Hello, How are fellow motorhomes coping with the new EU regulations on the 90 day stays in Europe, it has certainly has messed up my plans. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think you may find that too many folk will be to embarrassed to admit they voted to leave without really understanding All the consequences, I.e. a lot of people only heard Farage spouting how Uk would take back control of their borders, which we all found out to be a load of rubbish, he didn’t labour on points like ‘you will only be able to visit EU 90/180 so hard luck if you own property out there’ etc, etc, there were quite a few forfeits and loss of certain privileges which many had not realised... Just sayin
I wonder what % of the population actually have property abroad or even have a passport

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Interesting, but we're not talking about an individual losing citizenship. The question was whether a British citizen, legally resident in an EU country before 31/12/20, would, under the WA, retain the rights he previously had as an "EU citizen" under DIRECTIVE 2004/38, even though he is no longer an "EU citizen". I think I am right in saying that whilst British citizens retain certain rights they had as "EU citizens", they certainly do not retain "EU citizenship" as such. (Of course, there is no such thing as an "EU citizen" is there? Just citizenship of an EU member state.) Which no Briton now has, unless they are dual nationals. I could be wrong. I'm not a lawyer. :giggle:
EU citizenship was conferred upon citizens of EU member countries by the Maastricht Treaty. It was legally deemed to be additional to, but not replacing, national citizenship. It allows rights, legal protections and freedoms under EU law that are not enshrined in national legislation. UK law up to, and including The Withdrawal Act acknowledges and accepts EU citizenship.
It appears to have become fashionable among those of a certain mindset to deny the existence of EU citizenship. But it is a fact.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
EU citizenship was conferred upon citizens of EU member countries by the Maastricht Treaty. It was legally deemed to be additional to, but not replacing, national citizenship. It allows rights, legal protections and freedoms under EU law that are not enshrined in national legislation. UK law up to, and including The Withdrawal Act acknowledges and accepts EU citizenship.
It appears to have become fashionable among those of a certain mindset to deny the existence of EU citizenship. But it is a fact.
Fair enough. I took a flyer on that one without any fact checking..... Nothing to do with mindset. But it doesn't change my point.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've never been but it sounds like a fair bit of the economy there could be run by off the radar Brits so the tax loss could be pretty small. The long term hotel stayers could still go for 3 months and all the long term stay caravan/ motorhomers from other EU countries as long as they like. I think the loss to the economy would be pretty small.
Looking at the number of catering establishments that have opened very close to the big campsites I think the loss would be substantial for them..Brits are far the biggest spenders on food and drink ..Very seldom do you find a French camper in a bar or restaurant in Spain. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
How much do you think UK tourists who spend more than 90 days at one time contribute to EU economies? I would suggest that figure is relatively low so the incentives to provide options for long-term tourists are low on the list of things to solve.
Many sites in Spain are three quarters full of Brits in the winter..Germans French and Dutch prefer to wild camp etc.BUSBY.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Many sites in Spain are three quarters full of Brits in the winter..Germans French and Dutch prefer to wild camp etc.BUSBY.

Any guesses how many people would that be? I'd guess that many of their places will be taken by European campers forced to stop wild camping as it becomes more difficult... How many UK campers will make enough noise to get the Spanish Government to take notice?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Some are Busby, the same could be said about a site in Altea being 97% Dutch or some in Mazarron and Isla Plana being mainly German....a site we had a hand in building in Murcia started off being 100% Brits...now it's mainly Dutch....
Totana camperpark which we helped setting up is a mix....but that depends on time of year...
I remember arriving in a coastal site in the Costa Blanc's which had zones that attracted different nationalities....we drive a Spanish registered van....I decided on the best place for my satellite signal...in the middle of the German zone....a few strange looks at first....a few shared beers towards the end of the weekend 🤔🇪🇦

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But you've never been so having a guess.

I have been . we lasted 24 hours its not for us, but you can't help but notice how the Benidorm economy is totally dominated by brits. Never going to be the main event for the EU but will make a big difference to the local businesses.
I think there will still be lots of brits there just not the ones who would already have been there 3 months and haven't applied for residency. As I say there will still be lots there on long term package deals and a lot in motorhomes etc. They're not stopping the vast majority.

anniej

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Herne, Herne Bay, Kent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Exec
Exp
20 years
Yea Bloody right Chaser, you tell em, 90 days should be long enough for anyone to go away on holiday, they should get back home and do a decent days work, even come out of retirement if necessary, what ever it takes to "Make This Country Great Again" where have I heard that before?:unsure::rofl:
I have come out of retirement. I'm 74 and just become a Covid vaccinator, and getting paid for it!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Goes without saying, but I will.....there is too much of the same in Benidorm and similar locations..... am I the only person who retired to Spain over 20 years ago and didn't open a bar.....well perhaps I'm not....but many do....there are far too many, and this will hit home,....small business decline...
The Costas are a small part of a huge country, Covid will have a far greater impact than some Brits only having half as good a time as they have had in the past....time wise....
We all need to adjust to a different set of rules...give it time, we all will get used to it....us too.....we have travel restrictions..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Looking at the number of catering establishments that have opened very close to the big campsites I think the loss would be substantial for them..Brits are far the biggest spenders on food and drink ..Very seldom do you find a French camper in a bar or restaurant in Spain. BUSBY.
I like the French but watching them eat out is hilarious, they are sooooo tight. Some Frenchmen can sit all night with a 25cl glass of Kronenbourg and his wife will drink the bottle of badoit she walked in with, possibly the same one they both took to the restaurant at lunchtime for the cheapest menu du jour that they could find - it probably took them an hour and a haggle before they sat down.

Last year was notable that two of the times we ate out they moved tables to accommodate us

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I always think that, retire to Spain and open a bar. Running a bar , that’s serious hours and work. How can that be retirement ? On the tv shows on relocating always seems to be plenty of bars for sale.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry if I am going down a rabbit hole. What is a "Foreign Registered Vehicle"? My German-built MoHo was registered in complete compliance with UK and European law in 2019 - when the UK was a member state. Is it "foreign" under Spanish Law?
Any vehicle not registered in the country you are resident in.**does not include 'professionals' like lorry drivers.
Different rules for them,when working.
abroad or even have a passport
Far more have one in the ik than the amount who do not in the USA
Any guesses how many people would that be? I'd guess that many of their places will be taken by European campers forced to stop wild camping as it becomes more difficult...
Site that Badknee stays on usually is full with 120 for 6 months. This year I believe there were 10.
No the Europeans won't use sites if they don't usually.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Any vehicle not registered in the country you are resident in.**does not include 'professionals' like lorry drivers.
Different rules for them,when working.

Far more have one in the ik than the amount who do not in the USA

Site that Badknee stays on usually is full with 120 for 6 months. This year I believe there were 10.
No the Europeans won't use sites if they don't usually.
Isn't Spain making wild camping more difficult? If there are spaces in the campsites because Brits can't stay for long, I'm guessing that there will be pressure to get those spaces filled by Europeans.... that will be relatively easy on a local Municipal scale.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Interesting, but we're not talking about an individual losing citizenship. The question was whether a British citizen, legally resident in an EU country before 31/12/20, would, under the WA, retain the rights he previously had as an "EU citizen" under DIRECTIVE 2004/38, even though he is no longer an "EU citizen". I think I am right in saying that whilst British citizens retain certain rights they had as "EU citizens", they certainly do not retain "EU citizenship" as such. (Of course, there is no such thing as an "EU citizen" is there? Just citizenship of an EU member state.) Which no Briton now has, unless they are dual nationals. I could be wrong. I'm not a lawyer. :giggle:
There is such a thing as an EU citizen; one of the points that Sir David made during his summary:

Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, Article 45​

"1. Every citizen of the Union has the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States."

Judgment of the ECJ in Grzelczyk (2001)​

"31. Union citizenship is destined to be the fundamental status of nationals of the Member States, enabling those who find themselves in the same situation to enjoy the same treatment in law irrespective of their nationality, subject to such exceptions as are expressly provided for."

Steve

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
There is such a thing as an EU citizen; one of the points that Sir David made during his summary:

Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union, Article 45​

"1. Every citizen of the Union has the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States."

Judgment of the ECJ in Grzelczyk (2001)​

"31. Union citizenship is destined to be the fundamental status of nationals of the Member States, enabling those who find themselves in the same situation to enjoy the same treatment in law irrespective of their nationality, subject to such exceptions as are expressly provided for."

Steve
Already covered in posts 213 and 214.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Its the same for our villa renters.

Brits tend to eat out. Some, morning noon and night.

Spanish tend to stay by the pool, BBQ and cook in the house.

I am not saying you do not see Spaniards in bars and restaurants. I am merely making a point that, for the 18+ weeks we rent our villa. That usually led to british families eating out. That could be as many as 378 days of meals and bars. or 1,134 family meals. Times that by the average of 6 Guests, 6,804 settings. In just a few months.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years

I am not saying you do not see Spaniards in bars and restaurants. I am merely making a point that, for the 18+ weeks we rent our villa. That usually led to british families eating out. That could be as many as 378 days of meals and bars. or 1,134 family meals. Times that by the average of 6 Guests, 6,804 settings. In just a few months.
Surely the 90 day rule isn't going to affect villa renters?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Already covered in posts 213 and 214.
Your point being? I answered a question that you posed in relation to my previous post.You also replied to another poster that the issue of EU citizens did not alter your previous point that there is no such thing as EU citizens ...

Never mind. On the Ignore List.

Steve

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

They're not the tourists who would be there for more than 90 days ..... how much difference do you think it will make to the local economy if Brits only spend 90 days.... I'm guessing some will go to Morocco or return to UK for 3 months and head back to Spain if they really want to or blow their budget in 90 days rather than 180 .... I really don't think the hit to Spain will be big enough to make any change to laws etc.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Pretty well spot on local restaurants to us state on menu no Pizzas to be shared between adults etc, a family group of 6/8 would order a couple salads to start and then share Pizza almond with one bottle of wine and water and take 2 hours over it when the owner is desperate to get the table back. Similar experiences in Bars a Spanish couple take 2 hours over a couple cokes whilst we and others are 3/3 rounds in. Love the Spanish and their Culture but spenders in general they are not.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
They're not the tourists who would be there for more than 90 days ..... how much difference do you think it will make to the local economy if Brits only spend 90 days.... I'm guessing some will go to Morocco or return to UK for 3 months and head back to Spain if they really want to or blow their budget in 90 days rather than 180 .... I really don't think the hit to Spain will be big enough to make any change to laws etc.
Brittany ferries used to advertise winter packages with villas and apartments in Spain

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Speak for your self , 90/180 days I think would have been in the very very small print ! In the grand scheme of things a minor point how many punters have second homes ?? I am not the least embarrassed to say I voted to leave thank you .
It is acknowledged that about 0.8 - 1.0 million brits have a Spanish holiday home plus possibly the same in France a not insignificant number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back