Free Member
May 25, 2014
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
newbies :)
Hello Funsters! We are new motorhomes and plan to head off to the Continents for a couple of months in mid-July. Is it necessary to book aires and campsites well in advance at that time of year?

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi and welcome!:Smile:

We are retired now but when we used to go in school holiday time we always booked our site as we went to the same site in Charente each year with our caravan and we wanted to be sure to get in this small site.

Now we have a motorhome it's much easier. If you have a specific site you want to stay at and no other will do, I'd say book. We would just move on and find another site if the first was full.

Lucille

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to Fun

Love the name as we are about to be the same in September
what is your conection with Dutch or Flemish

Mel & Lieve

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello welcome, if you know when you are going to be in a certain place, probably a good idea to book a site, though I don't think you can book a Aire think it's more on a first come first served basis.

Enjoy your travels :welcome:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome.

You cannot pre book aires....just arrive and hope theres a space, if not move on to another.

Camp sites in july.....definately pre book.
July is holiday season in France....and there are thousands of French motorhomers.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum from a Pompey lad now living in Devon. Someone guessed Dutch or Flemish, my guess is German connection mind you adjacent countries so could be either. We have never booked, in fact I don't think it possible to book aires, they are mostly free. Sites of course are different but we have never had the need to use those.
I recommend "all the aires of France" if it is France you are going to, or "Camperstop" for the whole of Europe, both are available from Vicarious books. Mention MHF and get your funsters discount. They are members on here.
http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Welcome, we're an Omma and Abba (Faroese). Aires are first come first served and some of the popular ones you need to get on early and often be prepared to be pretty cosy with your neighbours. :roflmto:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we still holiday during school breaks due to daughter still at school, we never book a site and never have problems finding one. So I'd just go for it that way your not tied to somewhere you might not like.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
hello and welcome, it can get a bit mad in here but who cares.
Aires are just another word for Areas and have blossomed all over Europe (except the UK) over the last few years. If you arrive at about 4pm or just a little bit later, you will not often be dissapointed. As someone already said, if it is full, just drive to the next town or village to find another one. If you use TomTom there is a free download of Aires to keep you going.
Have fun and do not worry about not finding somewhere to stop for the night, at the very worst, many campsites have a park for late arrivals which is usually just outside of the gate.
Have fun!
Alan

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Opa en Oma
Aan de naam te zien moet er een band met het nederlands sprekende deel van europa zijn :ROFLMAO:
Aan welk deel van Europa denken jullie ?
Paul en Ineke

Hi Opa and Oma
Looking at the name there must be a connection with the dutch speaking part of europe :ROFLMAO:
What region(s) of europe do you want to go to ?
Paul and Ineke

OP
OP
O

oma and opa

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Welcome to Fun

Love the name as we are about to be the same in September
what is your conection with Dutch or Flemish

Mel & Lieve
Dear Mel and Lieve, Julie and I are grandparents since April this year and jolly good fun it is, too. Hope you enjoy grandparenthood . Oma and Opa is as a result of German ancestry.
Happy days to you both!
Paul and Julie

OP
OP
O

oma and opa

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Opa en Oma
Aan de naam te zien moet er een band met het nederlands sprekende deel van europa zijn :ROFLMAO:
Aan welk deel van Europa denken jullie ?
Paul en Ineke

Hi Opa and Oma
Looking at the name there must be a connection with the dutch speaking part of europe :ROFLMAO:
What region(s) of europe do you want to go to ?
Paul and Ineke
Dear Paul and Ineke, Thank you for your reply to our post - dank je wel! I'm afraid there is no Dutch connection (except we have some very dear Dutch friends) we are looking to travel France, Switzerland and Germany.
All the best, Paul and Julie

OP
OP
O

oma and opa

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hello welcome, if you know when you are going to be in a certain place, probably a good idea to book a site, though I don't think you can book a Aire think it's more on a first come first served basis.

Enjoy your travels :welcome:
Thank you Carol, your reply is much appreciated. We are really looking forward to hitting the road. All the best, Paul and Julie

OP
OP
O

oma and opa

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
hi and welcome.

You cannot pre book aires....just arrive and hope theres a space, if not move on to another.

Camp sites in july.....definately pre book.
July is holiday season in France....and there are thousands of French motorhomers.

thanks, pappajohn, we will heed your advice! Paul and Julie :)

OP
OP
O

oma and opa

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi and welcome to the forum from a Pompey lad now living in Devon. Someone guessed Dutch or Flemish, my guess is German connection mind you adjacent countries so could be either. We have never booked, in fact I don't think it possible to book aires, they are mostly free. Sites of course are different but we have never had the need to use those.
I recommend "all the aires of France" if it is France you are going to, or "Camperstop" for the whole of Europe, both are available from Vicarious books. Mention MHF and get your funsters discount. They are members on here.
http://www.vicariousbooks.co.uk/
Cheers Wildman - My best girlie, Julie is a Pompey lass and we live in Southsea! You guessed right, my dad was German! Thanks for the tip on the books!
Play up Pompey!
Paul and Julie

OP
OP
O

oma and opa

Free Member
May 25, 2014
Southsea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Welcome, we're an Omma and Abba (Faroese). Aires are first come first served and some of the popular ones you need to get on early and often be prepared to be pretty cosy with your neighbours. :roflmto:

Hi Rolfarris, Thanks for your post and advice (and my first ever Faroese lesson ::bigsmile: )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back