Hello From John & Cathy in Nth East Lincs (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Hi all...

We are seasoned travellers on our BMW R1200GS motorcycle having ridden in Europe every year since 2003... The last few times mostly Santander ferry to Spain - meandering down to the Med and back etc.. but also done the other "usual" routes for bikers - through Chunnel to France and across to the Swiss, Austrian and Italian Alps along with the Black forrest area of Germany.

We're looking to purchase a MH sometime after March 2015: I'll be hitting 55 and plan to take an early pension and lump sum etc... Hence!

Cathy will be still working - so we are planning to be regular "weekenders" and annual holiday motor-homers - in the short to medium term.

Since the decision to consider owning a MH - I have been intensively researching motorhomes of all kinds (via tinternet), reading stuff on here and other Forums etc.. Looking at types, layouts... problems and issues.. and getting to grips with trying to understand the jargon...

I've visited a few dealers in the Lincoln, Newark and Nottingham areas over the past week or so and We ( wife and I ) visited the recent Lincoln show and also the NEC - to see what they look like "in the flesh" so to speak... both new and used.

The one thing I've fathomed so far - and based on some vans i've looked at - we will be spending a few quid more than we originally thought we were going to!...

So - if all goes to plan - I (we) will be giving up the MC for a MH. Watch this space!..

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome to Fun.
plenty of help on here.

Mel & Lieve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Have a good luck before you buy as most people, including ourselves, have a few vans before getting the right one.
Quite a few also carry small bikes on the back or larger ones on a trailer so it's something that you may wish to do.
By the way anywhere near Caister.

Mike

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi from us as well.

If you fancy taking a little bike in the garage or on the back, I will just say PAYLOAD nudge nudge, check it out.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Hi John & Cathy,

We (John & Kathy) had a motorbike (Harley) and went through Spain and France many times we then bought a camper (Mazda Bongo) got a trailer and put the bike on the back. the Bongo got to be a bit small after a while and we upgraded to a small motorhome (transit panel van conversion by Auto Sleeper) also towing the bike. Since we got a second dog we now don't have the Harley anymore.

First thing you need to think about is how big? small? do you want. M/homes come in all shapes and sizes. Good luck with your search :hi:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, from sunny Scunny.
Dave(y)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Have a good luck before you buy as most people, including ourselves, have a few vans before getting the right one.
Quite a few also carry small bikes on the back or larger ones on a trailer so it's something that you may wish to do.
By the way anywhere near Caister.

Mike

I've been looking enough to make my eyes bleed...
We are restricted to 7m absolute max - drive length.. unless we do storage... which is feasible-ish..

It's sods law that the vans you really like the look of are just a few thou more than what one can afford - a bit like house hunting!.. also a compromise somewhere.. again like house hunting..

We will be carrying bikes.. but alas pedal power only... I can only cope with one toy at a time :)

Caistor is up the road a tad - we're fishy erks!..

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Hi from us as well.

If you fancy taking a little bike in the garage or on the back, I will just say PAYLOAD nudge nudge, check it out.

Payload info has been an interesting read... I am aware of the implication of all/any extras fitted and the impact... compared to manuf stated etc - as it rolls off the line.. like I said been reading and researching :)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Hi John & Cathy,

We (John & Kathy) had a motorbike (Harley) and went through Spain and France many times we then bought a camper (Mazda Bongo) got a trailer and put the bike on the back. the Bongo got to be a bit small after a while and we upgraded to a small motorhome (transit panel van conversion by Auto Sleeper) also towing the bike. Since we got a second dog we now don't have the Harley anymore.

First thing you need to think about is how big? small? do you want. M/homes come in all shapes and sizes. Good luck with your search :hi:

sounds like we're following in your foot steps.. minus pooches!..

The GS will deffo go.. I'm not that fussed nowadays - but we do have mountain bikes :)

Like I said to Mikeco - We are restricted to 7m absolute max - drive length.. unless we do storage... which is feasible...

We looked at a lot of panels and liked the FL IH PVCs - but pricey or what... oh! and only two belts.

We are now considering something with a layout like the Pilote G600L as a compact A - or that new Rio type thingy - but wonder about somewhere to sprawl...

Deffo not bothered about a fixed bed affair a the rear etc..

Or an oven ( from what I've gleaned from forums) - I'm chief cook and bottle washer here... feeding up to 8 of us (6 youths tween us) - so speak with confidence insofar as I can see there are suitable alternatives for ovens - double skillet/slow cooker etc.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Hi, welcome to the forum, enjoy your travels, especially when you get your motor home.

Simon and Marg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back