Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
Hi Brian,

The Roam wasn't designed to be removed, but I can certainly understand why you would want to do so if you're changing your van. I think if you do want to do this in future, drop me a message on here and I can put a kit together for you. It would probably consist of the threaded bar, internal clamp, self-adhesive seal then some sort of blanking cap you could screw on and seal down. Certainly if we saw a regular demand for this we could make the kit available on our website.

Regards,
Lee

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome, Lee, and good luck in your new role.
You appear to be taking it seriously!

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Hi Brian,

The Roam wasn't designed to be removed, but I can certainly understand why you would want to do so if you're changing your van. I think if you do want to do this in future, drop me a message on here and I can put a kit together for you. It would probably consist of the threaded bar, internal clamp, self-adhesive seal then some sort of blanking cap you could screw on and seal down. Certainly if we saw a regular demand for this we could make the kit available on our website.

Regards,
Lee
Hi Lee,

Even if you could create a package or sorts it will aid moving from van to van, otherwise it’s a big outlay again but a simple extra way to seal would help customers like me, well would of helped.

Best wishes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Technology moves so fast that, even if only two year's later, I'd be happy to upgrade any old kit on my existing van.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍

Wyn

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think that the best way to get this lot on side is to do a factory tour ending in the beer warehouse over the road, or even just go straight to the beer warehouse. Haha

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Brian,

Regards,
Lee
In order for him to send you a private message on here you need to be a paid up member - you only have a couple of Free messages left.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Big (y) (y) (y) (y) (y) for Lee. He has just solved a very small problem for me but one of those niggly things that linger if dealers can't help.

Top man Lee (y) (y)

OP
OP
Lee Rasberry
Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
I think that the best way to get this lot on side is to do a factory tour ending in the beer warehouse over the road, or even just go straight to the beer warehouse. Haha

That's not a bad idea... It's getting pretty difficult to drive past it every day without popping in for a quick shop...

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
G'day Lee and thanks for your offer to help those of us who still listen to the wireless:winky: I suspect you're going to be busy as new technology comes over the horizon and existing ones mature/improve/get cheaper.
As it happens I have a question concerning 4G (and now 5G) antennas. I think I read somewhere that Maxview specify a minimum distance between their rooftop wifi antenna and the TV antenna in order to avoid interference. I've spoken to a well-known competitor who says that's not really necessary as all modern kit has filters which prevent interference. I'm not really interested in replacing the tv aerial with one of the new combined antennas - too tall - so I'd love to hear a real techies view on the interference issue.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Welcome from Suffolk

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Hi Lee,

I’m sure your help, knowledge and the obligatory funster product discount that you’ll no doubt arrange with Jim will be most welcome 😉👍🏼

Hope you enjoy your new role and your stay here…….👍🏼😂

Bit of a meatloaf moment (you took the words right out of my mouth)

OP
OP
Lee Rasberry
Nov 2, 2021
King's Lynn, UK
Funster No
MH
Maxview P&D Manager
Exp
Since 2021
G'day Lee and thanks for your offer to help those of us who still listen to the wireless:winky: I suspect you're going to be busy as new technology comes over the horizon and existing ones mature/improve/get cheaper.
As it happens I have a question concerning 4G (and now 5G) antennas. I think I read somewhere that Maxview specify a minimum distance between their rooftop wifi antenna and the TV antenna in order to avoid interference. I've spoken to a well-known competitor who says that's not really necessary as all modern kit has filters which prevent interference. I'm not really interested in replacing the tv aerial with one of the new combined antennas - too tall - so I'd love to hear a real techies view on the interference issue.

Hi Blackadder,

Good question. There are a few issues to address here. Let’s start with the wording of the Roam installation instructions:

We recommend leaving 30cm gap from obstacles around the antenna to avoid interference issues

Obstacles being everything and anything you might find on a MH/Caravan roof, TV Aerials, Solar Panels, Satellite Dishes etc. Regarding creating interference to a TV aerial specifically, there are a few important points to consider.
  1. Terrestrial TV traditionally used frequencies from 470Mhz – 850Mhz. From 2009 Ofcom decided to clear the 800Mhz frequency band (790Mhz to 850Mhz) to make more room for 4G, which operates from 800MHz to 2600MHz. Consequently modern boosters will filter everything above 790MHz to stop 4G signals interfering with your TV reception.
  2. As of 2020 however, Ofcom has just about finished clearing the 700MHz band (700MHz-790MHz) from Digital TV to make room for: 5G.
  3. Next, we need to remember that a 3G/4G/5G Antenna is a transmitter as well as a receiver. So you basically will have a 5G transmitter on your vehicle roof, transmitting 5G on frequencies potentially from 700MHz to 54GHz, right next to your TV Aerial, feeding a booster, designed to pick up and amplify signals up to 790MHz. Hence we’ve got an overlap and the potential for interference in the future. It remains to be seen how significant 5G signals between 700MHz and 790MHz will affect current TV setups from an interference point of view, but we can minimise the potential by allowing some physical separation between your TV aerial and your 5G antenna.
From a general obstacle point of view, it’s important to revisit the transmitter element of a 3G/4G/5G antenna. If you locate your antenna next a large metal object on your roof, that metal object will immediately reflect an amount of the transmitted signal straight back towards your antenna. This will negatively impact the signal you are trying to transmit and reduce signal strength. Also, the reflection back onto your antenna will be significantly stronger than the signal it is receiving from the cell tower. This ‘hot’ signal is not at all good for your router, as it is being a fed a signal much more powerful than it is designed to handle.

Now, to your particular query. Your TV aerial is probably mostly plastic with only a small amount of metal in it, so isn’t likely to be a major source of interference for your internet signal. It also probably has a booster that will filter out anything above 790MHz (i.e. 4G), so shouldn’t be negatively affected by your 4G antenna. Therefore, I would say try a ‘dry fit’, check your TV performance and 4G antenna performance when using both together and check for any issues. However, if you intend on using 5G in the future with this antenna, we can only guess what will happen as it becomes more prevalent in the future with the frequency band overlap. A new filter for your TV could be required to remove signals above 700MHz. You can see from a quick google search that these are already on the market and not at all expensive. In a nutshell, separation is never bad thing, and could help avoid certain problems.

Regards,
Lee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back