Hello, we are contemplating fulltiming. (1 Viewer)

Sweetp

Free Member
Sep 27, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Don`t own one yet
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi everyone my name is Pauline and my husband is Tim.
We are in the early stages of contemplating selling up and buying an RV to travel full time through Britain and Europe.
Any advice from people already doing it would be welcome. We are both in our 40s. Thanks.
Regards
Pauline and Tim
::bigsmile:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Cant help you but thought id say hi and welcome. You will get a few along later with loads od advice and tips as many here have or are still doing it fulltime

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Pauline and Tim

Welcome to MH Fun:welcomefunster:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun. :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Welcome!
We're new to this as well, will hopefully get the mh back after repairs before too long:Cool: maybe then we'll get back out on the road again:thumb:

OP
OP
Sweetp

Sweetp

Free Member
Sep 27, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Don`t own one yet
Exp
I`m a newbie
Hi
Have you got any tips etc don`t know where to start really
Pauline

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Pauline and Tim, there are many people who have sold up and now live full time. and lots of those people frequent these forums. so there is a lot of knowledge here..

My tip...::bigsmile:
When you ask specific questions as opposed to general tips you will get a lot of good relevant answers. Questions like what is the best motorhome to live in Spain or Where can I get fulltimers insurance etc. will get you good information. Pop into the Fulltimers section and ask away.

Another tip, unless you are loaded ,you should try it for 6 or 12 months first. Some people are in a trap whereby they cannot get a motorhome until they sell the house, this can be dangerous, whatever you do, don't sell up and buy a brand-new motorhome. If you decide you don't like this alternative lifestyle in the first year or two you will take a massive hit when you sell it. Try renting out your house so you are not burning your bridges, but If you must sell your home; bank most of the money and buy a really old, cheap motorhome that you will get most of your money back on if you decide to go back to bricks and mortar. Good old motorhomes don't lose much money and you will almost always get back what you paid less a little:thumb: This tester will let you know whether the lifestyle is for you. You will meet lots of others doing the same and along the way you'll discover exactly what motorhome you need.

Best of luck:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Hi Sweetp!
I assume you're looking for tips on motorhoming and not marriage, I noticed your newly married, congratulations!:thumb:
We're married 33 years now, so know more about that than life with the mh!!:roflmto:
I've got family in and around Hampshire, so hopefully we will be travelling down in February next year to visit them, hopefully will find a site on Hayling Island or close by.
Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi you two and welcome to Fun...

My tip would be...

Just do it... :winky:

(but then I am often doing things before I think myself out of them...)

I lived in an old, cheap van very happily for years... now I live in an different old, cheap van and am living in it even more happily than before... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

JJ :Cool:

toledo

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Life Member
hi

:thumb: hi and walcome to the fun :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Only been fulltiming for 2 and a half years so not as experienced as JJ.

There comes a point where too much planning and thinking about it will prevent you from doing it. Too little planning will mean problems. Getting the balance right is hard.

Personally I wouldn't fulltime in an RV if I wanted to travel a lot as you do need to plan ahead when you have a larger vehicle.

For me the important things you would need to think about when fulltiming are;
1) Vehicle layout - very very very important. Get the wrong one and it can make things unbearable.
2) Finances.
3) Emergency plan.

Vehicle layout is important. My first van didn't have a lounge seat, you know one where I could lay back put my feet up and relax. I didn't think this was important as before fulltiming I didn't spend much time in the van. the first winter was a pain. There are lots of little things you need to consider when fulltiming that aren't an issue if you just go away for a week or two.

Finances are a delicate subject. You either need a steady income either from investments or a job you can do on the road. Or you need a large chunk of change if you intend to do this for any length of time.

Emergency plans are important also. If one of you falls ill, the vehicle catches fire or has an accident what will you do?

These are the three biggies in my opinion, everything else is details that can be worked out once you are on the road :winky:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
You will find a lot of your questions already answered on this site http://www.motorhome365.com/forum/
it is a sister site to this one and those contributing are current, past or contemplating full timers.

Joan and I have been full timing since Feb 2010 but I have lived full time in caravans on and off since 1974.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We fulltimed for three years ..

I agree 100% with Gromett

1) Vehicle layout - very very very important. Get the wrong one and it can make things unbearable.
2) Finances.
3) Emergency plan.

we got the finances wrong , we anticipated working while travelling and I'm afraid there was a big deficit .. this has a drip drip effect on any capital .. we also underestimated the costs, nor did we have an exit strategy .. it took us two years to get back on our feet and it was a big struggle..

Don't try to wing it .... have a good financial and exit plan.. then go for it

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We recently sold our house, and our new one fell through after some developer outbid us last minute. Messed up our timings, so we were forced into it really.

Initially, a motorhome was not a worry - we hire them out, some had them there. But that doesn't mean that we wanted to loose the income for too long, so we ended up buying a caravan, of all things - purely as a stop gap.

Few things we noticed very quickly. Space - you need a spacious vehicle, so keep that in mind. What may be spacious for holidays, won't be for living in. Bathroom size has never bothered me, even the most modest is perfectly fine...until you live in it...then it does your head in! Try and find a large bathroom with full shower.

As Jim rightly pointed out - wise words in renting the house out for a trial period are best heeded! If you are paid up on the ol' mortgage, then you have little to loose, as the rent will pay for your vehicle payments, whilst your retirement capital will stay safe in bricks and mortar.....you will also have an escape route! The house will go up in value far more than any interest you pay on a loan, so look into that side of things too! Many do not like finance, (i like to pay up front myself!) but you can use it wisely, and benefit if you research costings first.

Work out sites that will accept you - many do not like full-timers, due to misunderstanding the difference between f/t's and traveller types, or just because they adhere tightly to the planning laws/club rules.

Try and stick with CL's - they need your money through the winter months more than the commercial sites, and will often be cheaper. If you travel around an area, keep a few 'next stops' lined up. Once you have 'done the circuit' you can usually rotate around a few diffferent sites, and owners will be quite happy to see you again.

Lots of things to consider!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another few thoughts ..

What is your motive ... why are you contemplating ?

Initially it will feel like a holiday, but after a couple of years of touring around Europe the novelty will wear off... 'been there done that' will set in .. then what ?

If you only plan to do for a fixed period, say two or three years that's fine .. but long term?

'Life is life' whether in a van or a house... you will still have all the same issues to handle, travelling has it's downsides, no real social structure, always moving on.. rootless .. at least that's how we found it.. it's not a long holiday.. it's an alternative lifestyle.. being a traveller can have just as many problems if not more than living in a house.. it's not an escape, if you think that then you will be very disappointed ..

I liken it to someone who loves chocolate and decides to get a job in Cadbury's factory.. within a few weeks they are sick of chocolate... motorhome travel is superb, it can't be beaten ... but living fulltime in one is not so great ..

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Pauline and welcome to the Fun. :welcome:

I've been fulltiming for only 5 months but quickly settled into the lifestyle and enjoy it. :Smile:

I don't have an RV but a largish German motorhome, which has everything I need in a reasonable-sized vehicle. As others have said, getting the layout that works for you is very important. I did a lot of research before buying The Beastie - and have yet to find a better van for me. Buying a used van makes sense as they depreciate rapidly for the first few years then hardly at all.

Insurance can be an issue if you're fulltiming - only Comfort seem to do genuine fulltime insurance (see the other thread running for more info).

Good luck and enjoy! :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Work out sites that will accept you - many do not like full-timers, due to misunderstanding the difference between f/t's and traveller types, or just because they adhere tightly to the planning laws/club rules.

I never tell them I am a full timer. It's none of their business for a start :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
motorhome travel is superb, it can't be beaten ... but living fulltime in one is not so great ..

In your opinion:reel:......

I still love fulltiming and haven't got round to doing what I want to do while fulltiming yet. Still have years in me :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In your opinion:reel:......

yes, of course it's my opinion, formed from my experience.

also, much depends of personal circumstances.

As a lone traveller I could live quite happily in a panel van conversion on not too much money .... only myself to worry about... a totally different set of circumstances and different ball game raising a family ... or indeed with a partner..

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We came on this site a good while back to get info on fulltiming. the info we recieved, made us realise that the reality was not quite what we anticipated.

Dont get me wrong, it is still a dream, but we are happily motorhoming while we consider it. we have, to be honest, probably dropped the idea of going "fulltime2 because for US, it would probably not work, so we have decided to do a "grand tour" instead, probably a couple of years.
The reality side of things, such as "how do you tax your vehicle"...."can i insure my motor without a UK address" "can i get medical care without it costing me a fortune" "will i be taxed on the revenue from selling my home" "will i still be able to get a loan if my MH suffers a major breakdown"....can all be answered on this site, but other things, as has been said....are too personal to advise on. Only you know whether you can live 24/7 wiht your partner in a confined space, only YOU , REALLY know whether you share the same outlook.

My advice, keep thinking, keep dreaming, then when it becomes an all pervading thought......do it!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just some thoughts, not that I have been full timing:

How do you manage your NI and Tax issues?
Thats assuming that you intend working?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Another few thoughts ..
What is your motive ... why are you contemplating ?
Initially it will feel like a holiday, but after a couple of years of touring around Europe the novelty will wear off... 'been there done that' will set in .. then what ?
If you only plan to do for a fixed period, say two or three years that's fine .. but long term?
'Life is life' whether in a van or a house... you will still have all the same issues to handle, travelling has it's downsides, no real social structure, always moving on.. rootless .. at least that's how we found it.. it's not a long holiday.. it's an alternative lifestyle.. being a traveller can have just as many problems if not more than living in a house.. it's not an escape, if you think that then you will be very disappointed ..
I liken it to someone who loves chocolate and decides to get a job in Cadbury's factory.. within a few weeks they are sick of chocolate... motorhome travel is superb, it can't be beaten ... but living fulltime in one is not so great ..
[FONT=&quot]What you say Jim makes a lot of sense. Living in a house with your family and friends around has many benefits. The pleasure of life on the move relying on camp sites rules could soon wear thin. :Sad:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you think you have the bug then as already said, rent out your home and give it a try for a year or two. Only in your forties, you will have plenty of time to do it.:Cool:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I love the security of living in my home and I love motor homing. Why give one of them up. Make’s no sense. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many will give you positive feedback but are they really as happy as they say they are[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Some don’t have the option of returning to bricks and mortar:Eeek:[/FONT]

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You have had some great advice in this thread. My advice, take notice of it all... but do it anyway. Years spent wondering 'what might have been' is, IMO, far worse than anything else that might befall you while full timing. Good luck:thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We have been fulltiming for over 3 1/2 years now and we do not regret a moment of it. As said there has been some good advice on here

Many will say it can be done on a shoe string but as those doing it will confirm to live a reasonable life style without sleeping in laybys and Industrial estates you do need to allocate in the region od £18k per year for two of you - you need to allocate from that about £10 per night for a pitch with EHU this price is creeping up and you may find its now heading to £12 per night. There are cheaper ones about generally no EHU so you will have to add cost of and petrol for a generator - yes you can use Solar - will it provide enough and will it do it when covered in snow or dull overcast and raining ?? They are also generally out of the way places . Unless you plan on sitting indoors all day every day you will need fuel to get about. A site within walking distance of a town at £12 per night is more economic than a £7 with no EHU and a 10 mile drive each way.

You need a postcode to stay legal - could be yours - a friend - relation etc but you will need this for V5 - passport - insurance - driving license - dentist - doctor etc etc.

If you have Bricks and Mortar our advise is if at all possible keep them - they still are the best long term investment - I have yet to find any form of investment that will give any better return.

Dont just take the cheapest insurance offered look carefully and make sure you comply with them and they comply with your needs - its a bit late to review this when you make a claim and the insurance company decline the claim !!:Eeek:

Size of unit - make sure it suits you - you will need space - nothing worse than tripping over each other. As said if in doubt try it first with a cheap unit.

Don't let anyone put you off - if you don't try it you will never know if you like it . All I would say is Plan carefully - make sure that you comply with the spirit of the law even if you stroke it a little.

Make sure you have a good exit strategy if it is needed.

It is an alternative life style - not a cheap way of living nor a long holiday - many of the same problems of conventional living just different bills - different views and different neighbours

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi
Have you got any tips etc don`t know where to start really
Pauline
if you are in to RV
contact Duncan & Chris at www.starpangledspanner.co.uk

they have lived full time in an RV lot of knowlage will check out any posible buy you may see

we got out RV in 2009 duncan has put right all the faults on ours very friendly

do you want one with slid outs or not?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would recommend going for it, if only for a trial run as Jim suggested earlier. If you don't, you will always wonder what it would have been like.

Look at it this way - if you rent the house for a year, run a motorhome/rv for a year and it doesn't work out for you - you won't lose much if any money on the motorhome/rv if you decide to sell and get another smaller one for holidays only.

If it does, then you would have opened up a new avenue in your life, and will find you will save quite a bit - especially if the housing market is going to go the way it is predicted. But do keep and rent out the house - it gives you an address, and also an income as well of course the security when you decide you have had enough.

As for the social side - I have discovered in our short time thus far, that you will find a whole new social circle! It will not be an open welcome, as fulltimers who tend to keep their lifestyle on the quiet for fear of being labelled travellers, will treat you with caution whilst they suss out if you are a holiday maker, or a fulltimer. Once they have, then you are friends for life!

We have met many people who initially are just 'staying local' for a few weeks, and then disappear. As you get to talk to them, you realise that they are actually fulltimers! It is a game of caution to begin with, but have been very surprised in how many people are turning to full timing - especially this time of year, you will notice that half the vehicles on CL's are actually full time.

Give it a whirl - even rent one for a month, and then you will appreciate the RV's space much more!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do,

Than the ones you did."

Mark Twain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back