Hello from Scotland - and a question about cats (1 Viewer)

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Hi all,

My husband and I are patiently waiting to take possession of our first, used Rimor motorhome. We've still got about a month to go before we pick it up so we're trying not to get too excited - yet.

Currently we travel back and forth between Scotland and the Spain with two cats in the back of our roomy car. They are separated from the driving compartment by a homemade barrier constructed using electrical conduit and chicken wire which follows the profile of our car pillars and roofline amazingly well, and has been very successful in keeping them in their place. We're not convinced that the same contraption would be as successful in keeping our little darlings out of the cab of the Rimor though. I'm sure we cannot be the only folk who travel with cats. What does anyone else use to make sure their cats stay in the back of the van?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We have a cage seat belted in .They need plenty of air so they do not overheat ,a cage allows for safety ,they can see you and they should feel more relaxed lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMac59

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
Thanks for your welcome, we look forward to learning more about our new way of life over the next few months. I've gleaned some really good information already from trawling through the forum posts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrsMac59

MrsMac59

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New owner
We just let ours roam free.

Thanks, Olley. I was beginning to think it was just us. How do you keep them out of the cab area? We took advice from Police Scotland when we first decided to transport them and we were told that it was ok for them to travel free from restraint providing we could prevent them from accessing the front of the vehicle.

Thanks too to everyone for all your other suggestions. We have both a catbox and a cage and have tried the cats in them over the five journeys back and forth we've already done with them, but they just won't tolerate either. We lasted 11 hours once with two cats howling in close proximity. Even letting them roam free they still let us know they're not happy at being cooped up in the car.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The eldest cat stays under the dinette table and goes to sleep, the younger one usually sits on the wife's lap, although on one occasion it decided to go for a walk across the dash, stood looking out the window for while before trying to sit on my lap.:D

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Hi all,

My husband and I are patiently waiting to take possession of our first, used Rimor motorhome. We've still got about a month to go before we pick it up so we're trying not to get too excited - yet.

Currently we travel back and forth between Scotland and the Spain with two cats in the back of our roomy car. They are separated from the driving compartment by a homemade barrier constructed using electrical conduit and chicken wire which follows the profile of our car pillars and roofline amazingly well, and has been very successful in keeping them in their place. We're not convinced that the same contraption would be as successful in keeping our little darlings out of the cab of the Rimor though. I'm sure we cannot be the only folk who travel with cats. What does anyone else use to make sure their cats stay in the back of the van?
:welcome4:No cats, only a dog so can't help other than suggesting a cage for them and earplugs for you ;)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the danger of letting them wander about, apart from the obvious one of getting under the pedals and causing an accident for which the insurance company won't pay up and the driver is prosecuted would be something like this. :) It would also prevent a cat jumping out unexpectedly when you stop say to refuel and disappearing.

s-l1000.jpg

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed with 2 X dogs and 2 X cats. One of the risks of cats being loose in a vehicle is them deciding to jump from an open window when you lower it at toll booths etc.. You will also have to handle them at the ferry port / Eurotunnel to read their chips. Much safer to do this in a crate. Only takes one loud noise to make them run.
I bought two very large folding soft sided crates from EBay. Lighter than metal ones I found I could open an end on each and bungee them together--- creating a large enclosed " tunnel". Both cats could go outside Inside it with room to move about. You might not like to let your cats out to roam free on overnight stops.
In the motorhome they travelled the together in one of the crates wedged on the fixed bed.
You do have to be careful getting back into the vehicle if you let them roam inside, on the ferry for example. Especially if it's dark, they can hide and slip out of the door.

Type of crate I used : . I paid about ÂŁ30 each but that was 2012.

Welcome to Fun, by the way, and enjoy your travels.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suggest getting them used to the cage in the house first. For example just leave it open in a corner for a while, perhaps put a few toys or treats in it then after a week or so put their feeding and water bowls in it. Get them used to going in and out of it. It won't kill them and it will be be for everyone's safety. :)

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Not a lot of choices for you:

Tether them in the back somewhere or cage them - neither of which would be a nice way to treat animals.
Alternatively - leave them at home with someone/cattery.

Sometimes the desire to travel requires some tough decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mandthelifeboats

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coach built
Exp
2 months
Our cats wear mynwood cat jackets (made to measure harnesses) and then clipped into seatbelt,they have quickly got used to this concept. I highly recommend these harnesses easy to put on cat and fit securely.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back