Hello...!! & probably a dumb question.... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Now sleeping arrangements. You will have the same needs to address for both models. You have three sleeping areas. You say the rear is going to be used for your son. That leaves the over cab area and the dinette conversion.

The idea is for one of us to be in the back with the small painful one! One of us will then bunk up in the overcab bed with the eldest. Or when its just the 3 of us, eldest in overcab and my wife and I will use the back end. Probably, using the U shape as 2 singles because I am inherently lazy!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Taff015 Ah! now I understand. I would suggest that perhaps you may be looking at a motorhome that has been specifically modified for wheelchair users. The standard offerings are very narrow in all aspects. There are plenty around, and I believe a few of the members on here are wheelchair bound, and can offer more specific advice.
As for sleeping arrangements, I would think, that if you can find a van with double bunks at the back, an overcab at the front and a dinette in the middle, that is ideal for you. Gives you the overcab, your 2 children take the bunks, and also gives you living area in the middle, the Mizar GTI has this layout, and they have gold bumpers, what more could you want? :D
I would heed what many are saying, although we have a u-shaped lounge, and we love it, the constant making up of the bed is not for everyone. Have you considered renting a similar van to see how you get on for a few nights? That would give you a great idea of what you need with no requirement to purchase anything!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
There is a cure to the pain of making up beds.

Get the wife to do it.

I can't be arsed with all that faffing about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
@Taff015 Ah! now I understand. I would suggest that perhaps you may be looking at a motorhome that has been specifically modified for wheelchair users. The standard offerings are very narrow in all aspects. There are plenty around, and I believe a few of the members on here are wheelchair bound, and can offer more specific advice.
As for sleeping arrangements, I would think, that if you can find a van with double bunks at the back, an overcab at the front and a dinette in the middle, that is ideal for you. Gives you the overcab, your 2 children take the bunks, and also gives you living area in the middle, the Mizar GTI has this layout, and they have gold bumpers, what more could you want? :D
I would heed what many are saying, although we have a u-shaped lounge, and we love it, the constant making up of the bed is not for everyone. Have you considered renting a similar van to see how you get on for a few nights? That would give you a great idea of what you need with no requirement to purchase anything!

We did consider a wheelchair type vehicle. But!!! we will only ever do short trips with the small one and we will transport him about in his wheelchair vehicle. He is only a small wee bugger (25Kgs) so can lump him in and out of a normal sized door. If we take him in the van, he has a car seat that can be used for travelling and we have a collapsible all terrain buggy that we can wheel him about in if needed. The reason we liked the Scout is because I can store his buggy in the shower!!

A garage would make much more sense tbh but we would have to sacrifice seating space. Having said that, with a fixed rear bed, we could use that to sit with the young one, and have a garage for all the paraphernalia etc etc.

Tbh, we will get whatever we can afford and is available at the time we are ready to look! No doubt, we will end up with something totally different to what we have been looking at!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
we will end up with something totally different to what we have been looking at!!
Almost certainly, as I have said, we wanted a Mizar GTI with bunks, and we bought a Swift Sundance 630L :D

Your 25K budget should give you loads of choice, I wish you well in your search ;-)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have met several families over the years with similar circumstances to your description enjoying having a motorhome. All have been a true inspiration and where others may see difficulty, they look to find solutions that work for them
That said, I just wanted to point out that the larger vans suited to your needs are invariably over 3500kg so registered PHGV. Do you have a suitable driving licence and space to park such a large vehicle?

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
I have met several families over the years with similar circumstances to your description enjoying having a motorhome. All have been a true inspiration and where others may see difficulty, they look to find solutions that work for them
That said, I just wanted to point out that the larger vans suited to your needs are invariably over 3500kg so registered PHGV. Do you have a suitable driving licence and space to park such a large vehicle?

Yeah, I'm an old fart so can drive bigger wagons!!!

Sep 15, 2013
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Hymer b654
Exp
Look at the Hymer. We have a very old one (1993) it has 3 double beds and is built like a tank.

Hope you find one soon.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
After all that, my Mrs has had a thought that a fixed rear single bed(s) would be better!!!! (the ones above a garage and have the middle bit that can be added to make a huge double)

I'm now looking at Burstner travel van 620G or Hobby 700!! Granted they seem to be a step up from the Scout....I can feel my bank account starting to panic!!! Any good things to say about the Burstner or Hobby?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have a large garage with twin singles over that can be made into a huge double, we love it and the first vans we were attracted to were the Scout and it's bigger brother Arapaho for the same reasons as you.

The Burstners are all quality and we looked at many in our search for the perfect (for us) Motor-Home. Don't rule out the Frankia and Pilote models.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back