Help and Advice from Laika owners. (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1988
Hi all,
I’m looking for some honest opinions.
Im currently looking to replace my trusty but ageing Motorhome and have seen ( but not yet viewed) a Laika Ecovip 709 that certainly seems to fit our requirements.

So why the dilemma? - I know absolutely nothing about Laika apart from they are Italian.
Yes I’ve done some googling and there is plenty about the insulation etc but what are they like to own.
I believe there are only 2 main dealers in the UK ?
Are parts as accessible as say other Continental vans?
Have they a good reputation for build quality, water ingress and general longevity? I tend to keep my vehicles longer than most.

Any advice and opinions (based on ownership) would be greatly welcomed. Any tips on what to look for etc.
Im hoping any comments are favourable as I like the spec of this vehicle but certainly don’t want to buy into problems/trouble.

Kind regards
Mark

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Mark, we have a Kreos 5009 and love it. We call it a Ferrari with Porsche engineering because Hymer own the brand but it has Italian flair, apart from a few niggles at the beginning which were promptly sorted by Southdowns we wouldn’t change it. We have done nearly 40k in it over the last 3.5 years from the bottom of Spain to top of Norway and it hasn’t missed a beat.
I say go for it and you’ll become part of an elite group as there aren’t many of us out there

OP
OP
Silviffer
Jan 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Poutie57.

That’s certainly true about not many Laika's about. They are certainly different in looks and somewhat elite ??,but my main concern was the build quality and availability of spares.
Not worried about the mechanical side as Fiat running gear is the most common and fairly robust.
The van I was interested in has all the main attributes I’m looking for -large garage, good payload, Alde, updated engine and auto box.
However, unfortunately the owner has not kept up to date with the Hab checks therefore the ingress warranty will be void ! That is making me apprehensive especially as it’s a marque with little history.
Delighted to hear you’re having lots of great experiences in yours tho. Long may it continue.

For me, I think the search continues.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. Much appreciated.

Mark.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I would definitely keep a Laika on your list, just not that one! We have an Ecovip 712, also bought from Southdowns. As well as Southdowns in Portsmouth there are dealers in Lincoln and Manchester.

This is our third MH, we had a Swift and a Pilote and we couldn’t be happier with the Laika; it’s so much better than our others. We’ve had it four years and toured all around the UK, France and Spain. It does have Italian flair but it’s also very well built. The insulation is excellent meaning we’re toasty warm in winter and it’s cool enough to leave our dog in, even in Spain.

Southdowns are excellent dealers with very good customer services and after sales service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back