Free Member
Dec 17, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone.... Just joined and thought I would say hi. My wife and I have decided to buy a motor home in the New Year. I guess I've always been against the idea as I'm big built and find things like the toilet and shower on these motor homes a tight fit. My good lady assures me that there are some models out there built to accommodate? I'd certainly be grateful for any suggestions model wise. Our budget would be around 50k and I think we'd like a permanent double bed.
We are both very interested in photography, so the MH would be used around Scotland in our quest for new locations.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :welc:

Can't help with your search for the right MH only to say visit lots of dealers to try before you buy

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I would suggest that you look at as many MH's that you can
You already know you want a fixed bed so that's a start.
How many berths and travel seats do you need / want ??
My wife has a balance problem and we have a Bailey 760 which has a good sized shower but no fixed bed think the 745 May have a fixed bed but not 100% sure
As you have a fairly healthy pot to spend sure you will find something
Think some of the more up market one have a separate shower on one side of the van and the toilet on the other which may be best for you
Look on caravan finder tv website as you can put in your spec and it will come up with what's available

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the fun, there are lots of vans out there suitable, with full width end bathroom I am sure someone will know appropriate models to look for.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
The best advice I can give you is LAYOUT - LAYOUT - LAYOUT. With the large variety of motorhomes about make sure you get the layout that suits you and don't be afraid to look at motorhome layouts on vehicles you can't or don't want to afford, all knowledge is valuable when buying your first motorhome.
Should you find a mh you like then ask questions on here to benefit from other advice and experience.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yup, layout is the most important thing, with 50K budget, you can purchase some pretty wonderful machines. It sounds like the full width end bathroom will suit you the best, as @Wildman suggested. Although, a friend of mine owns a Bessacar with this layout, and she complains that the hot water runs out prior to finishing her shower!
A thing to note, a lot of motorhome rental places are also dealers for the motorhomes they rent out, and will often give you a huge discount if you rent and then buy (voice of experience). You can then see what the van is like to live with before you part with your hard earned cash :xThumb:

OP
OP
blades

blades

Free Member
Dec 17, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you everyone for such a speedy warm welcome

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
another welcome

one of our main tests when looking at MH's is a sit on loo and 'go through the motions' that is the arm movement part of things at least, please do not take that too literally

I am best bit of 20 stone and take up some room even sat still

watch out on the fixed bed bit as well, we set out to buy a MH with island bed, fell in love with a Hymer with transverse bed over garage, nice bed, but a bit of a scramble in and out and no room to sit up in bed

as other have said already layout layout layout, don't get drawn like us by looks alone

:xThumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi blades and welcome from Sunny Dumfries, as others have said have a good look before jumping in, we have an Adria Matrix 680sp and find the shower in that has plenty of room.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Welcome!

As above, layout, layout, and layout!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, with your budget you should get a decent 2nd hand van to meet your needs but layout is the key, don't be in a rush, try and see as many vans as you can, when you find one you like you can always ask the opinion of others on here who might have the same or similar. Good luck. (y)

OP
OP
blades

blades

Free Member
Dec 17, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you everyone.... I'm looking forward to trying them all out :xThumb:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and a warm welcome to MHF.Good luck with your hunt,exciting times ahead:xThumb::xsmile:
Brian & Jo

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hello from Aberdeen. :welc: Remember, if you plan to use sites, they have showers. We get our van in March hopefully and although we have a separate shower, we plan to use the site's facilities. Good Luck:xgrin:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Smiley%20Hello.gif
From Glasgow

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
:welc:
Don't know if you know but the Caravan & Motorhomes Exhibition is on at the NEC in February - that's always interesting for your research. But perhaps you will get tempted before then. :xwink:

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Hi Blade, Scotland's biggest motorhome dealer is only 45 minutes away !! It is Perthshire Caravans on the A90 between Dundee and Perth, they also have a very good accessory shop.
Go in for a visit, try everything in all the vans, then go and try again.
If you want go north to Dyce Caravans, as they too have a good selection of new and second hand motorhomes too (same as Perthshire)
Do not jump into it, look around, make up a tick list of what you want/wish for and then try to find one that ticks most boxes, you will have to compromise on something !!
You will probably be offered lots of incentives but hold out for the best deal, with your budget you have a very good start point for either a new van or a more expensive (originally) model.
personally I would be looking for about 10-15 % discount on a new van with no trade in.
If you wish message me and I can let you have a look at our new van, it is a VW Crafter panel van conversion that was converted to our specifications/ requirements as we do a lot of rallies where there is no hook up.
cheers
Tom

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Btw the motorhome /caravan show is in Glasgow SECC in Jan/February 2015

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Welcome Blades and I second what tjay says in #22 about Perthshire Caravans. Good number of vans on show inside and out and the accessory shop is the best I've been to particularly in terms of price. The staff are very helpful both on the van sales side and in the accessory shop.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Btw the motorhome /caravan show is in Glasgow SECC in Jan/February 2015
If you go let us know...... but have to say we were disappointed last year as not that many different makes of van there. However on the way home we called in a dealer and saw the van we eventually bought. THere is no harm in visiting as many dealers as you can and making lists.

There is also a show in Manchester early in the New Year. Not been to that one so can't comment on how good or otherwise it is.

Also take photos as it all blurs after a while. I used to take a photo of the info sheet on the van or the make/model no, then take photos of the inside and anything that seemed important and then repeat the first photo so I knew which set of photos belonged to which van.

Things to check out....

Layout
Weight and payload (check your driving entitlement)
Don't trust the dealer on payload but get it weighed as you may have to uprate the plate which could be a paper exercise or could need modifications or may not even be possible.
No of berths and travel seats (not always the same)
Does it have differences in internal levels (or are there steps everywhere) might or might not be a problem
Do you need a garage?
Do you want a transverse bed or an island bed?

Layout

and did I say layout?

Lie on the beds. Open the cupboards. Pretend you are using the loo and the shower and I mean do all the twisting and stretching you would normally do in there.

If the bed is a drop down check it is easy to lower and raise.

Pretend to cook and serve a meal

There will always be a compromise - but only you can decide on which compromise is acceptable.

Another thing you might consider is how you are going to use the motorhome and for how long at a time.

OP
OP
blades

blades

Free Member
Dec 17, 2014
Brechin
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you all do much for the tips.... I have been to Perthshire Caravans and yes there was a great selection. From u tube videos alone I like Hymer, but so far have not looked around a 'real' one.

Again, many thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice :xThumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can't remeber their name there's a dealer just off the mate near Livingston and they are a Hymer dealer so might be worth a look round.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Can't remeber their name there's a dealer just off the mate near Livingston and they are a Hymer dealer so might be worth a look round.

Hi and welcome from Argyll, the Hymer dealer off the M eight near Livingstone is called Knowe Park Caravans, they usually have a few Hymer models in stock have a look but be aware, you may well negotiate a better deal elsewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back