Hello...!! & probably a dumb question.... (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi, I found this site whilst spending hours and hours scouring the internet for motorhomes!!

We have decided that now is the time for us to get our first MH so are saving like mad. I'm aiming to have $25k (I mean pounds but i'm using a US keyboard sorry!)

One question if I may? We need a 6 berth and after looking at various layouts have decided that an end U or L shaped lounge is best for our needs (2 adults, 2 kids).
We need a 6 berth as my youngest is disabled and requires his own bed and space to stretch out as he cant sit, hence the U or L shape in the back.

So far, my wife likes the Autotrail Scout, I have found that the Arapaho is slightly longer and is a tag axle but essentially the same inside all be it longer.

Is there any issues with owning and using the Arapaho over the Scout? will the fact that its a tag axle and 8.5 meters long cause problems at campsites in the UK or Europe? Or does anyone have any better ideas? I'm always open to suggestions (I love the Itenio SB740 but have no where near enough for that!! )

I know I said 1 question and I asked 3, but maths was never my strong point!!!

Many thanks in advance

Taff

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Hi and Welcome,
An idea of your budget would help with suggestions, I do not have any experience of Autotrail, but they look good and are popular.
We have an older version of the one in the link below, we have had it for 6 years and love it, although only 2 of us, but it does have the layout you are after.
You could get your hands on one sub £10k, but they do not come up for sale that often (not that I have noticed anyway)

Broken Link Removed

Good luck with your search (y)

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi bartiny,

Thanks for your answer. I'm looking to spend up to 25k, but less would be better!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Hi Taff015 - welcome!
Just a basic question - do you have the appropriate driving licence for the above 3500Kg motorhomes?
We have an Auto-Trail Apache (which has a U-shaped lounge but it's not 6 berth) and have no complaints.
Good luck with your search!
Bill

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi Bill,

Yeah Both my wife and I are older....so our licenses are ok. I also have C+E so no real issue.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Taff015 - that's good news - not that I can get my wife to do much driving in the motorhome! Have a look at the Auto-Trail Apache 700 as that might just meet your needs and might be a bit cheaper than the Frontier Scout or Arapaho.

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
You will have to pay a membership fee ATM = £10.00 to post more than 5 times.
Worth every penny for the full year, goes up to £15.00 on the (i think) 1st October(y)

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi Bill_OR,

Why is the Apache 700 cheaper? Looking on autotrader they do indeed seem to be cheaper than the other 2. Is it down to trim levels or something as they do look the same!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had a tag Chieftain for about 18 months now.. absolutely NO issues anywhere, even travelling some of the tiny roads in Croatia and even smaller roads of Cornwall !

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Thanks for the info regarding subscription...... Funds paid, hopefully will kick in soon, or this will be my last post until it does!

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Taff, would bunk beds work for your daughter?

If so, worth considering, you can get an Adria 670SK in your price range, which has a quirky layout that kids like.

I almost plumped for a Mizar GTI Living Top Class but it wouldn't fit on the drive - but that has bunks and a great front lounge area (I believe you can seat 9 in comfort in the front lounge).

To be honest in the 25k category, there is lots to choose from, you need to decide on layout and if you want to use it in all weathers. If you fancy a bit of winter camping, get a European model as they are winterised and you can go away skiing with no problems. If it's just for use in summer, then consider British built too,

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Hi and welcome to the forum. From experience, make sure that the first thing you look at on any motorhome is that it has genuine passenger seats in the habitation area, forward facing with proper seat belts for the children. Most older motorhomes don't and people have bodged up lap belts on side facing bench seats which are dangerous and illegal. Good luck!

Mike

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Hi Bill_OR,

Why is the Apache 700 cheaper? Looking on autotrader they do indeed seem to be cheaper than the other 2. Is it down to trim levels or something as they do look the same!
Taff015 - a good question! The Frontier range is the top-of-the-range range that A-T make. There's a hefty premium in the price difference between the Frontier and the Apache ranges. Perhaps if and when I can afford to buy a Frontier model I will have a better appreciation of what the premium is paying for!
If you do go looking for an Apache 700 then make sure the specific vehicle has sufficient seat belts for your needs as well as berths. This is not something than can be easily added later!
Bill

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Bunk beds are a last resort tbh. The only reason I mentioned the Itineo SB740 is because the rear seats also convert into a bed. I seem to like A frames as well for some unknown reason!

Basically, one of us will need to sleep next to the small one as he needs 24 hr care and lots of medicines etc etc. A fixed rear bed wont give us the flexibility of a rear dinette I fear.

The basic idea is to use the MH in the UK for weekends with the 4 of us and then tour France etc with the older one when small boy is at the respite care hospices.

We also like the rear lounge option as it gives us somewhere else to sit as opposed to the center seats.

My main concern was to the length of said vehicles. I would hate to be turned away from campsites due to length.

Is there a time of the year when MH are cheaper?

Once again, thanks for all your comments

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi Laird,

Is there any issues with buying from Germany? Tax, re-registration? We were looking at MH is Germany when I was stationed there but it wasn't the right time for us.

I'm not adverse to driving LHD. I drove RHD in Germany for 15 years with no issues so the reverse in the UK hopefully shouldn't be too hard and would certainly make European visits easier!

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Use the site that Laird posted and get yourself a good motorhome from Germany. I did that earlier this year knowing the square root of FA and armed with lots of research from here and other websites got an A Class motorhome when all I could afford in the UK was coachbuilt. Sure, there's some paperwork involved and some leg work but there are a legion of people that can talk you through it and, actually is pretty straight forwards. Now until Feb/March is a good time to buy.

But seriously- I must have put 100 hours plus research into getting one. Write a list of 'must haves' or any barriers (i.e. I live in London so need to meet emissions). Then go from there. Plenty of filters that are on various websites.

Think about sleeping arrangements. I assume you'll want a bit of downtime to have a glass of two with your missus when the kids go to bed. So you'll need a lounge, but also easy access to the sleeping area so not to disturb kids (so a pull down cab bed may not work for you). I agree about fixed beds. Steals space that can be used for kids messing about during the day.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want any advice on importing :)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Oh and driving LHD over here is a doddle. Even the missus drives it now.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi TheWM,

Great info, thank you.

Ultimately, I am after the best bang for my cash and I'm going to assume that the German made MH are a better quality than some others?

I cant view the German site at the moment as I'm at work and for some reason, its blocked.

I did import a Land Cruiser from Cyprus a few years ago and as I recall, it was easy. I had to go to the DVLA place for an inspection and was then given a vrn after a MOT. Is there any more to it than that?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Bunk beds are a last resort tbh. The only reason I mentioned the Itineo SB740 is because the rear seats also convert into a bed. I seem to like A frames as well for some unknown reason!
May I enquire as to why regarding the Bunks? I would have thought that was ideal. The usual arrangement in a 6 berth u-shaped lounge arrangement (which is what we have) is an overcab double, the u-shaped converts to a big double and the dinette (after much swearing) converts to a small double. With the dinette used as a bed, the ladder for the overcab cannot be used (bit of an issue for bathroom breaks in the night!).

We also looked at many Mizar GTI's it was only the fact we couldn't find the right one that stopped us from buying one. You get 2 bunks, an overcab and a huge garage! For your disabled lad, I would have thought that having a made up bed would be ideal, but then I don't know the circumstances!

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Hi TheWM,

Great info, thank you.

Ultimately, I am after the best bang for my cash and I'm going to assume that the German made MH are a better quality than some others?

I cant view the German site at the moment as I'm at work and for some reason, its blocked.

I did import a Land Cruiser from Cyprus a few years ago and as I recall, it was easy. I had to go to the DVLA place for an inspection and was then given a vrn after a MOT. Is there any more to it than that?

The short answer is yes. European built MH's are better quality (and have lots more layouts) than UK built ones. They also are more family orientated (seat belts etc...) where as generally, UK builders make MH's for older couples.

Going to dealerships to look around for me, was a waste of time. As soon as I stated I wanted 4 belted seats, most had one or two at a push. A dealer told me, that 95% of their business was done with couples who went away on their own in their 50's thus that is what the market UK vans build to.

In terms of importing, yes that's about it. You'll need to get your van certified by a garage that it meets UK spec (speedo in MPH, lights adjusted to RHD and fog lights), but that's it really. No need for an inspection by DVLA.

Your 25k in the UK, would get you the equivalent of 35k in Germany. I paid about £33k for my MH. I've not seen many advertised and those that are would be £15k more expensive in the UK.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
700 or the scout.. Equally fine family vans, I have had 2 of the 700's and a scout...

The trim level is higher on the scout than the 700, also on older vans the 700 used a Fiat chassis and the Scout used an Aluminium "Alko" chassis... However the new one's now both use a new Fiat motorhome heavy duty chassis.
If you have and specific questions feel free to ask, myself and several others have the 700....

The rear U lounge is ideal for relaxing.. and can be somewhere the rest of the family can use while meals are being sorted at the Kitchen / dinette area.. We travel a lot with our two grandkids and the layout works great for us.. Ref making the bed in the U lounge.. Takes us about 90 seconds..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a Scout and very pleased with it.

That or the Apache 700 looks perfect for you with their layout.

I see you are from Shropshire .About 4 months ago there was a Scout for sale in a place just outside Shrewsbury ( Salop Leisure?) which I think was in your price range. It's probably sold now but they are about.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Everyone has their preferences, but don't forget the hassle factor of putting beds up & down and making them. Some say it's no problem, some (inc me!) hate doing it.

We tour with 3 kids in a 7 berth van at 7.0m with no problem. We have fixed rear bunks for 2 of the kids, and the youngest sleeps on a single dinette at the front , which we put up & down each night (hassle!). This still leaves us with a double dinette to sit at when all the kids are in bed.

Kids love bunks, our two eldest love having their own space that is "always" there. Have you considered a van with double bunks at the back? They do exist, like the below, and would enable you to sleep with your disabled child.

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30252-mclouis-tandy-620-plus

Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We have a scout now, but had the Apache.

Plenty if good advice above, especially about belted seats.

Now sleeping arrangements. You will have the same needs to address for both models. You have three sleeping areas. You say the rear is going to be used for your son. That leaves the over cab area and the dinette conversion.

Our dinette was the option with 4 belted seats. You cannot get two tall adults in here, and that includes some older children. Make it up and try before you buy.

The over cab can sleep two adults, but on earlier models the one lying nearer the front of the vehicle will find there is not much headroom, and if they want to get up in the night it's both up. Again, try it. Latest models have slightly more headroom, but the getting up at night issue would still apply. Again try before you buy.

Now weight.

Every time we went out with 4 up in the Apache we were over the max weight, not by much, but we never travelled with much excess, certainly no bikes or anything like that. That meant ditching any excess water and getting lighter seats and tables. We are now about 50kg inside the limit with everything full, and we have extra games loaded for our grandchildren that we couldn't take before.

Storage.

Weight apart, the Apache had far better interior access storage.

Bathroom

Our Scout has an excellent shower, room to move to actually have one. Yes, I am a bit larger round the middle than I should be. Never used the shower in the Apache, it was a place to hang wet coats. However, the toilet on the Scout has hardly any leg room, and everyone sits for all activity, so check this on your model.

Fridge.
The later Scout has a large fridge, too big for us on our own, but great when we have the grandchildren. Handy for stocking with goods on the return from France recently. It may be handy if you have medicines etc. that need keeping cool.

Hope this helps in some way.

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
Hi Daniel,

The rear U shape is a preference at the moment for 2 reasons.

1. Somewhere to relax when older child is in bed when just the 3 of us.

2. Somewhere that we can sit with out youngest and let him stretch out. He has no mobility and sitting in a wheelchair or lying on a bed doesn't give us the opportunity to interact with him. He also dislikes being alone as he cant see either, so close contact is preferable. That was why my original question mentioned the Arapaho as it was longer and gave a bigger seating area.

If, however I can find a MH that has a larger middle dining area (like the Itineo SB740) then bunk beds are indeed an option or even a fixed bed with garage. Basically, I need a maximum of space in a seating area and beds are secondary (but need to be accessible)

I suspect that I wont get everything I need and will have to compromise somewhere. Basically I am after 2 x MH!! One with loads of space for when the 4 of us are using it and one that can tour round Europe with just the 3 of us with no issues or problems at campsites

OP
OP
Taff015
Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
We have a Scout and very pleased with it.

That or the Apache 700 looks perfect for you with their layout.

I see you are from Shropshire .About 4 months ago there was a Scout for sale in a place just outside Shrewsbury ( Salop Leisure?) which I think was in your price range. It's probably sold now but they are about.

It was still there in August and we went to have a look at it. Hence my wife liking the Scout. I did think though that is was overpriced!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It was still there in August and we went to have a look at it. Hence my wife liking the Scout. I did think though that is was overpriced!!

I didn't look at the price I was just killing a bit of time so looked at the van.

It looked clean to my untrained eye.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back