Helmsley Overnight Parking (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
As the heading suggests we are thinking of staying in the Cleavland Way car park in Helmsley for a couple of nights early May.
I don’t think there will be any problem but has anyone stayed recently with a view to all the changes since the epidemic.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hoping to stay there too late next month

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Not sure if you have stayed before Ian but we used it a lot before the restrictions. Great for the lovely little market town. Castle worth a visit, we are English Heritage members. The walled gardens are nice with good cafe.
There are some nice walks in the area of coarse including the start of the Cleavland Way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes we have and you're correct it is a fabulous little treasure

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure if you have stayed before Ian but we used it a lot before the restrictions. Great for the lovely little market town. Castle worth a visit, we are English Heritage members. The walled gardens are nice with good cafe.
There are some nice walks in the area of coarse including the start of the Cleavland Way.
Had a look on Google maps. Which part of the car park do you use please?

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
It’s the overflow car park at the back behind the coach park. Do not use the coach bays. The car park man gets a bit miffed and starts issuing tickets.
As yet no one has said iff it’s open or closed I think we will chance it. I can’t see somewhere like Helmsley turning motorhomes away. Last time we were there most of the people in the que for the chippy were from the motorhomes. In the morning there was a steady flow of people heading for the bakery for bacon butties.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It’s the overflow car park at the back behind the coach park. Do not use the coach bays. The car park man gets a bit miffed and starts issuing tickets.
As yet no one has said iff it’s open or closed I think we will chance it. I can’t see somewhere like Helmsley turning motorhomes away. Last time we were there most of the people in the que for the chippy were from the motorhomes. In the morning there was a steady flow of people heading for the bakery for bacon butties.
Thanks. When I looked on Google maps it showed a "no overnight parking" sign on the post by the road leading to the overflow car park.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Stayed in the overflow carpark in September, vehicles regularly checked for parking tickets
IMG_20200914_153116.jpg
IMG_20200914_153217.jpg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We called through Helmsley in our way over here ( Hawes ) yesterday . It was very busy . Good to see everywhere getting tourists back . We parked up in the square to get some sandwiches and cake so couldn’t comment on the overnighting. We live down the road n pickering and plan on using the parking for a night out and to eat at the Italian soon . So hope it is 👍

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I contacted the council last week and parking is now allowed again but they haven’t put the signs up yet. I live here and there has been rumblings on FB from the locals that people are overnighting in cow bank car park which is a little further north And overnighting is not allowed.
Enjoy your stay, just a pity the pubs aren’t open.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I contacted the council last week and parking is now allowed again but they haven’t put the signs up yet. I live here and there has been rumblings on FB from the locals that people are overnighting in cow bank car park which is a little further north And overnighting is not allowed.
Enjoy your stay, just a pity the pubs aren’t open.
Thanks. We won't be staying until June when on our way up to Scotland and back again. Hopefully more will be open by then.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We called through Helmsley in our way over here ( Hawes ) yesterday . It was very busy . Good to see everywhere getting tourists back . We parked up in the square to get some sandwiches and cake so couldn’t comment on the overnighting. We live down the road n pickering and plan on using the parking for a night out and to eat at the Italian soon . So hope it is 👍
Thanks. Is Hawes where you can park up in the cattle market overnight? Or am I thinking of somewhere else?

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Thanks for the input folks. It looks like we are going once muttly has had his visit to the vets.
Hopefully this will be his sign off trip after his elderly gentleman issues whilst in kennels.
We have booked in to Middlethorpe farm Filingdales for the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday that week. Walking on the Cinder Track should be nice and keep us away from the crowds in Whitby or Robin hoods bay.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Had a look on Google maps. Which part of the car park do you use please?
We use the upper section of the car park and being a stereotypical Scot I arrive late and leave early! Only jesting it is well worth the £6.00 for 24 hours stay!

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We find that if we can get on the back row of the overflow car park we can back up to the kerb with our overhang on the grassed area at the back & are more or less in a parking spot. Ticket Inspector gave us 👍. We're 7.6m

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We were at Helmsley during the summer, possibly a bank holiday. There were vans and motorhomes down both sides and two rows down the middle.
From were we were parked at the back overhanging the grass we couldn’t have got out until the middle row moved off. By the time we had finished breakfast most of the ones from the middle had moved or take empty spaces on the sides.

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I agree regarding the spacing between vehicles but I am not the one to tell someone they are parked too close unless they are noisy. We have been there when a diesel heater was running all night on the far side of the car park. I bet the van next to them was really pleased about that.
When we get there if there is enough space and we can leave a gap between vehicles I will.
In a normal car park you are door to door but when you get out you distance yourself from other people.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
As posted yesterday on the Helmsley FB a photo showing 29 vans parked up only inches a part and locals saying they had seen people pissing and crapping in the bushes. They have been complaints put into the council. It’s such a lovely spot so why do people insist on abusing it! Oh people, people.☹️

OP
OP
B
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have seen Helmsley fairly full in the summer at weekends but I didn’t count how meany were there. If this weekends weather keeps up the whole town will be bank holiday busy any way so we are not moving anywhere.
The only regulation as to the amount of units is the amount of marked out spaces. As I said if we are door to door any were we try and time our exit to keep our selfs apart.
As to using the bushes as a toilet that is defiantly not on but who would monitor that and stop it. Maybe posting pictures on social medi, name and shame would work.

chrisjordan01

Free Member
May 31, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
As the heading suggests we are thinking of staying in the Cleavland Way car park in Helmsley for a couple of nights early May.
I don’t think there will be any problem but has anyone stayed recently with a view to all the changes since the epidemic.
Next month, I'm hoping to stay there until the end of the month.

Jun 13, 2021
Leeds, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120 low-line
Exp
Autumn 2020
We were there in Autumn 2020, between lockdowns, only stayed one night in far corner ofvthe overflow park, but it was bisy with other like minded mohoers who just wanted to get away!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back