Help - 2018 Ducati 12v lighter socket (1 Viewer)

GHN

Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm puzzled and would appreciate some help.

2018 Rapido 680f on Fiat Ducati base. I've been using the 12v cab lighter socket to run a tyre inflator. On the final tyre it stopped working. I spent ages trying to get into the under bonnet fuse box and with the help of a phone call to my local garage finally got into it by removing the headlamp unit. So then I checked fuse 15 which according to the Fiat manual is the fuse for the offending socket. It hadn't blown?

I use this socket for my reversing camera and dash cam so it's important that I get it working. It's an ignition on socket as is the USB socket next to it (which works ok). I've checked and there is no power going into the socket.

I've removed various panels to try and see if there is an inline fuse but haven't located one.

Really don't know what else to try.

I'm sure there will be some experts on this forum who can help me get it sorted before Monday.

Helpful comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You need to put a multi meter on the terminals on rear of the lighter socket to see if you have a voltage. Then if not, check that fuse again, look very closely at it, they have fooled me in the past, along with the fast blow glass ones, but now I check with a multi meter to save the cost of a specksaver visit.:giggle:
Also check the terminals of the fuse box and wiring, sometimes they get corrosion and will fail especially under a heavy load that a tyre compressor will take.
Check your tyre compressor, some of them will take more than 10 amps and should not really be plugged into accessory sockets, sounds like the fuse took the load for three tyres and gave up on the forth. The motors on tyre pressure pumps get hot also, should be rested for a while dependent on how hard they have worked.
Good luck.
LES

Dec 6, 2011
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Ducato Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Did you replace the fuse or just check it? Swap it with the fuse for the usb socket (fuse 14) just to make sure. they can sometimes look ok when they are blown. If its not blown you need the check the cable between the fuse and the lighter socket with a multimeter and check your other fuses just in case it goes to a different fuse than 15.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It seems it is fuse 15 - a 15A fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Test it for continuity.

OP
OP
GHN

GHN

Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks Les and Mike. Just to confirm that I checked both fuse and supply with a multi meter. First thing tomorrow I will swap fuse 14 and 15 to see if that cures it.

It's worth mentioning that I'm using the Fiat inflator that comes with the puncture repair kit which comes supplied with a 12v lighter plug - it should do the job if it's supposed to inflate a tyre from 0 to 80psi. I was just topping up the pressures.

Thanks

OP
OP
GHN

GHN

Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks Stealaway. I checked the fuse with a multimeter and it was ok. That's why I'm perplexed.

OP
OP
GHN

GHN

Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks Lenny HB. The manual says it's Fuse15 in the engine compartment as confirmed by Mike.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Could the wire insulation have got so hot to as allowed the core to short out on it's way to the lighter socket?
They normally specify a run time of about 10mins continuous for those plug in inflater's.
Mike

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Swap the fuse for a new one, I've had that in the past, they will show a reading on a meter, but won't actually pass a currant along.
Mike.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
When I use the tyre inflator I always leave the engine running to keep the voltage up,i thought the cig socket was a 10 amp red fuse, in the box under the bonnnet.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
GHN

GHN

Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks Bouncy Boat Folk. If it shorted it would definitely blow a fuse. But tomorrow i will check that the inflator still works by plugging into the my car socket.

Thanks Bessy765. The 12v lighter socket is an ignition on socket so yes, the engine was running.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just because it says fuse 15 don't take it as gospel.
It sounds unusual for the internal fuses to be in the underbonnet fuse box. They are invariably in/under/around the dash.
Using a meter check ALL the fuses.... One will have blown

Jul 11, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
returnee
Hi,
Had the same problem on my 2017 X290 when using the Ducato tyre inflator.
I had the same joy that the F15 fuse was not blown, but the Cigarette lighter still did not work. It finally worked out that it was the F16 fuse that had blown and that was the fuse cigarette lighter hooked up to. Something about LHD vs RHD!!!
Hope this helps speed things up !
http://www.autogenius.info/fiat-ducato-base-camper-from-2014-fuse-box-diagram/

the Pump also blew the fuse in my car - so I bought one of these http://amzn.eu/5BoC8nW

Finally - let me know how you get on pulling the fuse out - needed a full size set of pliers to get the things extracted - the little plastic extractors that are supposed to be used are of no use at all

OP
OP
GHN

GHN

Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Ooh Pappajohn that's a heck of a suggestion! Both the Fiat and the Rapido manual suggest it must be fuse 15 under the bonnet.

Thanks Mark McG. Now that's interesting, I'll check F16 first thing tomorrow. And yes they are a bug-er to get out - had to use pliers!

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’d read about the tyre inflator causing this problem, so I purchased an heavy duty inflator that connects directly to the vehicle battery via the terminals under the bonnet.

First tried the Ring RAC900.....but that kept blowing the 30a in line fuse. I returned that and got a T-Max, good piece of kit. (y)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Ive had four ducato S, from 1999 up to 2019 the cig lighter fuse has always been under the bonnet in the box by the air filter. Earlier ones 10 amp red 2019is 15 amp.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Our 2013 boxer has 2 auxiliary sockets side by side but the factory supplied inflator has a non standard plug and will only fit in the socket marked 180w which is protected by a 15A fuse in fuse box under the bonnet.
Both of the fuses would have been a lot more accessible if they’d been located in the fuse box close to the drivers knee.

OP
OP
GHN

GHN

Jan 22, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's sorted! Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help.

It was as Taffybloke suggested fuse 14 which should be for the USB socket.

The good news is that the inflator still works as well.

So, what have I learnt?

To get to the engine compartment fuse box, you don't need to be an unsuccessful contortionist. Just remove the 2 bolts holding the headlamp assembly and hey presto - easy access to the fuse box.

I'm going to add some crocodiles clips and an inline fuse to the inflator. Then connect it to the +ve clip of the terminal under the small flap to the left of the fusebox. (No need to remove the headlight). This is so much easier to access than directly onto the battery terminals.

Although the inflator works ok, in future I will only run it for 5 mins at a time - that puts about 10psi in.

Always have some spare fuses - don't assume that the ones you bought for your previous van will be the same size!

If following the van manual doesn't appear to be solving the problem then seek advice from MHF!

And finally, try not to have a similar incident when it's effing freezing outside!

Thanks - Greg đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
It's sorted! Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help.

It was as Taffybloke suggested fuse 14 which should be for the USB socket.

The good news is that the inflator still works as well.

So, what have I learnt?

To get to the engine compartment fuse box, you don't need to be an unsuccessful contortionist. Just remove the 2 bolts holding the headlamp assembly and hey presto - easy access to the fuse box.

I'm going to add some crocodiles clips and an inline fuse to the inflator. Then connect it to the +ve clip of the terminal under the small flap to the left of the fusebox. (No need to remove the headlight). This is so much easier to access than directly onto the battery terminals.

Although the inflator works ok, in future I will only run it for 5 mins at a time - that puts about 10psi in.

Always have some spare fuses - don't assume that the ones you bought for your previous van will be the same size!

If following the van manual doesn't appear to be solving the problem then seek advice from MHF!

And finally, try not to have a similar incident when it's effing freezing outside!

Thanks - Greg đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
Can put in 10psi in about a minute (or less) with the T-Max and engine running. (y)

Nov 10, 2020
Glasgow, UK
Funster No
MH
Globecar Roadscout
Exp
Since 2017
We just had exactly the same problem this week and it had my husband scratching his head until we searched Motorhomefun and found this thread. He's fixed it now and says:

"Thanks to Greg and to Taffybloke for this great piece of advice.

I blew the cigar lighter fuse using an AA tyre inflator — it was on for around 15 minutes or so before cutting out.

I changed the 15A F15 fuse that is listed as being for the cigar lighter in the 2021 Fiat Ducato owners’ handbook and it made no difference. In fact, after inspecting more carefully, I could see that the F15 fuse I had removed actually looked fine.

After searching for help, I followed the advice here to change F14 instead and, hey presto, the cigar lighter works again. When I looked at the removed F14 fuse, I could see that it was blown.

As if vehicle electrics wasn’t difficult enough to get your head around without them actually printing the wrong information in the owner handbook!

Incidentally, I was able to remove the fuse box housing cover in the engine compartment without actually having to remove the headlight although it is true that it would have been easier after removing the headlamp (not too onerous if you have the right tool).

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back