Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
Very pleased to join the club!

After many years of searching, testing, reading and preparing we visited the Camping, Caraven & Motorhome Show at the NEC last weekend and FINALLY put a deposit down on a Globecar Globescout R!

So exciting... except that we can't take delivery until NOVEMBER!! It's going to be a long summer. And autumn. And early winter! But hey, the wait will be worth it.

At least in the meantime we've got a VW campervan to tide us over but we are so looking forward to be able to stand up without banging heads, not having to make up / put away the bed and of course, having an on-board washroom! Not to mention more space, more storage, more facilities etc.

Pictures and more to follow (eventually) but just wanted to say hi before months of brain-picking and general questioning ensue.

Glad to be part of the community.

Andy & Annie

OP
OP
AndyB57

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry - just realised I've posted this in the wrong section! Should have been in the "Introduce" bit.

Not a good start !

Andy

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Congratulations.

I think a lot of us romantacise about having a little VW camper as we drive along the road and see a nice one giong in the opposite direction, or see them turn up at an aire or camper and we have little bit of of envy, until you see the head banging, storage etc.

Good luck with your new van, that is the longest wait i have seen in a while !

Enjoy your long hot summer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands (Sedgley to be exact!).

Wyn

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
As one who has also made the "upgrade" from a VW camper to a similar MH to your Globecar, I can tell you that you will not regret it.
Having been used to the easy parking of the VW I did wonder if the extra space would be worth the hassle of the extra size but I can say it's no problem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyB57

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
Wow! So many replies so soon - thank you all for the welcome!

Suavecarve- it IS a romantic notion to have a VW (ours is an 05 plate T5) and to use as a "tin tent" for camping in good weather it's brilliant. But on a cold, dark autumn evening when you've got to go outside just to turn round it's not so much fun. And we aim to be 4 season travellers so something just that bit bigger that can still go anywhere (and, more importantly, fit on the drive) is needed - hence the Globecar.

Hilldweller - ancient perhaps but not a "C" programmer. I know where you're coming from though!

Wyn - We're a bit further down in the south midlands, Warwickshire in fact.

Andy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyB57

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
View attachment 150037
As one who has also made the "upgrade" from a VW camper to a similar MH to your Globecar, I can tell you that you will not regret it.
Having been used to the easy parking of the VW I did wonder if the extra space would be worth the hassle of the extra size but I can say it's no problem.

Hi Riverbankannie (love these names!) that's good to know. Thanks for your reply - we cannot wait to get ours!

Andy

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wow! So many replies so soon - thank you all for the welcome!

Suavecarve- it IS a romantic notion to have a VW (ours is an 05 plate T5) and to use as a "tin tent" for camping in good weather it's brilliant. But on a cold, dark autumn evening when you've got to go outside just to turn round it's not so much fun. And we aim to be 4 season travellers so something just that bit bigger that can still go anywhere (and, more importantly, fit on the drive) is needed - hence the Globecar.

Hilldweller - ancient perhaps but not a "C" programmer. I know where you're coming from though!

Wyn - We're a bit further down in the south midlands, Warwickshire in fact.

Andy
Yes, the drive! We had to widen the entrance and take down 2 trees. Worth it to keep the new one at home though.
Quick replies as trying to find some vicarious escape by reading about others adventures, when various problems are keeping us at home :cry:

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's

After many years of searching, testing, reading and preparing we visited the Camping, Caraven & Motorhome Show at the NEC last weekend and FINALLY put a deposit down on a Globecar Globescout R!

So exciting... except that we can't take delivery until NOVEMBER!! It's going to be a long summer. And autumn. And early winter! But hey, the wait will be worth it.

At least in the meantime we've got a VW campervan to tide us over but we are so looking forward to be able to stand up without banging heads, not having to make up / put away the bed and of course, having an on-board washroom! Not to mention more space, more storage, more facilities etc.

Pictures and more to follow (eventually) but just wanted to say hi before months of brain-picking and general questioning ensue.

Andy & Annie

Hi and welcome.

After about 33 years of VW's (T2, T3 & T4) I also went for something bigger and bought a Carthago Malibu last year for exactly the same reasons, and we love it. We had a few trips in it last year, ending with a month in Europe (if we had been in the VW we probably would have needed a holiday afterwards :) ). I loved the ability of the VW to go anywhere or park anywhere a car could, but having said that, we haven't had too many problems so far with the bigger size.

We had a 6 month wait from ordering to delivery, so we know how you feel. The time will soon pass and it will be with you before you know it

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyB57

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
Hi and welcome.

After about 33 years of VW's (T2, T3 & T4) I also went for something bigger and bought a Carthago Malibu last year for exactly the same reasons, and we love it. We had a few trips in it last year, ending with a month in Europe (if we had been in the VW we probably would have needed a holiday afterwards :) ). I loved the ability of the VW to go anywhere or park anywhere a car could, but having said that, we haven't had too many problems so far with the bigger size.

We had a 6 month wait from ordering to delivery, so we know how you feel. The time will soon pass and it will be with you before you know it

Cheers

Trevor
Thanks for the reply Trevor (and all)

It's precisely because we want to do some longer trips that we're upgrading from the VW so it's good to know that you've done just that and it's working for you. November seems even further away now!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyB57

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you all SO much for your warm welcomes and messages. I'd heard from a fellow motorhoming friend that this was a great and friendly club and your responses certainly prove that so far.

I hope we can give a lot to fellow members in the future as well as learn from your vast experiences and collective wisdom.

Andy & Annie

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

Andy & Annie

Welcome from t'other side of the country and that's a lovely van you've ordered. It will be worth the wait (y)

The 9 month wait does seem a bit long, is that the build time that you were given, or is it your circumstances. You could make a whole new human in that time :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyB57

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
Welcome from t'other side of the country and that's a lovely van you've ordered. It will be worth the wait (y)

The 9 month wait does seem a bit long, is that the build time that you were given, or is it your circumstances. You could make a whole new human in that time :D

Thanks Kingham - we think she's going to be lovely too.

The November delivery date is because the 2017 build quota is already full so the next available build slot is October. Now in fairness SMC (who we ordered from as our nearest, and well recommended, dealer) said that they had some vans due to arrive around June / July but we wanted a specific van and specification which requires a custom build.

Interestingly, I only said to my wife the other day that it was like waiting for a pregnancy to run its course - but with a much better outcome at the end!!

I know it's a long time to wait but it will DEFINITELY be worth the wait.

Andy

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When I retired we "downsized" our motorhome. It was the worst decision of our m/h life.

After 18 months we gave up and "upsized" again. We lost money but thought it worth it for the extra space.

Good luck for November!(y)

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
/wekc ... oh dear... that's welcome when your fingers are on the wrong keys ... doh.

Welcome and look forward to your posts when you join us. You will find so many people wanting to help you enjoy your new life. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AndyB57

AndyB57

Free Member
Dec 11, 2016
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Consort Kite PVC
Exp
Since 2016
/wekc ... oh dear... that's welcome when your fingers are on the wrong keys ... doh.

Welcome and look forward to your posts when you join us. You will find so many people wanting to help you enjoy your new life. :)
Thanks Movan - my typing skills rival yours, particularly after a few glasses of the red stuff! Come to think of it, since my most used key is the backspace I don't think wine has anything to do with it!
Anyway, I've been hugely impressed with all the responses from everyone so far and certainly feel part of the club now.
What a friendly bunch you all are!

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Movan - my typing skills rival yours, particularly after a few glasses of the red stuff! Come to think of it, since my most used key is the backspace I don't think wine has anything to do with it!
Anyway, I've been hugely impressed with all the responses from everyone so far and certainly feel part of the club now.
What a friendly bunch you all are!

Of course, not to mention gorgeous, intelligent, wise; oh, the list is endless... We are amazing .. and ever so modest... ;)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back