Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
4x4 sprinter conversion
Exp
30 months
Hello,
I'm Douglas, just retired and planning a long trek through Europe.
Started off my campervan experience with a builders van / minibus that I adapted to experiment with different layouts and have come up with something that suits my needs. Meantime I've been travelling throughout the Uk exploring beautiful English Villages and experiencing the wildness of the North West Highlasnd. Today I take delivery of another Sprinter that is about to get windows, and go off to get fitted out . I'm a bit of an "Off Grid" character and would like to know if anyone has experience with an induction hob using an inverter . My van has 2 very large 12/24 volt batteries. The type that are supplied to ambulances and breakdown trucks. It has fitted a heavy duty alternator and will have solar charging
I can't believe I'm a trailblazer in this field and would appreciate members expertise.
Douglas

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Welcome, hope you enjoy your new van. My OH does all the tech stuff on our MH and there are some really handy guys on this site, so if you've done it you can betya guys on here have.:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Cooking with electric whether it's induction , ceramic hob, infrared, halogen, or solid plate, makes no odds to the power used.

I don't know what size hob or plate you are contemplating, but at 12volts each kw uses 83 amps.. how long would your battery bank last.. and more importantly could your solar keep up with the demand? You do the maths.

If you have an aversion to LPG , have you considered a Webasco diesel cooker ?
Means you only have one fuel source if combined with a diesel space heater and a 12v compressor fridge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wheels

Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
4x4 sprinter conversion
Exp
30 months
Thank you for your welcome Souix and to ScotJimland for the link to diesel cooking ,I'd never heard of it.
I have an allergy to LPG so need to investigate other means . I'm going for a compressor fridge and diesel water / heating .

Douglas

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
:welc: Have a lot of fun...... this is the best site for motorhoming on the internet as far as I am concerned!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if anyone has experience with an induction hob using an inverter .
Douglas

Battery electricity is not good for heat, gas is. One Gaslow tank is equivalent to many charged batteries. So look into Gaslow ( or similar ) for your heating and cooking.

Oops, just seen allergic to LPG. Never heard of that one before. That's seriously tough luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back