Help/advise (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
After I put my new double din radio in (all working and good) my airbag light came on... now I’ve checked all the wiring under the seats and sprayed contact cleaner on all the connectors I can find....

my cheap OBD reader says there is no codes or faults....?

So i am now doing the “disconnect cab battery” thing.....

but/however ...... when I turned the ignition on my dash lights up..!!! Starts making a few clicking noises and goes blank....

I have the negative lead completely off ... so is the power coming from the hab batteries or solar..? I have taken the 50amp fuse out from next to the cab battery....

what’s going on...???

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It's very doubtful a cheap reader will show any SRS codes as they are part of the chassis.
Cheap readers generally only read engine codes.

any idea on why I still have some power to the dials/dash..?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
99.9% you did something wrong when fitting the radio.. Go back and undo everything you did (disconnect radio etc) and see if the lights go out..

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
99.9% you did something wrong when fitting the radio.. Go back and undo everything you did (disconnect radio etc) and see if the lights go out..

Funny enough I took it back out and re-checked everything.... I know it’s probably something to do with putting the radio in, short or touched something that aggravated it but why would messing with the radio make the airbag light come on...?

but my main question is why have I got power at the ignition when I’ve disconnected the negative on the cab battery...?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
checking is OK but did you actually disconnect it as what you thought may have been the right wire on a diagram or "tested" correctly, may not have done what you thought it did.. Every wire including earth removed and separated from any joins you made..
Never mind the other "faults" yet.
ALWAYS ALWAYS start at the beginning when something goes haywire after you've been in there.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
To be honest it was a fairly easy straight swop, but my guess was I routed the arial cables past the passenger airbag and I may of disturbed something there... I’ve checked as much as I can...

but my concern now is getting rid of the warning light and I’m going to leave the negative off the cab battery all night but it won’t work if there is power coming from the hab batteries..?

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
pull the hab battery fuse then or disconnect the hab earth

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
To be honest it was a fairly easy straight swop, but my guess was I routed the arial cables past the passenger airbag and I may of disturbed something there... I’ve checked as much as I can...

but my concern now is getting rid of the warning light and I’m going to leave the negative off the cab battery all night but it won’t work if there is power coming from the hab batteries..?
If you've got something like a batterymaster fitted and it isn't connected directly to the vehicle battery then this might power the dashboard but only to the extent it wakes up, decides it doesn't have enough current so turns off.

But as HandAndy suggests, this is almost certainly a red herring. You need to remove the radio then see what faults remain and isolate them.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Right, I’ve checked everything.... even put the old radio back in... crooked my neck and busted my arms checking all the wires I could find under the seats and dash, disconnected all batteries for a few hours and it’s still on...?

booked in next week at a new to me but recommended garage for a diagnostic check...

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
It could really be a faulty air bag and it’s purely coincidental that you were changing the radio at that time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back