Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
Hello folks.
We recently came across the MotorhomeFun website, have now signed up as members and are looking forward to delving into the forums and discussions.
We live on Rousay, Orkney - it's a 25 minute ferry trip from Mainland Orkney.
Our island has approximately 225 people living on it, a 13 mile road forms a coastal road and we are fortunate to be inundated with Norse/Viking archaeology, natural history, extensive bird reserves and a wonderfully peaceful environment.

VandM

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Welcome to Fun,
Rousay looks like a great place to visit in our 7.4 mtr Motorhome, if it will fit on the ferry.:unsure:
I would love to sit over a pint and find out what life is like living in such a remote spot, your residential history and reasons why you chose your way of life. I see lots of building plots for sale on the island, but also think about the logistical problem of getting materials and trades people to assist in building a dwelling, even how to heat the homes in the future as there are not many trees, no mains gas, so is it still peat you guys are using?, I would imagine "electrickery" is far too expensive
Hope you can share some experiences along with pictures of what life is like living on Rousay, loads of us would no doubt find your story very interesting.
Meanwhile if need any help with UK, EU touring, routes, places to stay, or anything technical, or practical there is no better place than Fun
Best wishes, hope to meet up one day.
Les & TinaL

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi VandM and welcome to FUN.

We were hoping to pop up to Orkney to view this house, Tirlot, Sourin, Rousay, but we missed out on it by only 2-days (the vendor had accepted an offer).

You may know it.

All the best,

Andrew

20210915_124759.jpg

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
Hi VandM and welcome to FUN.

We were hoping to pop up to Orkney to view this house, Tirlot, Sourin, Rousay, but we missed out on it by only 2-days (the vendor had accepted an offer).

You may know it.

All the best,

Andrew

View attachment 537000
Yes, that house is owned by a friend of ours, it's quite some place and the views are stunning. Are you sure it's off the market....?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
Welcome to Fun,
Rousay looks like a great place to visit in our 7.4 mtr Motorhome, if it will fit on the ferry.:unsure:
I would love to sit over a pint and find out what life is like living in such a remote spot, your residential history and reasons why you chose your way of life. I see lots of building plots for sale on the island, but also think about the logistical problem of getting materials and trades people to assist in building a dwelling, even how to heat the homes in the future as there are not many trees, no mains gas, so is it still peat you guys are using?, I would imagine "electrickery" is far too expensive
Hope you can share some experiences along with pictures of what life is like living on Rousay, loads of us would no doubt find your story very interesting.
Meanwhile if need any help with UK, EU touring, routes, places to stay, or anything technical, or practical there is no better place than Fun
Best wishes, hope to meet up one day.
Les & TinaL
Your MoHo will easily fit on the Rousay Ferry, lots visit here in them. Remoteness is a tad subjective, we moved here from the NE of Scotland and, as we can get 6 crossings to Orkney Mainland a day, we're better served by "public transport" than we were before. The ferry runs 7 days a week, RET (Road Equivalent Tariff) now applies so all journey prices are kept reasonable. Materials are a bit of a logistical consideration but with planning (and sharing delivery loads with other islanders) you'll manage fine.
Trades folk come over on the ferry from Tingwall every day. Most folk here now heat there houses with Air Source Heat Pumps - they work really well in our maritime temperate climate.
Our house build is straw bale with passive solar gain as the only heat source - our problem will be excess hear, even in the winter.
Orkney have produced in excess of 120% of their electricity needs from renewable sources for a decade so with a well insulated house, using ASHP is a pretty good solution. You can see our build location in this photo.
Anyone in the group visiting the area can parkup on our "drive" for free, just give us a heads up first.

Attachments

• DJI_0732_rs.jpg
    DJI_0732_rs.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 43

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yes, that house is owned by a friend of ours, it's quite some place and the views are stunning. Are you sure it's off the market....?

It was being sold by Monster Moves so we phoned them a few weeks ago (a lady called Karen who deals with Orkney) and she told us it had gone.

It didn't have electricity for a while but the main electrics were installed a few months ago by all accounts, according to Karen. It was a single lady who was selling it.

What did seem very apparent is that the agent was quite happy in selling it asap and didn't want to push the boat out to find other prospective punters who were willing to pay a bit more than the asking price - she was getting her commission I suppose so 'job done' in her eyes.

That's all of the info I have on the house.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
VandM

VandM

Free Member
Sep 15, 2021
Rousay, Orkney, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Vanners since 2010
It was being sold by Monster Moves so we phoned them a few weeks ago (a lady called Karen who deals with Orkney) and she told us it had gone.

It didn't have electricity for a while but the main electrics were installed a few months ago by all accounts, according to Karen. It was a single lady who was selling it.

What did seem very apparent is that the agent was quite happy in selling it asap and didn't want to push the boat out to find other prospective punters who were willing to pay a bit more than the asking price - she was getting her commission I suppose so 'job done' in her eyes.

That's all of the info I have on the house.

All the best,

Andrew
The house was fully off-grid - lots of solar PV, solar thermal and micro wind turbine. Now on grid for electricity but the house is very much heated by passive solar gain.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Just been to mainland Orkney. What an amazing place! Welcome to fun.

250E6DBB-4098-4670-98BD-21ACB106342B.jpeg

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Sheldon or Hardenhuish? My daughter finished off her final 3 years at Sheldon.

Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
Enjoy your location. I certainly had a great time on mainland Orkney especially Scapa Flow.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Welcome to you folk on one of the most Northern Scottish Islands from one off the South coast of England.

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
Welcome from Cheshire east!! My very good friend and her family went to live on Sanday last August...they love it šŸ’–šŸššŸ„³

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back