Help 110 and 12V gone from Shore and Batts (1 Viewer)

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Hi All my first posting....!
as some of you know I full time in an ancient RV down South.

anyway...

my RV lights flickered about 6 times and now have gone completely.

The fridge (was running on LPG) and the meter board and everything else non 240V has gone.. All fuses are fine

The power unit is still humming and there is still 110Volts going to it from my step down builders transformer.
All has been running perfectly for 8 months non stop.

I have lit some candles but need some ideas..

Why wont the batteries take over like normal when you disconnect shore power? does the power from them go back to the power unit before being distributed to the lights etc? i.e. depsite the humming does it sound like the power unit has gone?

A quick basic run down of events would be very nice:)

thanks as always
John

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi John
It took you a while to find us matey :roflmto: But welcome anyway :winky:
I should think that you will find that the charger has failed for some reason, the humming is probably the 230 - 110 transformer running. The reason the lights have gone out is probably because you didn't notice when the charging stopped and now the batteries have discharged themselves.
Have you checked any fuses near to the batteries? Have you checked for any circuit breakers that may have tripped (I know all about undies tripping breakers :roflmto:)
Did you check to see if the battery terminals are good and clean including the earth strap?
The batteries feed the distribution center and the charger ( or alternator) charges the batteries, you do not need mains to charge the batteries as they should charge from either the motor or the genny as well as the mains hook up, maybe you can check this out also?
Please let us know how you get on matey....

Keith

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
Keith hi ;)

the humming is def from the built in control unit, the tranformer hums away seperately..

all fuses and trips checked...

the lights didnt go out gently.,, a few flickers (on full brightness) and then nothing.

also went was the fridge operation lights (green LPG etc)
the AC gone too..,.

So, I am sure the tranny is fine. just removed it from system and control unit humming stopped, batteries are all good and were working perfectly even last weekend...

hmmm
will get back to you

J

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
ok

I replugged the 110 supply into the control unit (I am 99% thats what I have done)

AC is on and fine, control unit humms

lights came on (about 7 were on at this point) and went off after a second..

so.. 110 seems fine, 12V seems the suspect..
has to be the power converter... (110 to 12) ?

Jj

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks John

I am going to pull the unit apart and see what I find....

:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johng

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
ok well started to look inside.,
I am not sure I can post a pic :( as the limits seem low.. anyway. in the 110-12V part of the unit is a small switch sitting on top of what I can only describe as a solenoid, blue, cylindrical, about the size of 8 x 10 pences stacked, with a steel rod inside that 'pushes' the electric switch closed..

If , with Shore off, I push the switch, the electric is back from the battery.. the good news is the fridge now works on gas and the lights are there if I need them, for now..

all I am doing is bypassing the problem and running the van off batteries... wonder why it no longer does this by itself when I unhook?

anyone want the pic, email me jgra1@hotmail.com

:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back