help 1st tour to Portugal from Scotland (1 Viewer)

lucas70

Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
hi everyone and a Happy New Year to all.last yr we purchased our 1st motorhome after several yrs of caravanning, its a 2004 Frankia i700 2004. so after recovering from a long ilness we have decided to do our 1st trip abroad to Portugal leaving in the middle of feb, taking the chunnel then on through France where our last stopover will be at Biarritz. Then on to Portugal avoiding as many tolls as possible.
we will be travelling via= Vittoria Gastez,Burgos,Salamanca,Plascencia,Merida Estremoz and Sintra. This route is open ended as we don't know the best places to stay so my question is to everyone who may have done a similar journey.
We would like to stay at a camp site for approx a week to get our breath back in Spain before going onward can anyone reccomend a good camp site for us two adults and two dogs? also any info on good sites to stop at in Portugal maybe for as long as a month would be very helpful. We are hoping to return late April. obviously finding it a bit daunting 1st time, many thanks punsters Lou

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
hi everyone and a Happy New Year to all.last yr we purchased our 1st motorhome after several yrs of caravanning, its a 2004 Frankia i700 2004. so after recovering from a long ilness we have decided to do our 1st trip abroad to Portugal leaving in the middle of feb, taking the chunnel then on through France where our last stopover will be at Biarritz. Then on to Portugal avoiding as many tolls as possible.
we will be travelling via= Vittoria Gastez,Burgos,Salamanca,Plascencia,Merida Estremoz and Sintra. This route is open ended as we don't know the best places to stay so my question is to everyone who may have done a similar journey.
We would like to stay at a camp site for approx a week to get our breath back in Spain before going onward can anyone reccomend a good camp site for us two adults and two dogs? also any info on good sites to stop at in Portugal maybe for as long as a month would be very helpful. We are hoping to return late April. obviously finding it a bit daunting 1st time, many thanks punsters Lou
@bigtree @irnbru @Mags52
Trev \ Sandra \ Mags have all done it in last few months from Scotland and may be able to give you some pointers?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
Thinking of doing something similar but leaving middle/end of March and back in May. Will watch this thread with interest, especially keen to hear about the pros and cons of using Samport Tunnel.

Hope you enjoy your motorhoming as much as we do. Have been to France a few times now and had some lovely times. It really is motorhome heaven as far as we're concerned, so easy, so relaxing something, for everyone.

Happy travels

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi there, We have done it two years running from Scotland with our two dogs. Read about it in our blogs - the address is below. Loads of good places to park en route. This winter we took a similar route to the one you are planning so you can see all the places we stopped. Enjoy! Mags

OP
OP
L

lucas70

Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
Hi thanks Mags but no blog address

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I would second Camping Caceres. In winter with Acsi card its pay for 3 nights and get 4th free. All ensuite pitches too. Never enjoyed the restaurant food.

In Portugal Camping Albufeira is approx 10euros a night in winter and toilet blocks are kept immaculate. A new cycle route was getting laid into town while we were there.

Take plenty tea bags with you, go and enjoy (y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
There is an Aire at Vittoria Gastiez. It. Is right in the centre where they hold the Market and is a huge car park with some dedicated MH places in the corner together with the services. It is next to some sort of medical centre and I remember we had just closed the blinds about 6pm when the pre natal classes kicked out and about 30 heavily pregnant ladies stood outside the van and put the world to rights in the quiet tone that Spanish ladies take when they are talking to each other:eek:

OP
OP
L

lucas70

Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
Hi guys, we have both had a bought of the dreaded flue so have been delayed. Hoping to get away by the end of the month, many thanks to everyone for your advice. Lou and Jill

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
There is an Aire at Vittoria Gastiez. It. Is right in the centre where they hold the Market and is a huge car park with some dedicated MH places in the corner

One of the stalls sells litres of wine, 15 litres for 15euros. Was very reasonable to drink, wish I’d got more now.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Merida is well worth a visit if you are interested in Roman stuff.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hello. Great to hear you’ll soon be off. Good luck. I can’t offer you any advice as never done it,but I do hope you will keep us up to date with everything as we will be doing something similar within a couple of years.

OP
OP
L

lucas70

Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
Hi guys, here is an update. I have been very unwell recently and still in recovery so to speak. So SWMBO has decided that our trip will now be postponed as spring is on its way (I hope) she has decided that we will now do our trip in October and stay away through the winter probably return next February, but will dpend on how we fare and the weather. many thanks to eveyone for your support I will keep you posted regards to all Lou and Jill

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi guys, here is an update. I have been very unwell recently and still in recovery so to speak. So SWMBO has decided that our trip will now be postponed as spring is on its way (I hope) she has decided that we will now do our trip in October and stay away through the winter probably return next February, but will dpend on how we fare and the weather. many thanks to eveyone for your support I will keep you posted regards to all Lou and Jill
Sounds like a good plan. Good luck.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You may find this helpful.
Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back