Hello there! (New motorhome addict) (1 Viewer)

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I for one was merely offering well intentioned advice, overloading is not only illegal, but can have potentially catastrophic & tragic consequences.

As @Blue Knight states & I agree, 280kg of payload @ 3.5t G.V.W. makes the Moho unfit for purpose with full fuel etc & 2 adults & 2 children plus all their needs aboard i.m.o.

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
Unless you are wild camping you do not need to overload. Sensible packing. These vehicles are v expensive and good advice is welcomed by everyone. If we want young people to join in with our wonderful hobby we must encourage, not tell them the vehicle they have decided on at the price they can afford is not fit for purpose. They will have done a lot of homework before committing to this expensive item! I am sure they really appreciate positive input.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unless you are wild camping you do not need to overload. Sensible packing. These vehicles are v expensive and good advice is welcomed by everyone. If we want young people to join in with our wonderful hobby we must encourage, not tell them the vehicle they have decided on at the price they can afford is not fit for purpose. They will have done a lot of homework before committing to this expensive item! I am sure they really appreciate positive input.
Unfortunately this is very often not the case for younger or older MHers ... it is quite rare for them to look into the actual 'fitness for purpose' of vehicles, indeed many existing MHers haven't a clue that they are overweight or that it's something they need to even consider!

It is good, for once, that someone has researched this beforehand so at least knows what is likely needed to make it a usable vehicle.

OP
OP
j0hn

j0hn

Free Member
May 14, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Complete n00b - starting now!!
I will travel with minimum or no water, minimum amount of food, possibly take the spare wheel off, and for now won't add any additionals such as awning, bike rack, bikes, cases of wine etc :)
I weighed all of the items we plan to take (including passengers, prams, child seats, toys etc) and we're just about reaching 300KGs. But the MIRO on Benimars (based on catalogue) includes "90% of fuel in the tank, 1 gas bottle, 50 litre fresh water, 1 person to drive (75kg) and 10kg luggage" -- I only weigh 60kg so there is play by just removing the water. I won't know for sure until the weigh bridge trip!

It looks like up-rating (both licence and MH) is inevitable, and I'm happy to do this. It may take a few months (this season) until it's done, and I have to stick with the bare minimums of luggage for now and, again, I'm happy to do this - just to start somewhere.

What I'm not happy with, is reputable sellers such as Highbridge Caravan Centre casually asking "what licence you got" then recommending such MHs with minimal payloads (designed for 2 people max), knowing we're a family of four with small children. If I was in the business I would care about my reputation, and would at least warn my customers about these issues before tempting them to get "a perfect van for your family".
I can still ask to come out of my deal but I like the layout a lot, the price was good (47K for a 720 mile 1-year MH) so I'll continue on this path as I said earlier.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi John, I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to payload so I've done some figures for you assuming:

1. The MIRO is 100kg higher than stated (or 3%) which is way under EU Regulation allowances (normal thing).
2. Solar panel, TV and aerial is 18kg.
3. Semi-air suspension is 10kg.
4. 15kg return due to your weight difference on MIRO drivers figure.
5. 30kg return for water (note: 20kg must stay in the Truma 6E and pipes unless you fully drain the system).

Based on a variation of the above weights your estimated real-tme payload will be 207kg @3.5T.

If we now look at the 3.85T option then by my reckoning you will not be able to utilise about 125kg of that extra 350kg payload because you won't be able to use the full front axle allowance. This means that you will gain a maximum of 225kg (minus 10kg for air suspension) at 3.85T, so:

a. 3.5T will give you 207kg,
b. 3.85T will give you 422kg.

You will have no water on these figures and only 1 x 6kg propane gas bottle (weighing 15-17kg) which is not enough for motorhoming IMO. A second 6kg bottle will subtract a further 17kg while a 13kg bottle will subtract a further 30kg so that all comes off your bottom line.

......so even at 3.85T you will not be able to sustain 4 people, children, dogs, general food supplies and clothes etc.

Yep, I am a saddo. It may be a good price but you are going to be overloaded regardless of options.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
j0hn

j0hn

Free Member
May 14, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
So we collected last Wednesday and had our first weekend away in the Gower - what a lovely site, Three Cliffs!

IMG_20180610_074414.jpg

It weighs 2560kg with 2060 on the rear axle, everything included for a long weekend away, and some water (Two out of 8 lines on the panel, second one blinking). I reckon we can get rid of some stuff, move some in the front area and be legal for next time. But we won't be able to fit an awning or carry our bikes. That's fine for now but requires a bit of planning - find the easily accessible places to stay.

The garage on the 282's is quite small, we managed to fill it almost completely with the stuff we carry, pram, trolley, foldable seats etc.
But the main advantage of this layout is the interior space. I think the Beni can easily fit a party of 6 or even 8 for dinner. And for the kids it provides the space to play in case they can't be outside, which is perfect for us.

IMG_20180606_153723.jpg

We love it and can't wait to go out again! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_153637.jpg
    IMG_20180606_153637.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180607_205810.jpg
    IMG_20180607_205810.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 22

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Congratulations! Looks great & a wonderful location & site for your first trip (y)

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
Hi everybody, I just ordered this 2017 Mileo 282 with only 720 miles on (collecting from Highbridge on 6th of June), for our family of 4, 1 baby and 1 toddler.
We love the unusual layout with two lowering beds as it offers the max living space.
I have soooo many questions! Just browsing forums and advice pages at the moment, that's all I do, and count the days!!

Lowering beds - brilliant and something we may revisit at a later date. The children will love the experience,

OP
OP
j0hn

j0hn

Free Member
May 14, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Just checked Tyresafe for recommended tyre pressures, added all correct details and it gives me Front 44psi and Rear 80psi. Tyres are 225/75R16CP 116Q at 80 PSI. My van is set at 74 PSI on all wheels. Should I decrease the front and increase the rear, as Tyresafe says?

OP
OP
j0hn

j0hn

Free Member
May 14, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
As I mentioned, we weighed it before the first weekend away, with everything we needed (and extra ! - two bottles of prosecco), we were 3.560KG and 2.060 on the rear axle.

For the next trip we'll dump most of the water and leave home some of the stuff we had (one of the big camping chairs, some tools) and move some "heavies" from the rear garage to the storage bin under the seat (next to the hab door).

I won't take the spare wheel out (reading about it, it seems that it's not a good idea) but I might take the standard jack out as it's not very good and I could call the road assistance to help swapping the wheel.

I'll check the weight again before the trip. We're at the limit but manageable. I'd like to get an awning (14-15kg) but I'll probably be a bit over the 3.500kg limit by then.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
A lot of people carry lightweight gazebos. Good fun isnt it? We in France and have not been to a single place we had planned! Started off this a.m
.towards Loches but changed direction and now on way to Nantes! Nothing booked or planned whole 6 weeks.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
As I mentioned, we weighed it before the first weekend away, with everything we needed (and extra ! - two bottles of prosecco), we were 3.560KG and 2.060 on the rear axle.

For the next trip we'll dump most of the water and leave home some of the stuff we had (one of the big camping chairs, some tools) and move some "heavies" from the rear garage to the storage bin under the seat (next to the hab door).

I won't take the spare wheel out (reading about it, it seems that it's not a good idea) but I might take the standard jack out as it's not very good and I could call the road assistance to help swapping the wheel.

I'll check the weight again before the trip. We're at the limit but manageable. I'd like to get an awning (14-15kg) but I'll probably be a bit over the 3.500kg limit by then.

That's a good honest review and at least you're now aware of the van's realtime payload issues before you start the up-plating process.

That said, I would still be going back to the Highbridge Dealer to tell them how crap they were for payload advice for families - shocking!!

Lizieo

Free Member
Sep 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
3 years
We have a Benimar Mileo 282 and love it, the beds are ideal and are so easy to keep made up and use when you want them. We remove the pillows and put them under the seat but keep the bed made up. We have bought a large plastic step that folds flat and don’t use the ladder. It’s lightweight, great storage. We are careful what we pack but no problems yet. We haven’t weighed it though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back