Hello from the Wirral (1 Viewer)

Jul 22, 2020
NW - UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since Aug 20
Afternoon all, I have lurked on here for a while and finally paid my dues a couple of months ago.
Thought I would say hello as I am also planning on asking a question in the "Questions" thread.

After a couple of years of pondering we finally took the plunge and bought our first campervan last year. Well in fact we ended up buying both a motorhome and a campervan within a month of each other, although that was not the plan at all !
We were royally messed about by a big name dealer who “sold” us a Boxer based Elddis motorhome, took full payment and then cancelled the sale on us. They initially pushed back handover day and then ultimately claimed the MH had failed its gas safety check and they could not sell it to us. There seemed to be no option for them to have it fixed and complete the sale – they just killed it completely. We then had to chase for a refund of our payment, which we did get back - however from date of paying the balance to getting our refund was the best part of three weeks. Squeaky bum time indeed.

I appreciate that, if that MH was a death trap etc., then we would have been grateful that the sale was cancelled but something does not feel right about that whole deal. I note that as of today that MH is still not road taxed and the last V5 was issued in 2017.

So we were then left to start the search again, all the while prices were going up. However we then found a Boxer based, 6m, factory PVC campervan that, after much deliberating, we decided suited us better than the initial MH and, despite it costing £3k more than the MH, we went for it.

This time it was a smaller “family” dealership who were much less stressful to deal with, did not want the balance paying until handover and, although they gave us the usual insurance, paint protection, etc. leaflets they did not sit us down to try and sell them to us as did the previous dealership. Do not know if I’m allowed to mention either of those dealerships but I am happy to if permitted. Both were in Preston so I’d guess some of you will be able to work it out.

Fast forward to today and, like many of you, we are stuck at home wishing we could be out on the road. We did manage a couple of long weekends out in the van last year and, very luckily, got to the Scottish Highlands in the gaps between all the lockdowns/tiers. We are trying to be Covid safe and secure and whilst in Scotland did our best to support the local businesses, not offend the locals and “leave no trace”.

Even if it were allowed, we are not considering any foreign trips in the van just yet, whilst we get used to driving it, but we do have several UK trips planned – fingers crossed.

So, in short, hello !

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Left no trace in the Highlands I saw the leaves fall of the trees as you went by.😂
Hi welcome from the Highlands of Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Top Dog

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
None at present
Exp
David has 6 years experience as a full-timer in Australia (2002-2008). RV: "Winnebago Longreach".
Hello from Sale in Cheshire!
We too have ordered our Adria Twin PVC from Preston which we are hoping to collect in May.
Safe travelling.
Regards, Margaret and David

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds! (y)

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
illustration hello GIF by Kochstrasse™

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
;bigwelcome: from the other side of the Mighty Mersey. Will give you a wave when walking the dog in the morning.
See you around one day.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Hiya to you in Wirral from us in Warrington 👍

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
You've had quite an induction into motorhome ownership. Glad your first experience didn't put you off. I hope the road ahead takes you where you want to go. Welcome and enjoy!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
1621660446664.png