battle with mesothelioma. I'm now in the position where I need to sell our 2011 Autosleeper Kemerton and a garage and loft full of "bits". I don't really feel up to coping with time-wasters or test drives, and wondered if anyone had used any of the people who advertise in the back of CC and C&CC mags who suggest they'll buy for cash. There's also someone in Derby who'll market it for me, ie put it in their showroom, take it to shows, etc. Has anyone any constructive suggestions? Really would be appreciated :)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I know you may feel that you don't want to sell yourself ,but bear in mind there are loads of genuine buyers out there.
Priced right a newish van like that will sell itself.
If you use an agent you'll be giving away a load of cash,which is fine if you don't need it.But it would sit better in your pocket than theirs .

Vlad

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry to hear that - condolences and sympathy. I can understand why you don't want time-wasters, and wonder if there is a Funster close by to you who could help you out on this. I get the impression that those who advertise in the back of magazines are looking to pay rock bottom prices for vans.

You could look to see what your model is selling for, take a proportion off and make that your price, no haggling, and it might just save a lot of hassle for you...

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
Our sympathy too.
We bought ours through Motorhome depot, they do the marketing and negotiations but you still have to take the vehicle to their premises if someone wants to view it.
best wishes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I am so sorry for your loss.
Sorry, can't advise on selling anything but others here have sound advice.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So sorry to hear of your loss.. a most trying and sad time..
Don't know if you drive or not, but if you do, have you thought about trading it for a smaller van.. and keep the hobby going ? Lots of singles on here.

Another possibility , there are some motorhome dealers who will sell it for you .. it sits on their forecourt , they sell and take a cut..
I believe Johns Cross does that... but too far for you..ask around locally

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Condolences on your loss and sorry for you with the task ahead.

Kath and Howie

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
:)thanks, folks, for your kind words, and advice.
I suspected that "back of magazine" dealers would want to give rock bottom prices,that's why I wondered if anyone had used them. as suggested, if I could find a market price in advance it would give me a guide of what to expect.
classified could help with the accessories too.
had considered carrying on on my own, but it just wouldn't feel right or be the same without Stephen-it was such a together thing.
so, please keep the ideas coming - good to get someone else's viewpoint on things. many thanks:)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Steles, firstly sorry for your loss, have you considered the autosleeper owners forum? They maybe able to help you with a guide price.

We sold our 2011 autosleeper Northants to a dealer in January, very straight forward we rang the dealer who sold us the motorhome but he was stock heavy so didn't want it but gave us an idea of price. We then negotiated a happy selling price with the other dealer, dropped the van off, money transferred immediately, job done.

Good luck. Pm me if you want more info but dealers in question are too far away from you.

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
So sorry to hear your sad news.

had considered carrying on on my own, but it just wouldn't feel right or be the same without Stephen-it was such a together thing.
so, please keep the ideas coming - good to get someone else's viewpoint on things. many thanks:)

Do you think that it might be worthwhile waiting a bit to see if you really want to sell? Or maybe even try a local trips first on your own? I'm sure the first one would be very hard but there are so many females that do go on their own I don't think you'd ever be short of company.
It's only an idea but you may find you like it with better weather coming up.

xx

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Very, very sorry to hear your news.

Sorry to hear that - condolences and sympathy. I can understand why you don't want time-wasters, and wonder if there is a Funster close by to you who could help you out on this. I get the impression that those who advertise in the back of magazines are looking to pay rock bottom prices for vans.

You could look to see what your model is selling for, take a proportion off and make that your price, no haggling, and it might just save a lot of hassle for you...

I was going to suggest the same. Wish we were closer and could do it for you.

Don't tell anyone why you are selling or they will use it as a bargaining chip to get the price down. Sometimes just a notice in the window of the van will encourage people to ask / call and perhaps you could use a friend's telephone number.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mousy, we got our van from Marquis. Tried them first, just for an idea of price, and after several phone calls to them they promised to ring back several times but never did. gave up on them then.
don't know any reputable dealers in this area who might want to buy outright. the Autosleeper dealer in Derby wanted to do it on a sale or return basis.
will have a look at the A-S forum, thanks:)

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Oh dear, Puddleduck, hadn't thought that giving the reason for sale would be used as a means to get the price down. that's not good. thanks for the tip:)

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Hi Steles,
We have just sold our motorhome privately, we are now buying another. We put it on the Caravan Club website which also places it on the Caravans for sale site both of these sites are free ( you must be members of the CC tho. Or know someone who is and will do it for you) we first asked the dealer for a price which was very low and then looked up prices on the web for similar motorhomes, autotrader etc. Rather than try and get too much money for it just advertise a price which you would be happy getting even after reducing it to the buyer, and of course be honest about what you are selling. We had three enquiries for ours all nice people, the third people to enquire bought it, they transferred the money to us by Internet which is safe and immediate nowadays, just to add never let the MH go unless you have the money safely in your bank.
Hope this is useful good luck for the future.
Etap

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello, can't really offer much in the way of technical support, but would be pleased to help if needed, we are quite local, personally I would suggest a sale to a dealer for sheer ease, Oak Tree Motorhomes are another local option (near IKEA)

Shame on Marquis for the lack of consideration and attention to their customers, hopefully they might happen on this, or one of us who knows them can let them know how bad they look

On a positive note, I am going to the Bring and Buy meet, if it helps I would be delighted to collect as much as we can fit in our MH and take down to sell for you to a group of knowledgeable and appreciative buyers, send me a PM if this helps

Last edited:
OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
thanks, Etap, for useful advice and suggestions. we are members of CC but had discounted their website for selling the van because of the necessity of test drives etc. I know it's lazy, but so much going on at the moment, trying to find the easiest solution. CC might be useful for the accessories though.:)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
So sorry for your loss a difficult time sorting things out, have you thought about advertising it on Fun there is a wide base here and could be worth a try, a smaller motorhome in the future may be an idea so maybe keeping back a few of the accessories could be worth while until you feel up to dealing with it, totally agree you don't want or need time wasters .

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Reading the above, unless you really need to sell then maybe why not hold back a while and then make a decision.
I have known 2 ladies who sold their vans and then later regretted the move and came back to solo motorhoming..
You can see from the replies here there is some great support via MHF, the rallies / meets and general community may be of benefit..

Spring is coming and vans will soon be selling, you will find a cash buyer / dealers but remember they do it as a business and you will take a large hit. Private is better but you may need help to avoid any stress / hassle.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, David. will try Oak Tree, they used to be just down the road from us before they moved to their present site. they never used to have very much for sale, but I haven't visited their new place.
Also very many thanks for B&B offer. I may take you up on that, will pm you when I've got a clear picture of what I have.:)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We are sorry for your loss.

I suspect most dealers would sell it for you on a commission or fee basis. (y)

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
thanks Carol and Tonka, wise advice:)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Very sorry to hear of your loss.
as previously said don't be in too much of a hurry to sell,but as an idea of the vans potential ,from a dealer local to you ,or is this your van ?
Their link is below.
whatever you decide we wish you well for the future.

kemerton.jpg

Broken Link Removed

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
Very sorry to read of your situation.
We used a dealer to sell our caravan on our behalf. He told us what we could expect for it. That was much more than any dealer offered to give us cash. It was also more than I thought I could have got by selling it privately. The caravan sat on his lot for six months but we got the agreed figure. It took a long time but we didn't have to do any viewings or negotiations.

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
So very very sorry to hear of your loss sweetheart...do hope it all gets sorted out quickly with as little stress as possible for you...gentle empathic hugggs x

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
very sorry to hear of your loss. but we do hope you change your mind. and stay with us.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@irnbru Have you sold the one you were stuck at Lomond in...was it a chausson? Are you replacing it? :)
Yes we sold it this morning, was paid a deposit so we are dropping it off at Leeds on Monday and hopefully we will be buying an autotrail to come home in. The sellers will follow us to Leeds if we are taking it. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back