Help/Advise required from household electrical whizzes. (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Ok, not quite Web connections but in this day and age it seems to me that the two are becoming more and more dependent on one another to deliver Smart technology.

I'll start with the background to why I am asking for advice in the first place. I have an old 1940s prefabricated bungalow which I recently purchased from a local housing association under the Right To Buy scheme.

The bungalow is in a very poor state of repair one of the problems being rotten facia boards, asbestos soffits and partial gable end cladding as I'm not getting any younger now (knocking on the door of 70) and we are not awash with resource I decided to tackle this job first, well that's a lie really, in reality I had no choice, No tradesmen wanted the job at at price within my budget and to be honest I don't think they wanted that type of work anyway.

So after advice from a local asbestos removal expert I have removed everything from the back of the property and put new facia boards up ready to clad with UPVC. My thoughts then turned to lighting and security, I have simple access to the loft and soffit area and it would seem stupid not to hide all wiring in the soffit void whilst completing this task.

I am no tradesman (my trade was the long since dead and buried worsted spinning trade) I am however a reasonable DIYer,

I have no spare connection on the consumer unit but one outside light via a pull switch from the kitchen below the loft. I have switched off the circuit breaker and removed the outside light but the wiring is the old UPVC or something similar. I intend to pull a new wire through to the soffit area from the consumer unit and then add around 15 smart (max 18w each) soffit bulbs and my first thought was, do I need a physical switch? most smart bulbs are permanently on a live circuit anyway and in the event of any problems you have the consumer unit circuit breaker? I would also like to add 3 to 4 WIFI cameras powered by usb from the same circuit?

I know you are going to tell me it can't be done, which is why I'm asking in the first place, I don't know! but would like to see what your collective thoughts are (y)
My thoughts are a junction box in the loft immediately above the consumer unit which is central to the whole bungalow then make the first connection to a 13amp switched 2 gang usb unit then connect to the soffit lights and return to junction box (the junction box I think junction box could be omitted and both connections made to the consumer unit with the 2gang usb unit in the loft between? I would then have a short enough run to connect the usb cameras to the usb unit.

This is a solid wall constructed building and anyone who is unfamiliar with this type of construction think "Grimstone Garages" be aware that adding any wiring or sockets to the building although not impossible is extremely difficult and decor distressing:LOL:

I realise I have now laid myself defenceless to my lack of knowledge but hope that you will be able to come up with a safe viable way of achieving my goal.

Thanks in advance.
Les

Last edited:

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I really wish I was in the position to help you,,but I would really get an electrician in,,it’s not worth the risk,,pm me if you need help, if you know what I mean (y)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
It would be easier to get an electrician to fit a new consumer unit. It would be much more beneficial as well as sorting your little issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
On quite a different tack! I do hope your retaining the heritage of the prefab. A period of sustainable development post war, I remember well the innovative designs ironing board drop down etc.
Built were jobs had value, traveling to work on a bike no 4x4 due leaves in Hertfordshire on the road or the mountains of Berkshire.
Installing 1/2 galvanised pipe plumbing, very underated properties.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I am no electrician, however I do know given the age of the property, it’s likely to need a complete rewire. I don’t think a sparky will touch it without bringing everything up to standard.

I would be inclined to go with your plan and use a junction box.

The ideal is a rewire, if you haven’t got the cash, you have to work with what you have.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I concur with Googlebot wrt the rewire…..if the outside light wiring needs replacing, it’s odds-on that the rest of the wiring in the bungalow is even older! A new consumer unit will also help with any ‘future’ work too….. ;)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
If the property has been under the umbrella of a Housing Association did they not rewired at some point?

I would be inclined to contact my local council and Age concern, there should be some local suppor services. Where we live the council have a list of tradesmen who via the council do work at a massive discount for the elderly.

I retired my own house, just had to get the work signed off by a sparks afterwards (I actually retired but left it for the sparks to connect all the circuits to the consumer unit he bought along at the end, it’s not hard but if you doing a live property just be careful.

As for security sounds like the best option may be an eithernet camera system where the cameras have built in security lights, less cabling to run and lights and cameras sorted in one hit, another option would be Ajax battery powered security. see Here also look at Mr Beams Here Mr Beams web site is good but it’s normally cheaper to buy via their Amazon store.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Now then!
If you need a really good explanation of house electricity then lookup John ward on YouTube.
Dont mess with a live consumer unit - just make sure its isolated from the incoming mains.
If you can replace the outside light wire into the cu then that's a start and u say it's got a curcuit breaker that I assume is 6 amp. So you have about 700 watts to play with. U could replace the 6amp with a 10 or 16amp as long as you have gone up to 2.5 t&e.
If it were me the first connection after the cu would be a double pole switched fused spur replacing the pull switch. I would probably make up a board to mount in the loft and have everything radiating out from that and if the lights are available in 12v then the transformer/s could go on there.
Disclaimer: it's what I might do - you need to decide for yourself and if not sure get it done by a sparks.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If the property has been under the umbrella of a Housing Association did they not rewired at some point?

I would be inclined to contact my local council and Age concern, there should be some local suppor services. Where we live the council have a list of tradesmen who via the council do work at a massive discount for the elderly.

I retired my own house, just had to get the work signed off by a sparks afterwards (I actually retired but left it for the sparks to connect all the circuits to the consumer unit he bought along at the end, it’s not hard but if you doing a live property just be careful.

As for security sounds like the best option may be an eithernet camera system where the cameras have built in security lights, less cabling to run and lights and cameras sorted in one hit, another option would be Ajax battery powered security. see Here also look at Mr Beams Here Mr Beams web site is good but it’s normally cheaper to buy via their Amazon store.
I would put money on the housing association not having spent a penny on it. At least when the council owned the houses they was basic but looked after.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not to put a damper on your enthusiasm but a note of caution - insurance companies tend to look unfavourably on any electrical work not carried out, or at least certified, by a qualified electrician. Officially anything more than changing a fuse or light bulb is supposed to be at least checked by an electrician.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Cant quite envisage what you say about the outside light sitch, As long as the "old" pvc" is safe and ok then stop at that point with a fused spur before the existing light and at that point take your new requirements from it fuse ad no more than 3 amp. That way you havent altered anything in the fuse box so you are limited to that fuse, or I hope its a breaker, ( 6amp?) will limit any overload which with Leds is very unlikely.
Be careful and all should be ok
Mike
I have pinched a quote from Berni just to protect me! "Disclaimer: it's what I might do - you need to decide for yourself and if not sure get it done by a sparks."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back