Hello to all .....we are very new to motor homes (1 Viewer)

Giles

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Surrey/Wimborne/Guernsey/Melbourne
Funster No
MH
autoTrailapache1990merc
Exp
Newie
HELLO TO ALL
NY NAME IS GILES AND MY BETTER HALF IS CALLED KERRY WE ARE A AUSSIE COUPLE ...WE HAVE JUST PURCHASED (yesterday) a AUTO TRAIL APACHE 1990 Mercedes 208 diesel motor .....
This was on eBay .....and will hopefully pick the van up ASAP within the next few days ....we have never had a motor home before and would really appreciate some help and advice ..we are hoping to travel around Europe this summer ...but need to get a few things fixed first such as ...a new hot water tank is needed...plus the heater needs to be fixed ...plus the rear reversing camera cap needs to be replaced..plus we need some general advice on everything basically ....oh not forgetting to try a purchase an awning for it too....
We are going to be based in Surrey for the next week or so ,then Wimborne ..Dorset after that ...then Manchester to see family hopefully and the Guernsey to see more family ...and then we go traveling to Europe in our van ...if anyone has the time to advise us and maybe point us in the right direction re parts info etc ...that would be great ......
Regards to all
Giles and Kerry

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
Hello and welcome. I hope you havent paid for the MH before collecting it if you are buying private. Lots of ebay scams around.

OP
OP
G

Giles

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Funster No
MH
autoTrailapache1990merc
Exp
Newie
Yes .....we are in India at present .....and have paid £500 deposit for it .......
Haven't seen the van as yet ...but are talking to him via email ....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
So you dont know if its got any damp in it if you havent saw it yet. The good thing is you have only left a deposit. Please dont pay anymore until you have saw the MH and its condition.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Welcome to Fun, pleased you have only paid a deposit, don't pay anymore until you inspect it and are happy there are so many scams with people offering Motorhomes that don't exist, but to be honest I would think you will be all right with a 1990 as the scammers usually put newer ones at a bargain price, so hopefully all will be good, so check for damp as has been mentioned as this will affect your resale price.
Use the forum as much as you can all sorts of knowledge for traveling in the UK and Europe. It is well worth the £15 annual cost, you can post as often as you like ask as much as you want and the answer is usually there very quickly. Good Luck on your adventure. :pink:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi from Poole. I hope that every thing is ok with your new purchase and you enjoy your travels.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We are daft ....sticking a deposit down before seeing it .....we will just have to keep our fingers and toes crossed that all is good .......
Welcome to Fun :)

Don't want to put a dampener on anything. Getting a motorhome is very exciting and well worth the investment, but be cautious. I lost £5000 on an eBay motorhome scam and never saw a penny back, plus who knows what your getting. I had full email contact, even asked for ID and got a picture of a passport, which turned out to be stolen, so the scammers are out there. No one on Fun would want you to lose any money at all. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Good luck and hope it pans out for you.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:hiya2: ......you two don't do things by halves do you :D

Hope all goes well with the purchase & your trip.
Deb
X

OP
OP
G

Giles

Free Member
Mar 23, 2016
Funster No
MH
autoTrailapache1990merc
Exp
Newie
Thanks to all for you concerns .....lets just hope that all gies to plan ......i have been talking to the owner of the MH ..I think he is genuine ...."big map"... Maybe I'll send you a message when down in Wimborne and we could meet up ????
That would be nice ....
Cheers

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
You have a lot of plans and ideas so join as a fully paid up Funster and find the 'Search' button. Lots of information on all sorts of subjects.

:welcomesign:Pamela and Derek in Norfolk

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Sounds to me like a genuine sale as you already know of some of the things that need fixing...those old Merc engines are built to last too!

Hope you have a fantastic time ...if you want to find out how others have got on doing something similar have a search for blogs...there are loads of them around.

Jun 4, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest SE
Exp
Very little - 6 months
Hi there and how exciting for you! I remember when we bought ours last year - we were so excited.

Can I suggest that you absolutely MUST get a habitation check done on it. If you see my post that I have made today, you'll see why. We didn't - and a year later we are paying very heavily for it. Please do ensure you get it thoroughly checked over, it will be worth every single penny, I promise! You do NOT want to be in our position in a year's time!!! Good luck with everything - its honestly the best decision we've ever made to buy a motorhome. They are so much fun!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back