Hellooo from Kent.... Am told you're a nice bunch... ;) (1 Viewer)

CaptSuperFunGuy

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Noob.. But learning fast...
... A nice bunch of what, I shan't say... :p

Motorhomers, obviously.. :)

Anyway, after various (smaller) campers in the past, I seem to have gone 'all in' with a 27' N&B... There's often just myself, the other half and my elderly Dogue de Bordeaux.. Occasionally though I have the honour of being able to take my 4yo son, and very rarely, my other half's 16yo boy may hide his embarrassment & disdain, and come along also...
Am generally a 'wild camper' by nature, preferring 360 degree countryside to playing sardines with other campers..
Having said that, am happy to plot up somewhere with the right atmosphere and facilities when I come across them, water slides for the kids, Jacuzzis for my old bones..
Any recommendations welcome, both near and far..
Also, I do have a plethora of questions for my more experienced new friends.... Am not sure if here is the right place to ask, or if covered to death elsewhere before, but any advice or points in right direction much welcomed... ;)
1. My 4t '98 Ducato Maxi 2.5d (non turbo) is economical, but terrible uphill.. Is there anyone who can upgrade me to maybe 2.8jtd?
2. Am looking to install air-suspension on my 3 axles, anyone recommend a good system, preferably with some auto-levelling?
3. My front d/s window has condensation, I read the double glazing unit might have 'plugs' to remove & dry void out, where do I find them, how do I remove window?
4. Recommended service & large vehicle mechanics in Kent?
5. Am also contemplating a vinyl wrap, any do's/don'ts, and would the CC welcome a 27' leopard? :eek:

Many thanks in advance, am looking forwards to many happy holidays, and friendships also... Have just returned from South of France, was horrified to get charged €93.80 for 2 or 3 hours on A16 South, apparently I am a 'classe 4'.. Eeek.. ( ~ hence my need for more uphill power while avoiding motorways...)
Also €40 each way to cross bridge to
Ille de Ré... :/ ~
6. would more power mean I could have my GTW re-calculated? (as currently too underpowered to tow a Fiat 500 etc..)

Thanks again, 16' scorpion alloys already on order.. Still looking for a lpg Genny..

Best regards, Steve & family... :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
:HelloThere: Have no idea, but others will be along to answer your queries.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Steve and family and a big :welcome3:.
Does look as if you could do with a little more grunt,not you the van!!
I had a 2.5 non turbo on a Hobby years ago and it was OK on the flat but woefully underpowered on even the slightest hill and I suspect was carrying a lot less weight than yours.
Plus the extra axle of course.
Is it worth investigating fitting a turbo and maybe free flowing exhaust if you can't fit the bigger engine?
I did change the exhaust and air filter on my old 1.9td Chausson and ended up with a lot more go and better mpg.Just a thought.
French tolls emm,highway robbery.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Hellooo from Kent.... Am told you're a nice bunch... ;)

They lied. It's just a ploy to get you to pay £15.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi from another N+B owner although ours is 2006 Flair with IVECO 3litre turbo and goes very well.

Your front windows with condensation will be the glass units and so will not have any plugs.

You can remove the whole frame from the van quite easily and then you can carefully take the glass unit apart and have it all reassembled with new glazing bars. If you are unlucky and break the glass you can get it remade for £100 but not every double glaze place will do it, or you could shell out upwards of £3k for new units from the factory.

There is a write up of replacing ours on here somewhere but it would take a search to find it.

Martin

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

OP
OP
CaptSuperFunGuy

CaptSuperFunGuy

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hey, thanks, see, I knew I was right.. You're all friendly & helpful, sometimes both! I shall try to get used to the 'funster' moniker..
In avoiding the French péage, we do get so many more hills, and the dreaded roundabouts... Trying to battle the laws of physics and centripetal force whilst simultaneously conserving momentum... Hmm.. Fridge door flying open, contents everywhere, repeat...
I am needing a new exhaust anyway BladEagle, but I don't imagine there's any 'sport power' offerings... ;) All information/links welcome tho...

OP
OP
CaptSuperFunGuy

CaptSuperFunGuy

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
*BaldEagle not sure why spellcheck changed it, or how to edit a previous post yet...

OP
OP
CaptSuperFunGuy

CaptSuperFunGuy

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Funflair, thanks also... I had a £2800 quote from N&B, and £150 from a local glaziers..
Obviously drilling a couple of small holes in the seals & blowing hair dryer through before silicone sealant would be even cheaper as a semi temporary fix... :)
Am loving the layout & space in mine, but regretting being underpowered.. Budgets, eh? ;) Do you have a higher Gross Train Weight then? Mine currently 5.2t, but I think Van would have to be empty to pull car & trailer legally.. Am going to pop to a local weighbridge soon & get an accurate idea of semi-laden weight with half empty tanks.. :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Captain, welcome to the fun (y)

If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out Broken Link Removed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Funflair, thanks also... I had a £2800 quote from N&B, and £150 from a local glaziers..
Obviously drilling a couple of small holes in the seals & blowing hair dryer through before silicone sealant would be even cheaper as a semi temporary fix... :)
Am loving the layout & space in mine, but regretting being underpowered.. Budgets, eh? ;) Do you have a higher Gross Train Weight then? Mine currently 5.2t, but I think Van would have to be empty to pull car & trailer legally.. Am going to pop to a local weighbridge soon & get an accurate idea of semi-laden weight with half empty tanks.. :)
Hi @CaptSuperFunGuy (good name BTW)

Your Flair might be a bit underpowered but it will be well built for sure so will just keep on going. Yes tolls are a bit steep on the tag/tandem axle versions, ours is bad enough at class 3 but I don't really want to spend all my time on motorways anyway.

We are 6T gross and 9T GTW although I have taken the tow bar off because it looked s--t and the only time it would be used would be for being towed out of fields and being RWD we will never get stuck;) (thats what @Popeye told me anyway).

Your quote of £2800 from N+B must be from the factory I guess as Travelworld would be even more, if you get them done at a double glazing place the total unit thickness will be 12mm but UK toughening plants don't like 3mm glass which the original panels use mated to 6mm spacer bars, so you will need 4mm glass 4mm spacer bars.

Martin

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Welcome to MHF. Can't help with most of your questions but can recommend a garage in Kent where you can get your MH serviced. We've been using Thomsett of Kent at Stockbury, off the A249 for several years now and always found them to be helpful. The owner is a motorhomer himself.

Denise

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A few funsters have e&p self leveling.
I got it with rear air ride.
Fitted by S&P in Doncaster, a chap called mick.
@Red Sonja recommended a garage in Kent where I had a new fifth gear fitted.
They were excellent. She may remember their name.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Welcome to the Fun House, known to paying members as the nut house. If you are RWD as per @funflair 's post then you will not need towing off a muddy field according to @swanseajack13 you are officially a spawny-git as are all RWD owners, however there are quite a few FWD members who also manage the same conditions well like @Geo and @JockandRita as they know how to drive.

Allow me to introduce you to the team................

There is MoMo and Kym and a Lyn and a Tim
Twelve Johns’ two Pips and a Tom,
There’s Lesley and Chris and a handful of Griffs,
An old Mo, two Joys and a Ron.

We’ve got three or four Smithies, one soggy, one ShiftZZ,
Two Geos’ three Karls and a Ray,
I checked with the list and unless I am pissed
we’ve even got two tame JJ’s. (Jersy Jo)

We’ve got a Minx and a Sedge, a Debs and a Reg,
Two Carols and a Frankie as well,
There’s Scotty and Sam and Jake and Siobhan
Lets not forget Ash or Mell.

I forgot about Lynn, Brisey, Scot-Jim
and Sian and Katy too,
Amanda and Phil and lets not forget Bill
Roger, Peter three Pams, more still.

We’ve got 5th wheelers with Trucks Sack loads of Ducks,
Irnbru and now even a Cally
A scouser, a Jock and a Taffy who knocks
our Nigel whose just trying to be Pallie

We’ve got Ivy and Ken, Pat and Big Ben,
Brian, Julian, Grenville and Terry
Rick, Dick and big Mick, overlooked Nick
And very nearly Graham and Gerry

I’ve found seven Robs and four Eddies
A donkey called Neddy, two Trishs’, a Pauline and June
One Rangi, five Pauls and a Big Jim who calls
Bacon Sarnies will be served up soon.

There’s our quizzer Craig, loads of Daves
Geri, Trish, Michelle and Betty
Bertie and Toots just polished their boots
And now Paul’s done a run he’s all sweaty.

I’m getting phone calls galore
Funsters want to read more
And others who don’t give a damn
So just for you Terry using Isle of Wight Ferry
I’m adding your lovely wife Ann.

I could go on all night but you’d all get uptight
And ban me under Rule ONE
Well for you I’ve got news,
You can gather your views and stick ‘em right up your

(stuck for a Rhyme here, need Funster Help)

OP
OP
CaptSuperFunGuy

CaptSuperFunGuy

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hello back at y'all.... :)

Am fairly confident I'm fwd, I do try to keep them on the firm.. Was contemplating a winch on the rear in case I get stuck, thought it might always lower a trailer to the water also, or pull a boat onto a trailer & up too..
But am sure there's not enough room for all my ideas, either in my van or wallet..
The levelling looks good, was worried about sturdy rams taking up my vino weight allowance, but life is always a compromise..
I shall call them in the morning for quotes..
Beauty sleep until then methinks, so Nighty night funsters.... :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't have a clue what your talking about but the water slide sounds good. Welcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back