Hello from jp11 - Transit Mk8 minibus conversion (1 Viewer)

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
Hi folks. I'm from Northern Ireland. I've recently finished a conversion on a Transit Mk8 17-seat minibus. It was a 4.6t vehicle but I've downrated it to 3500kg with the help of SV Tech, and it's currently registered as a 4-seat PLG "van with windows".
My requirements were 4 seatbelts and 2 berth. It's been stripped out to fully insulate it but I've replaced all the OEM trim, including the roof lining.
Unusually for UK builds, I've done all the framework with extruded profile aluminium (and skinned it with IKEA panels). I'm not a joiner. But I can screw stuff together. Here is the full spec:
Renogy 50A B2B charger
Renogy 180W flexible solar panel
2 x 100AH EFB Halfords leisure batteries
Krieger 1500W inverter with one dedicated socket
240v hook-up
Chinese diesel heater
Bobil Vans hot water system
30ltr inboard fresh water tank with Seaflo submersible pump and Truma pressure switch
25ltr inboard grey water tank
12ltr hot water tank with Seaflo inline pump and Truma pressure switch, feeding kitchen sink and toilet handbasin
Toilet compartment with Thetford C200 swivel toilet and handbasin
12v Alpicool 35ltr chest type fridge sunken into the countertop
Full size kitchen sink with mixer tap
Zanussi twin hob, steel gas box underneath with appropriate drop vents
Fixed single bed in back (east-west layout) utilizing IKEA adjustable bed beams for support, memory foam mattress and Froli springs for extra comfort
Front single bed (north-south layout) utilizing drop-down table on Mappa gas-lift pedestal

I hope this hasn't been too long-winded, but I'd be interested in hearing from others who have converted a similar vehicle.
John Porter.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
:hiya2:w2f

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Sounds like you've been a busy lad ! I hope your flexible solar holds up ok ? My two flexible panels (the original and the replacement) lasted less than18 months each before they failed completely. I was up cleaning the roof yesterday and noticed a few cracks/splits had appeared in the clear plastic skin of the 2nd failed panel that's still up there.
I did a search recently to see if things had improved with flexible panels, as gluing another on top would be the easiest fix, but it seems they are still failing prematurely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jp11

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion
I used Renogy, a well respected supplier. They have a three dimensional surface, like "prismatic" if that's the word. I sicaflexed six mounting brackets to the roof. The brackets have captive studs protruding. The panel has eyelets, these were dropped over the studs and bolted in place.

OP
OP
jp11

jp11

Free Member
Aug 15, 2021
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Minibus conversion

Attachments

• 1.JPG