Helloooo, is there another Rollerteam owner out there (1 Viewer)

tarara

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Funster No
:shout: Looks like I'm the only one then!

It's a bit lonely in here on my lonesome, but if anyone ever is thinking about buying one of these - do!! We have an Autoroller 7 Maxi (7 berth, Ford, cruise control, twin airbags.......I won't bore you with everything), but PM me if anyone ever wants any more info.

We purchased it at four months old from a guy who bought it directly from Reismobile-discount.de (palmovski) in Bielefeld, Germany.

We went to visit them ourselves before settling on the four month old one, and woul dhave bought new but didnt want to wait until March '08 for it.

Great van, very very impressed with it. Huuuuuge over cab bed, good size bunks, shaped kitchen, full shower blah blah....

Anyways, you know where I am.... :thumb:

Damu

Free Member
Aug 6, 2007
Funster No
I knew there had to somebody else out there .

We own a Rollerteam 600G had it since March, just clocked up 10,000 miles and they have all been wonderful.

Only problems we have had have been self inflicted really or by the dealers, nothing with the Transit just odd bits with the conversion.

Mandy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

tarara

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Funster No
Not yet. Our digital camera has a battery life of about 3 seconds, so tend not to bother with it. We will get round to it soon though (been saying that for about two years)! :winky:

OP
OP
T

tarara

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Funster No
Hi Mandy, nice to hear from another owner.

Is yours LHD? We are based in Spain so its perfect for us, but know you can get RHDs from the UK (at a price)!

Thanks for the reply. :Smile:

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Hi,

After a few initial problems we are today owners of a new Roller Team 600G. Our previous van was a 2005 CI Carioca 625 so we were already kind of aware of the issues with the conversion we were likely to face (and thanks to the people at Trigano/AutoTrail/CI/Roller Team were not dissapointed - lots to do on that side!).

Anyhow, the next few weeks will be spent installing the important things like TVs, DVD players, PS2 (nothing worse than nothing to do in the rain with kids when camping) and racking out the garage for the MX bikes and tools etc. Next job is to work out where (if) it's possible to add a second clean water tank under the chassis for the power washer ...

Anyhow, here's our new toy just before it was delivered to us:

Link Removed

OP
OP
T

tarara

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Funster No
Hi there and congrats on your new acquisition!:thumb:

Our Maxi 7 is our first motorhome, and as far as we are aware we have no problems with it. Everything does exactly what it's supposed to do.

It came fitted with TV/DVD/Satellite etc, rear-view camera, cruise control etc... so we just bought some cosmetic bits and pieces for it.

We are trying to re-matriculate it here in Spain and STILL waiting for paperwork from the DVLA!:Doh:

Anyway, glad you said hello, and hope you have a great time in your RollerTeam.

Tara

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Well, the deal to sort out the camper is done - everyone is happy and our new mode of MX transport arrived last Thursday. Lots to do now as they come with nowt and we sold ours fully kitted out. So, the job list to date is:

Fit new awning (blooming heavy!)
Fit TVs in front & rear
Install new inverter (12v/240v) and run secondary 'mains' cabling/sockets
Install second leisure battery
Install DVD and plumb it to all TVs/monitors
Install reversing sensors/camera and cable all to the cab
Install cab TV/monitor
Install TV/Freeview ariel
Install Sky box/dish
Rack out garage
Install 240v into garage
Fabricate and install additional 100l fresh water tank
Take it to Ford to fit new wiring, window switches, motors and door cards

Phew! Not much to keep me busy in the evening 'till the end of the year then!

First job was to sort out the kids and fit a new TV over their bed. Argos had an excellent one day only offer and we got two 15" LCD TV's for the price of one! They have an excellent, really clear picture too. Believe it or not, the bracket weighs more than the TV! (and costs 50% as much as the telly too!). Here it is mounted in the 'travelling' position

Link Removed

and open (the DVD will be fed from the front where the other TV is and will put the PS2 on the shelf above).

Link Removed

(pics a bit naff due to no flash on my phone - sorry!)

On Saturday my friend and a fellow 'MotoX Dad' came over to help and we set about some of the outstanding list of 'to-do's'. First job was to fit the front TV into the cabinet - simple job and took just a few minutes.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Next we needed to work out where to put the new awning. Now, silly as this sounds (yes, I know it goes over the door!) it's actually far more difficult than it sounds. Firstly it is important to find where the coachbuilder had installed the strengthening bar on the vehicle (believe me, these things are heavy and if installed in the wrong place will rip the side off the vehicle. Once that was located we needed to find a datum point to measure from - we chose the center of the kitchen window for a couple of reasons; it was easy to measure from both inside and out and it had an expanse of flat roof to measure down from to get the datum for the horizontal.

Once we had marked a fitting line in pencil alont the side of the vehicle, it was time to retrieve the awning from it's storage place in the roof of my garage (got bored of the kids riding their bikes over it)

Link Removed

unpack it and check that all the mounting points etc. were included (don't want to drill the van then find can't mount the brackets!)

Link Removed

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Now we have the vertical datum set we needed to work out where on the horizontal to put the brackets. They need to be placed to allow horizontal adjustment so that the Comander-in-Chief (Mrs JDS) will be exactly happy with the final location of the awning and also to ensure that the mounts on the inside do not foul any of the furniture. We decided to put the center bracket into the wiring void above the kitchen sink

Link Removed

The rear mounts could not be hidden inside a cupboard, so we decided to place them above the rear shelf where they will be hidden by DVDs and books etc. and the front two could be hidden in the main wardrobe.

Link Removed

At the same time, I removed the main control panel (above the entrance door) to fit some additional wiring for the awning light which will be fitted in a week or so when it arrives!)

Link Removed

Now all the positions are measured and marked it was just time to drill the holes. Let me tell you, taking a power drill to the side of a brand new expensive vehicle is not the easiest of things to do (perhaps that's why the pic is so out of focus!)

Link Removed

Anyhow, 10 holes later and it was time to start fitting the brackets onto the side of the vehicle

Link Removed

Finished

Link Removed

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Inside the center bracket will be hidden by replacing the wiring facia in the cupboard

Link Removed

The rear shelf in progress

Link Removed

and finished

Link Removed

and the front mounts in the wardrobe

Link Removed

and finished too.

Link Removed

Next job was to hang the awning onto the brackets (not an easy task as these 4m awnings weigh a ton), drill the bottom of it, screw and bolt it onto the brackets and volla, finished.

Link Removed

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Next job was to install an additional 85 amp/hr leisure battery and a 600w inverter. This required us to remove the passenger seat to get to the existing leisure battery.

Link Removed

Once we could get access we needed to move the battery 90 degrees to fit the second one in, then make up new tails to connect the two. The inverter was mounted to the bulkhead behind the passenger seat, the croc-clips cut off and battery connectins crimped onto the tails to enable permanent fitting to the battery setup. By this time the light had gone so this bit invloved a lot of cussing and swearing as I kept dropping various screws and bolts and spending ages hunting them down. anyhow, this is what it looks like all finished before we re-installed the passenger seat.

Link Removed

All tested and functioning fine and the inverter will be powerful enough to run all the mains eqpt. we have in the vehicle if we don't have a hookup. Seat went back in a matter of minutes and just the sawdust left for Mrs JDS to hoover up in the morning.

Link Removed

Next job is to install the mains into the garage and start to rack it out ot hold the chairs, tables etc. (the petrol can looks a bit lost in there!)

Link Removed

Sunday we spent mostly at the MX practice track so hardly got any jobs done on the camper today. I was really impressed that they red-flagged the tracks at 11:00am this morning and everyone turned off their bikes for 2 mins silence - very moving.

Link Removed

However, I did manage to sneak in a quick job to the camper after we had unpacked and washed off the bikes this evening - we now have 240v power for the jetwash etc. in the garage

Link Removed

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
So, the list currently looks like this:

Fit new awning (blooming heavy!) DONE
Fit TVs in front & rear DONE
Install new inverter (12v/240v) and run secondary 'mains' cabling/sockets DONE
Install second leisure battery DONE
Install cab TV/monitor
Install TV/Freeview ariel DONE
Install Sky box/dish
Rack out garage
Install 240v into garage DONE

Monday came and went with no progress on the van, however, Tuesday evening saw me back at work on it agian. I decided that I was unhappy with the 240v power that I initially put in the garage - as I intend to run the jetwash etc. from it I decided to replace it with a built in RCD, much safer IMHO

Link Removed

At the same time I took the opportunity to run mains up to the rear for the TV and DVD (decided to put a seperate DVD into the rear TV setup as it was cheaper than cabling it from the front!), so added some trunking etc. and installed a double socket above. I had to remove the shelf to get the power, freeview cable (which WILL run to the reciever at the front of the van) and SCART lead to the TV.

Link Removed

Then just a case of putting it all back together, tidying up the wires and testing that it all worked.

Link Removed.

I was planning on putting the awning light on this week as well, but Trigano just came back with a price for the parts - £65.97 + delivery and VAT !!! So that's been shelved for a while - I'll hunt around the caravan accessory shops as they are bound to have something simialr that will work out at less than £80 and to be honest, I'm not likely to be sitting out under the awning at night anythime in the next 4-5 months!

So, update on current list status:

Install DVD and plumb it to all TVs/monitors Cancelled, now front only
Install rear DVD and freeview DONE
Install cab TV/monitor
Install Sky box/dish
Rack out garage Pondeing how
Install 240v into garage DONE - now with RCD
Install 240v into rear of van DONE
Install and weld into place document safe new

Some progress, but a L-O-N-G way to go before it's finished (anyone know about racking out the garage in one of these things?) not least sort out the TV cabinet at the front, run the ariel cable from the back to the front, install the safe (today's new purchase) etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for Mandy & Andy for some of the advice they have given regarding bonding in strengthening beams into the garage etc. I'll keep you updated on the progress!

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the forum restricts me to a max of 6 images per post ....

Cheers for now,
John

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
A very informative read, i too would be scared of drilling and cutting up a new motorhome. :cry:
Thanks :) Drilling and cutting is kind of like diving off the high board - it's terrifying until you have done it for the first time, after that it's a walk in the park and you wonder what all the fuss is about .... ::bigsmile:

B

booboo

Deleted User
roller team 600

hi there ,as a new member i have just read the posts and it was great to read about other owners roller teams ,we purchased a brand new roller team 600 in december ,not a great time of year to buy i no with the weather and all its our first motorhome so we cant really compare it to anyother but hopeing its going to be great ,once i no what im doing anyway that is . My main gripe so far is fuel consumption as ive done 1200 miles in it due to a trip to essex to see friends at new year which was a 880mile round trip, at best its done 17.9mile to the gallon and 15.4 at worst ,i would love to hear other owners opinion on this or anyother advice for that matter as i say im very new to this and maybe this is normal.
Cheers everybody and thanks
KEITH

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
How have you worked your MPG out, using the OBC or by draining and filling the tank? I would not trust the OBC to be honest as they are often quite a way out. Even though we have owned ours a few months now it's still only done 400 miles, so I can't really compare, but our OBC gives readings of 22MPG+ which would seem very different to yours.

Other things to remember is taht as it's a diesel, MPG figurres will get better as the vehicle gets older - indeed, some engines only produce their best figures once they reach 60K + !!! Also remember that your driving what has all the aerodynamic efficiency of a mobile block of flats, it's never going to return car (or even small van) like figures. If your ever interested, there is a lot of conversation regarding diesel engines and economy etc. on the dervhead forum (Link Removed).

All the best and hope that you enjoy your RT, ours is shaping up to be a good vehicle once I finish sorting out all the tiny little niggles.

B

booboo

Deleted User
roller team

thanks alot jds for your responce to my post,i have to be honest i have been taking the mileage from the obc and take on board what u were saying about how inacurate the readings can be only time will tell mate.Have to say very impressed with the jobs u tackle on your motorhome mate!.Took me hours just to fit the telly plus put the fear o god into me drilling holes in it for the first time.Found where u put the extra lesuire battery very interesting because perthshire caravans where i bought the motorhome said there was no room for it under the passenger seat and they installed it under the front dinnette seat which spoils a bit of the storage there,it looks like you could teach them a thing or two mate!

CHEERS KEITH.

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
thanks alot jds for your responce to my post,i have to be honest i have been taking the mileage from the obc and take on board what u were saying about how inacurate the readings can be only time will tell mate.Have to say very impressed with the jobs u tackle on your motorhome mate!.Took me hours just to fit the telly plus put the fear o god into me drilling holes in it for the first time.Found where u put the extra lesuire battery very interesting because perthshire caravans where i bought the motorhome said there was no room for it under the passenger seat and they installed it under the front dinnette seat which spoils a bit of the storage there,it looks like you could teach them a thing or two mate!

CHEERS KEITH.
Thanks Keith. Some of it did involve taking a deep breath first but it's all mainly about having a positive mindset. the battery was a complete PITA to fit to be honest and it really does only just fit in there. We had to manufacture 4 new tails (needed to replace the originals due to the way we turned that orig battery 90 degrees), modify the battery covers on both batteries and manufacture a plate for the front to keep them in place (turning the batteries meant that the original securing clip was no longer useable). That siad, it just took a bit of thought and about an hour to do but it was worth it - storage (outside of the garage) is at a premium in this model van so anything eating into that should be avoided.

Currently too cold to be working on it at the moment, but I'm pondering how to fit the reversing camera and sensors.

It's actually amazing how straight forward most of these jobs are and once you have a go you suddenly realise what a rip-off the prices some of the dealers charge are (forinstance, our supplying dealer wanted nearly £600 to supply and fit the 4m awning and I did it all in for £350 !!) The other thing I found is that unlike car companies, if you ring the manufacturer directly and ask for their technical department they are very helpful (once you get hold of them) and a wealth of information (I now have the entire water, gas & electric wiring diagrams for the auto Roller range!) who knows, perhaps one day I'll take it as a change of profession ....

Best of luck with your endevours and the van :thumb:

B

booboo

Deleted User
rollerteam

once again thanks for your reply jds :thumb: i think ill be turning to yourself for many peices of advice in the future mate.if thats ok,thats whats great about a site like this i suppose mate,good luck with all your projects and now youve gave me the confidence i may tackle washing it soon, HAHA.

CHEERS KEITH.

parnham

Free Member
Mar 12, 2008
Funster No
hi there. Just bought myself a rollerteam 600g. great big garage, brilliant van. just took it to the south of france with 6 on board and it was no problem.:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
So, the list currently looks like this:

Install cab TV/monitor
Install Sky box/dish
Rack out garage
Install 240v into garage DONE

Monday came and went with no progress on the van, however, Tuesday evening saw me back at work on it agian. I decided that I was unhappy with the 240v power that I initially put in the garage - as I intend to run the jetwash etc. from it I decided to replace it with a built in RCD, much safer IMHO

Link Removed

At the same time I took the opportunity to run mains up to the rear for the TV and DVD (decided to put a seperate DVD into the rear TV setup as it was cheaper than cabling it from the front!), so added some trunking etc. and installed a double socket above. I had to remove the shelf to get the power, freeview cable (which WILL run to the reciever at the front of the van) and SCART lead to the TV.

Link Removed

Then just a case of putting it all back together, tidying up the wires and testing that it all worked.

Link Removed.

I was planning on putting the awning light on this week as well, but Trigano just came back with a price for the parts - £65.97 + delivery and VAT !!! So that's been shelved for a while - I'll hunt around the caravan accessory shops as they are bound to have something simialr that will work out at less than £80 and to be honest, I'm not likely to be sitting out under the awning at night anythime in the next 4-5 months!

So, update on current list status:

Install DVD and plumb it to all TVs/monitors Cancelled, now front only
Install rear DVD and freeview DONE
Install cab TV/monitor
Install Sky box/dish
Rack out garage Pondeing how
Install 240v into garage DONE - now with RCD
Install 240v into rear of van DONE
Install and weld into place document safe new

Some progress, but a L-O-N-G way to go before it's finished (anyone know about racking out the garage in one of these things?) not least sort out the TV cabinet at the front, run the ariel cable from the back to the front, install the safe (today's new purchase) etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for Mandy & Andy for some of the advice they have given regarding bonding in strengthening beams into the garage etc. I'll keep you updated on the progress!

Sorry for the multiple posts, but the forum restricts me to a max of 6 images per post ....

Cheers for now,
John

Hi and yes I got a Roller Team it is a 255p low profile on a 2.8fiat,Brilliant it is 2,Loads of extras fitted let you know about them again. John the extra double socket you added to the garage ,just to let you know you did not need them to be RCD protected as your main switch looks like an RCD from the pic and if it is 30ma all should be safe.

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
John the extra double socket you added to the garage ,just to let you know you did not need them to be RCD protected as your main switch looks like an RCD from the pic and if it is 30ma all should be safe.
Nope, it's a circuit breaker, not an RCD - two very different things (I think). Anyhow, it costs next to nothing to be safe.

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Nope, it's a circuit breaker, not an RCD - two very different things (I think). Anyhow, it costs next to nothing to be safe.

Yes they are 2 different things,an RCD trips out on earth fault,and an MCB trips on on short circuit or overload current,and still think its an RCD ,and not sure by the picture if it is wired correctly anyway,so mmm

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Yes they are 2 different things,an RCD trips out on earth fault,and an MCB trips on on short circuit or overload current,and still think its an RCD ,and not sure by the picture if it is wired correctly anyway,so mmm
Thankfully, I did my apprenticeship time so can 'wire a plug' .... I can't talk for the people who built the van but as most of the wiring is slapdash and leaves a lot to be desired it's worth doing it right. anyhow, it's my van so I don't really give a whatsit what other's opinions are - you (or they) don't have to use it. :winky:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Thankfully, I did my apprenticeship time so can 'wire a plug' .... I can't talk for the people who built the van but as most of the wiring is slapdash and leaves a lot to be desired it's worth doing it right. anyhow, it's my van so I don't really give a whatsit what other's opinions are - you (or they) don't have to use it. :winky:

Well if you dont want the comments dont show the pics.But i do agree some of the wiring is slapdash,thats all i was trying to do was to help,wiring a plug doesnt make you an electrical engineer ,

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Well if you dont want the comments dont show the pics.But i do agree some of the wiring is slapdash,thats all i was trying to do was to help,wiring a plug doesnt make you an electrical engineer ,
Certainly I appreciate the comments - even more when they are helpful and relevant. :thumb:

Alimax

Free Member
Mar 25, 2008
Funster No
I certainly appreciate the 'behind the scenes' photos JDS! They give me a bit more of an inkling as to how and where to run additional cables etc.

We've had our Rollerteam 600 since last October and apart from being met by a dead leisure battery last weekend on taking it out of storage we're very happy with it. Speaking of batteries, exactly how did you get the passenger seat out? I scoured your photos for clues but apart from the 12mm spanner on the floor I couldn't work out what bolts to remove. I can only get to the 'van' on weekends so I have to save up my chores.

So far the only major addition has been a CD/DVD/MP3/radio in the dash. Mine came without anything at all. Next task will be a reversing camera...

JDS

Free Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK & France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
.... exactly how did you get the passenger seat out? I scoured your photos for clues but apart from the 12mm spanner on the floor I couldn't work out what bolts to remove. I can only get to the 'van' on weekends so I have to save up my chores.

OK, there are four torx bolts that sit in or next to the seat runners (if I remember correctly - the van is in France and I'm in the UK at the moment!). Slide the seat all the way back and undo the front two, then move it forwards to release the rear two. The seat then just pulls off the seat-box (held by locating lugs). To save having to go through the pain of disconnecting the seatbelt assembly I just moved the seat to the drivers side (as shown in the photo) - this saved some time and gave plenty of space to work in.

Best of luck and good luck with fitting the camera :thumb:

W

WesleyJ

Deleted User
Another satisfied Rollerteam owner

[FONhttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/bigGrin.gif
::bigsmile:T="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]::bigsmile:
We are owners of an Autoroller 500 which we bought new in January, although we have only managed 3 short weekend trips so far but fine weather and light evenings are imminent, hopefully....

I feel that some motor homers expect their units to be a complete home from home and will always find something to complain about, despite spending £30k or above for their vehicles.

We have always accepted that to a certain extent you have to compromise a little in the sense that you will be cramped in whatever unit you own. The major plus is being able to just up and go where you want, within reason, and to pitch up and enjoy new surroundings and meet new people every day if you wish.

To this end, when we decided to change our motorhome recently we were shown, amongst many others, an Autoroller 500 which gives us all the facilities we need at a relatively low outlay (well under £30k). and we are delighted with our purchase.We have bags of power in the Ford 2.2TD engine, more than enough storage space plus all the usual facilities that you would expect in a modern motorhome.

As with anything new, it was not perfect and we had to pay extra for a radio to be fitted and also for a TV aerial but the budget was still well under what we had expected to pay for a brand new unit.

We are looking forward to many trips in the forthcoming weeks,months and years in our 500. We would also welcome any comments, tips and hints from other Autoroller owners , of which I am sure there will be many in due course, maybe enough to form a Rollerteam owners club, perhaps...

S

stagman

Deleted User
[FONhttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/bigGrin.gif
::bigsmile:T="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]::bigsmile:
We are owners of an Autoroller 500 which we bought new in January, although we have only managed 3 short weekend trips so far but fine weather and light evenings are imminent, hopefully....

I feel that some motor homers expect their units to be a complete home from home and will always find something to complain about, despite spending £30k or above for their vehicles.

We have always accepted that to a certain extent you have to compromise a little in the sense that you will be cramped in whatever unit you own. The major plus is being able to just up and go where you want, within reason, and to pitch up and enjoy new surroundings and meet new people every day if you wish.

To this end, when we decided to change our motorhome recently we were shown, amongst many others, an Autoroller 500 which gives us all the facilities we need at a relatively low outlay (well under £30k). and we are delighted with our purchase.We have bags of power in the Ford 2.2TD engine, more than enough storage space plus all the usual facilities that you would expect in a modern motorhome.

As with anything new, it was not perfect and we had to pay extra for a radio to be fitted and also for a TV aerial but the budget was still well under what we had expected to pay for a brand new unit.

We are looking forward to many trips in the forthcoming weeks,months and years in our 500. We would also welcome any comments, tips and hints from other Autoroller owners , of which I am sure there will be many in due course, maybe enough to form a Rollerteam owners club, perhaps...

I have a Roller 255p granduca,brilliant i thought and it is .I still think,but perfect no.I have added and modified several things.But it was a lot cheaper than a Hymer which I looked at ,a lot newer and less miles,also the Hymer was very drab inside.With this in mind I have customised my RollerTeam to nearly the best motorhome available at this price.I continue to customise large Heki skylight next and perhaps new interior lights.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back