Hello from West Sussex, and your opinions please ... (1 Viewer)

TonySoprano

Free Member
Feb 25, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Good evening to all those that read this.

We are based in Chichester and have been MH owners since 2014, currently with a Hymer B678 which has been OKish. We have used this to visit all corners of the UK and also to travel around France with the occasional skirmish into Spain.

I will be losing my C1 entitlement in a couple of years and have no plans to jump through DVLA and medical hoops, so we've decided to downsize. Her indoors had already declared an interest in something shorter and skinnier - she assures me she is talking about the MH rather than me.

As I'm sure those on here that have gone through the same process are only too aware, this is a long and impossible mission which cannot be rushed.

We've ruled out a PVC as that is just a compromise too far for us we think, so our current thinking is something like an Adria Compact SL, Burstner Travelvan T620G or at the other end of the price range a Carthago Compactline 143 - the 141 might be better but it's just a bit too new at the moment.

The Carthago gets my personal vote as it is so close to what we already have but at the same time meets the "shorter and skinnier" criteria.

Having read some of the "issues" on here and elsewhere about the Travelvan, I'm inclined to take it off the short list, but I realise there are many on here that know far more than we do, so would welcome any opinions or experiences that could help us with our decision making, including other alternatives we might have missed.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Love our Carthago but it is rated at 4500kg.
Trying to keep under the magic 3500kg is always going to be tight if you want a usable payload, so tread with caution.
On the other hand, if you are reasonably fit ie. you can see your hand in front of your face and the ticker is still ticking in time, stay with the C1.
The medical and sight test are basic and the paper process is simple.

Richard.

OP
OP
T

TonySoprano

Free Member
Feb 25, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Love our Carthago but it is rated at 4500kg.
Trying to keep under the magic 3500kg is always going to be tight if you want a usable payload, so tread with caution.
On the other hand, if you are reasonably fit ie. you can see your hand in front of your face and the ticker is still ticking in time, stay with the C1.
The medical and sight test are basic and the paper process is simple.

Richard.

Thanks for that Richard, neither of us are tubbies or unfit (quite the opposite in fact), so I understand your point, but then again without being too negative you never know what is around the corner :(

We have over two years before having to decide about C1, let's just hope we've identified the right MH for us by then !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for that Richard, neither of us are tubbies or unfit (quite the opposite in fact), so I understand your point, but then again without being too negative you never know what is around the corner :(

We have over two years before having to decide about C1, let's just hope we've identified the right MH for us by then !
Be positive!
I ordered our new truck just a few months before I was 70 feeling sure I would pass the medical.
Four years later we are still trucking and have no intention of downsizing any time soon.
Just go for what you want. (y):)

Richard.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don’t rule out one of those long wheelbase panel van conversions that are ideal for short weekday trips to the local supermarket and weeks away touring.

OP
OP
T

TonySoprano

Free Member
Feb 25, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Don’t rule out one of those long wheelbase panel van conversions that are ideal for short weekday trips to the local supermarket and weeks away touring.

Thanks but we've spent a few hours in PVCs doing a "dummy run" and just can't see it working for us - I do appreciate it works for others though !

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4:

We are based not far from chi at the moment.

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
Hi and welcome.
I am also in Chichester and downsized from A class Rapidos x 3 different models,a Laika 400 and a Pilote Galaxy over 14years motorhoming with my late husband.I now have a Wildax PVC and really enjoy the flexibility of where I can go and where I can park.It drives like a car,actually even better,is economical on fuel etc.etc.
Premier Motorhomes in Birdham seem to have a huge stock of vans at the moment of all shapes and sizes.
Helen

OP
OP
T

TonySoprano

Free Member
Feb 25, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi and welcome.
I am also in Chichester and downsized from A class Rapidos x 3 different models,a Laika 400 and a Pilote Galaxy over 14years motorhoming with my late husband.I now have a Wildax PVC and really enjoy the flexibility of where I can go and where I can park.It drives like a car,actually even better,is economical on fuel etc.etc.
Premier Motorhomes in Birdham seem to have a huge stock of vans at the moment of all shapes and sizes.
Helen

Yes we're regular visitors at Premier, in fact I think we've been to most of the main dealers south of Newark in the last month or so ... unfortunately I think we'll be seeing many more over the coming months too :(

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated welcome group purple.gif

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
A s you have been to Premiere you must have looked at the Hymer Exsis. If you want something similar to your Hymer and want to stay with an A Class, narrower with good payloads. Our last van was an Exsis i678 although we did upgrade it to to 3850 we were only running at about 3650 with full tanks, e-bikes & and a washing machine on board. The 7 m ones should be fairly easy to run at 3500.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks but we've spent a few hours in PVCs doing a "dummy run" and just can't see it working for us - I do appreciate it works for others though !

What were the main issues you found with a PVC?

OP
OP
T

TonySoprano

Free Member
Feb 25, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
What were the main issues you found with a PVC?

We fully accept they can "go anywhere" but we've been spoilt with a good sized garage for storing e-bikes securely and don't want to lose this. We just feel the smaller coachbuilts or A-class are "cosier" - sorry can't explain it any better than that :)

OP
OP
T

TonySoprano

Free Member
Feb 25, 2019
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
:welco:
A s you have been to Premiere you must have looked at the Hymer Exsis. If you want something similar to your Hymer and want to stay with an A Class, narrower with good payloads. Our last van was an Exsis i678 although we did upgrade it to to 3850 we were only running at about 3650 with full tanks, e-bikes & and a washing machine on board. The 7 m ones should be fairly easy to run at 3500.

Thanks Lenny, yes we did look at the Exsis-t / Exsis-i 474 and 588 and we (or I) certainly haven't ruled these out. My other half is the one pushing for the small coachbuilt (ie. Adria or Burstner) but I confess to favouring the Carthago at the moment as a reasonable compromise between what we have and what she wants, and when all's said and done, I do the driving !

This could take a while :)

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I see, yes the garages are good on the coachbuilts, the fixed-bed-across-the-back PVCs also have a garage but it can be shorter. I think your biggest hurdle is your requirement vs the 3.5 tonne limit, I'd pay particular attention to payload, also remember the lightest garages are empty ones LOL!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back