Hello From South west Scotland (1 Viewer)

leach62

Free Member
May 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Hi everybody

We have had our Hobby 750 (twin singles above the large garage) not sure of the model for nearly 4 years and love it. The van has given us so much more than we expected. That said she is circa 2004 and last year I had to have the front crossbar replaced and patches on the front sills before she passed the MOT. We are considering changing for a slightly newer model same layout on the newer chassis 2008.

I would be very interested to hear some opinions on this as the dealer we purchased the van from said that we would should keep it. He further went on to say that even the newer Hobby's were not constructed as well as ours and that if we were willing to spend a small amount on her each year she would keep going.

I have also come across a long term Hobby 750 thread on this forum with some obviously some very devoted owners, so I am very interested in your thoughts.

Regards

Jim

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The dealer said you should keep it...wow, did they have anything in stock you were interested in?
:welcome4:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
leach62

leach62

Free Member
May 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Hi, well yes they did have a van of interest in stock but it was not quite right for us. He was quite adamant that we had a better van even though it was older and would last longer.

I should perhaps expand on my initial post and ask any forum members if they could suggest a repalcement van slightly more modern and as good as the one we have. Even at 17 years old there are no squeaks, the cupboards are still square and everything on board works?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I'd keep what you have until you need to change it :) Put the money you haven't spent away safe then when the time comes you have cash - and cash is king! Also motorhomes are going for top dollar at the moment so probably not the time to change ... wait until the craze passes and you can buy someone's expensive purchase for a more reasonable amount.

We've just redecorated one of the rooms in our house and I realised that every piece of furniture bar two (chairs) were either auction buys or from the casualty section of a store and rebuilt by us. Modern furniture is more of a fashion statement than built to last and I think many (not all) vehicles are the same.

OP
OP
leach62

leach62

Free Member
May 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Thank you Puddleduck, those thoughts were also going through our heads.

OP
OP
leach62

leach62

Free Member
May 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Yes, it probably supports the radiator and joins the chassis either side and I suppose adds rigidity to the body and it is a Fiat base. Also had to have patches put on the sills.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Amy Poehler Hello GIF by Team Coco
If it is not a money pit, And your happy with it,
Snl Keep It 100 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, well yes they did have a van of interest in stock but it was not quite right for us. He was quite adamant that we had a better van even though it was older and would last longer.

I should perhaps expand on my initial post and ask any forum members if they could suggest a repalcement van slightly more modern and as good as the one we have. Even at 17 years old there are no squeaks, the cupboards are still square and everything on board works?
I have a similar van, a 2004 Burstner, and the only reason I would upgrade is for a better (more modern) engine.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Welcome. Our first van was a 2002 hobby 600. Loved it to bits sold it on as our ideal layout it wasn’t. Great van rust got the sills of mine also. Well made. I’m now in a Mercedes hymer that suit’s us perfectly now. Should you sell. As prices are on the up big time. You may get a great price. But what you want next will be high prices also. It’s your choice mate. What other models are you looking at as it’s replacement 👍🥃😷

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Helllooo and welcome

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi and welcome 😄, I too if I was in your situation, wait as
Puddleduck, said prices are crazy at present, we have a 2003 hymer 5 berth, only had it since 2019 no doubt would at this
Present market probably get more than we paid for it!.. But then will pay im sure well over the top for a more newish van, I understand you thinking putting more money in each year, to maintain it..it's a big decision, the timing I feel is not the best due to current (C) situation, in my opinion, good luck in whatever decision you make 🤞

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Old Sarum! (y)

WynandJean